This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sound Quality Prediction Modelling for the Transient Sound of Vehicle Door Latch Closure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Door latch closure noise has contribution on sound quality of vehicle door slam sound. This paper focuses on the modelling of sound quality for door latch closure sound. 24 various latch closure sound samples were recorded to be evaluated subjectively. A novel Dynamic Paired Comparison Method (DPCM) was introduced for subjective evaluation. By eliminating the redundant comparison pairs the DPCM dramatically reduced the evaluation work load comparing to the traditional Paired Comparison Method (PCM). Correlation between subjective evaluation results and psychoacoustic metrics was analyzed to find out the most relevant metrics as inputs for the subsequent prediction model. Besides, the shudder effect induced by multi-impact of latch components during closing movement was also found strongly affecting the subjective perception of door latch closure sound. Therefore, a new metric Shudder Level which is graded in 3 levels describing this shudder effect was developed and then quantified as one of the model inputs. The sound quality of door latch closure was modeled by means of Multi-Linear Regression Function (MLRF) both with and without the Shudder Level. The results show that the model which takes the shudder effect into account gives a better prediction on door latch closure sound quality.
CitationJin, C., Zhang, T., Ma, L., Zhang, T. et al., "Sound Quality Prediction Modelling for the Transient Sound of Vehicle Door Latch Closure," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1517, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1517.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Hamilton, D. , “Sound Quality of Impulsive Noises: An Applied Study of Automotive Door Closing Sounds,” Noise & Vibration Conference & Exposition, 1999.
- Petniunas, A., Otto, N.C., Amman, S. et al. , Door System Design for Improved Closure Sound Quality (1999).
- Kuwano, S., Fastl, H., Namba, S. et al. , “Subjective Evaluation of Car Door Sound,” in Proc Sound, 2002.
- Kumar, N.J., Kumar, R.P.S., and Nair, S. , “Experimental Approach to Improve the Door Slam Noise Quality in Utility Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0095, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-26-0095.
- Siavoshani, S.J. and Vesikar, P. , “Door Closing Sound Quality Methodology - Airborne and Structural Path Contributions,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst 8(3):938-947, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2263.
- Dongxing, M., Yali, G., Wuzhou, Y. et al. , “Grouped Pair-wise Comparison for Subjective Sound Quality Evaluation,” Acta Acustica, 2005.
- Hu, B , “The Sound Quality Evaluation System for Recording Device,” in 6th International Congress on Image and Signal Processing, 2013.
- Swart, D.J., Bekker, A., and Bienert, J. , “The Subjective Dimensions of Sound Quality of Standard Production Electric Vehicles,” Applied Acoustics, 2018.
- Soeta, Y. and Shimokura, R. , “Sound Quality Evaluation of Air-Conditioner Noise Based on Factors of the Autocorrelation Function,” Applied Acoustics, 2017.