This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Control Strategy to Reduce Torque Oscillation of the Electric Power Steering System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 5, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper proposes a new evaluation method of analyzing stability and design of a controller for an electric power steering (EPS) system. The main purpose of the EPS system’s control design is to ensure a comfortable driving experience of drivers, which mainly depends on the assist torque map. However, the high level of assist gain and its nonlinearity may cause oscillation, divergence and instability to the steering systems. Therefore, an EPS system needs to have an extra stability controller to eliminate the side effect of assist gain on system stability and attenuate the unpleasant vibration. In this paper, an accurate theoretical model is built and the method for evaluating system quality are suggested. The bench tests and vehicle experiments are carried out to verify the theoretical analysis. The evaluation method proposed in this paper can not only guide the design of controller parameters, but also evaluate the control effect while the performance of several controllers are all excellent.
CitationFu, D., Rakheja, S., Yan, W., and Shangguan, W., "A Control Strategy to Reduce Torque Oscillation of the Electric Power Steering System," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1516, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1516.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Chen, X. and Chen, X. , “Control-Oriented Model for Electric Power Steering System,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0938 , 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0938.
- Zaremba, A. and Davis, R.I. , “Dynamic Analysis and Stability of A Power Assist Steering System,” in Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 1995, vol. 6, 4253-4257, doi:10.1109/ACC.1995.532736. IEEE
- Zaremba, A.T., Liubakka, M.K., and Stuntz, R.M. , “Vibration Control Based on Dynamic Compensation in an Electric Power Steering System,” in Proceedings, 1st International Conference on Control of Oscillations and Chaos, 1997, vol. 3, 453-456, doi:10.1109/COC.1997.626642. IEEE.
- Zaremba, A.T., Liubakka, M.K., and Stuntz, R.M. , “Control and Steering Feel Issues in the Design of an Electric Power Steering System,” in Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 1998, vol. 1, 36-40, doi:10.1109/ACC.1998.694623. IEEE.
- XIA Fugen , “Optimization of Control Strategy on Electric Power Steering System,” Dissertation, Tsinghua University, Beijing, 2010.
- Liu, Q., Chen, H., and Zheng, H. , “Robust Control of Electric Power Steering System. in Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2007, IECON 2007, 2007, 874-879, doi:10.1109/IECON.2007.4460159. IEEE.
- Badawy, A., Zuraski, J., Bolourchi, F. et al. , “Modeling and Analysis of an Electric Power Steering System [J],” , 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0399.
- Lee, D., Kim, K.S., and Kim, S. , “Controller Design of an Electric Power Steering System [J],” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology (99):1-8, 2018, doi:10.1109/TCST.2017.2679062.
- Ogata, K. and Yang, Y. , Modern Control Engineering [M] (India: Prentice Hall, 2002).
- Chandy, A, Bolourchi, F, and Etienne, C. , “Electric Power Steering Control,” U.S. Patent 5,704,446 [P], 1998-1-6.
- Vidyasagar, M. , Nonlinear Systems Analysis [M] (Prentice Hall, 1978).
- Franklin, G.F., Powell, J.D., Emami-Naeini, A. et al. , Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems [M] (Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1994).
- Marouf, A., Djemai, M., Sentouh, C. et al. , “A New Control Strategy of an Electric-Power-Assisted Steering System [J],” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 61(8):3574-3589, 2012, doi:10.1109/TVT.2012.2209689.
- Chen, X., Yang, T., Chen, X. et al. , “A Generic Model-Based Advanced Control of Electric Power-Assisted Steering Systems [J],” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 16(6):1289-1300, 2008, doi:10.1109/TCST.2008.921805.
- Marouf, A., Sentouh, C., Djemai, M. et al. , “Control of Electric Power Assisted Steering System Using Sliding Mode Control,” in 2011 14th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2011, 107-112, doi:10.1109/ITSC.2011.6082987. IEEE.
- Åström, K.J., Hägglund, T., and Astrom, K.J. , Advanced PID Control [M] (Research Triangle Park, NC: ISA - The Instrumentation, Systems, and Automation Society, 2006).
- Ljung, L. and Söderström, T. , Theory and Practice of Recursive Identification [M] (MIT Press, 1983).