This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an Accelerated Test for Tire Flat-Spotting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tire flat-spotting occurs when tires remain in a loaded condition without rolling for an extended period of time, and can be temporary or permanent depending on the length of storage, vehicle loading and environmental factors. Tire non-uniformity caused from flat-spots often induce shake and shimmy vibration in vehicles due to increased tire-wheel force variation input into the chassis. This results in increased warranty costs for OEMs and tire suppliers and customer dis-satisfaction in third-party quality surveys such as J. D. Power IQS. Flat-spotting is of particular concern for slow-moving vehicle inventory parked for long periods at plants and/or dealership lots.
OEMs often stipulate or recommend inventory storage practices for dealers that require physical movement of vehicles at some set duration to reduce the risk of tires developing permanent flat-spots. OEMs also provide component level flat-spotting requirements to tire manufacturers during sourcing and specification timing to secure their internal requirements and targets. The study in this paper initially determined real-world flat-spotting levels on an actual vehicle during the adverse summer months of Arizona. Tire uniformity measured on a high-speed uniformity machine were used as an indicator of flat-spotting performance. Using an environmental chamber and custom designed loading fixtures, appropriate loads and temperatures were applied simultaneously to develop an accelerated test criteria that duplicated real-world flat-spotting behavior.
The study outlined in this paper developed a two-day test using equivalent vehicle loading and elevated temperatures that produced the equivalent tire flat-spotting of a 30-day real-world storage during adverse summer conditions. This accelerated test allows a quick evaluation of tire flat-spotting performance that can be expected in adverse real-world conditions. Over the long term, it is estimated that such testing will generate more precise specifications for tire manufacturers, drive better inventory management and storage practices, reduce warranty costs and improve customer satisfaction.
|Technical Paper||Tire Selection and Performance Criteria for Original Equipment of Light Vehicles|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Off-Road Tire Replacement Guidelines|
|Technical Paper||Functional Requirements for Light Vehicle Tires|
CitationKavarana, F. and Fritz, S., "Development of an Accelerated Test for Tire Flat-Spotting," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1509, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1509.
- Mani , N. Tire Flatspotting SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1629 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1629
- Pottinger , M.G. Uniformity: A Crucial Attribute of Tire/Wheel Assemblies Tire Science and Technology, TSTCA 38 1 24 46 2010
- Boulahbal , D. , Pankau , J. , and Gauterin , F. Sensitivity of Steering Wheel Nibble to Suspension Parameters, Tire Dynamics, and Brake Judder SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2316 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2316
- Kim , K. , Park , J. , and Lee , S. Tire Mass Imbalance, Rolling Phase Difference, Non-Uniformity Induced Force Difference, and Inflation Pressure Change Effects on Steering Wheel Vibration SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2317 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2317
- Wu , X. , Wong , J. , and Farhad , M. Fundamental Dynamics of Steering Wheel Torsional Vibration on Smooth Roads SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0564 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0564
- Kavarana , F. , Yu , K. , Robbins , T. , and DeYoung , J. Smooth Road Shake Reduction in Pickup Trucks Using Hydraulic Body Mounts SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2063 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2063
- Mani , N.K. , Berzins , M.A. , and Turner , J.L. Laboratory Measurement of Tire Flatspot Tire Science and Technology, TSTCA 37 4 279 301 2009
- Park , J. , McKee , M. , and Mouch , T. Experimental Estimation of On-Vehicle Wheel-End Force and Application to Tire Flat-Spotting Effect SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2160 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2160
- Kavarana , F. , Fritz , S. , and DeYoung , J. Evidence of Real-World Flat Spotting and Its Effect on Vehicle Performance SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2196 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2196
- NIIR Board of Consultants and Engineers The Complete Technology Book on Expanded Plastics, Polyurethane, Polyamide and Polyester Fibers Asia Pacific Business Press 2006 186 187 9788178330013
- Senthil Kumar , R. Textiles for Industrial Applications CRC Press 2014 275 277 9781466566507
- NHTSA The Pneumatic Tire 2006 6 7 https://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/safercar/pdf/PneumaticTire_HS-810-561.pdf