This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Exhaust Noise Optimization Using Sobol DoE Sequence and NSGA-II Algorithms
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 5, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Exhaust muffler is one of the most important component for overall vehicle noise signature. Optimized design of exhaust system plays a vital role in engine performance as well as auditory comfort. Exhaust orifice noise reduction is often contradicted by increased back pressure and packaging space. The process of arriving at exhaust design, which meets packaging space, back pressure and orifice noise requirements, is often manual and time consuming. Therefore, an automated numerical technique is needed for this multi-objective optimization.
In current case study, a tractor exhaust system has been subjected to Design of Experiments (DoE) using Sobol sequencing algorithm and optimized using NSGA-II algorithm. Target design space of the exhaust muffler is identified and modeled considering available packaging constrain. Various exhaust design parameters like; length of internal pipes, location of baffles and perforation etc. are defined as input variables. Performance objective of back pressure and sound pressure level has also been defined in simulations workflow.
Exhaust orifice noise has been reduced with significant reduction in overall simulations time. The optimal design is achieved satisfying all constrains leading to notable productivity improvement.
CitationSethi, I., Nene, D., and Shivajirao Patil, A., "Engine Exhaust Noise Optimization Using Sobol DoE Sequence and NSGA-II Algorithms," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1483, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1483.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Sethi, I.P.S. and Shivajirao Patil, A. , “Simulations Based Approach for Powertrain Noise Reduction in Tractors,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1478, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1478.
- European Commission News Alert , “THEMATIC ISSUE: Noise Impact on Health,” Jan. 2015, Issue-47.
- Zouani, A., Dziubinschi, G., Marri, V., and Antonov, S. , “Optimal Vanes Spacing for Improved NVH Performance of Variable Displacement Oil Pumps,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1062, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1062.
- Costa, M., Siano, D., Valentino, G., Corcione, F.E. et al. , “Prediction and Optimization of the Performances, Noxious Emissions and Radiated Noise of a Light Duty Common-Rail Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0011, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-24-0011.
- Siano, D. and Bozza, F. , “Combustion Noise Prediction in a Small Diesel Engine Finalized to the Optimization of the Fuel Injection Strategy,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2077, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2077.
- Mohd Azmin, F. and Stobart, R. , “Benefiting from Sobol Sequences Experiment Design Type for Model-based Calibration,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1640, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1640.
- Maunder, M., Amphlett, S., Perchanok, M., Kukacka, M. et al. , “Streamlining the Process of Developing Intake and Exhaust Acoustics Using an Improved Linear Simulation Approach,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2062, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2062.
- Sedighizadeh, M., Faramarzi, H., Mahmoodi, M.M. et al. , “Hybrid Approach to FACTS Devices Allocation Using Multi-Objective Function with NSPSO and NSGAII Algorithms in Fuzzy Framework,” International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems 62:586-598, 2014.
- Pike-Burke C. , “Multi-Objective Optimization,” https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/pg/pikeburc/report1.pdf
- Chen, S. and Zhang, J. , “Multi-Objective Optimization of Interior Noise of an Automotive Body Based on Different Surrogate Models and NSGA-II,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0146, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0146.
- Yusoff, Y., Ngadiman, M.S., and Zain, A.M. , “Overview of NSGA-II for Optimizing Machining Process Parameters,” Procedia Engineering 15:3978-3983, 2011.