This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Structural Vibration of an Elastically Supported Plate due to Excitation of a Turbulent Boundary Layer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High-Reynolds number turbulent boundary layers are an important source for inducing structural vibration. Small geometric features of a structure can generate significant turbulence that result in structural vibration. In this work we develop a new method to couple a high-fidelity fluid solver with a dynamic hybrid analytical-numerical formulation for the structure. The fluid solver uses the Large-Eddy Simulation closure for the unresolved turbulence. Specifically, a local and dynamic one-equation eddy viscosity model is employed. The fluid pressure fluctuation on the structure is mapped to the dynamic structural model. The plate where the flow excitation is applied is considered as part of a larger structure. A hybrid approach based on the Component Mode Synthesis (CMS) is used for developing the new hybrid formulation. The dynamic behavior of the plate which is excited by the flow is modeled using finite elements. However, the rest of the surrounding structure is modeled using finite elements for the static modes and an analytical solution for the dynamic modes of the CMS decomposition. The two main elements of the new work, the hybrid formulation and the process of applying the fluid load on the structural dynamic model are discussed. Validation of the new methodology is done by using test data from the literature for the vibration of a plate excited by air flow, and through comparisons between the new methodology and traditional finite element based solutions.
CitationDiaz, J., Maki, K., and Vlahopoulos, N., "Structural Vibration of an Elastically Supported Plate due to Excitation of a Turbulent Boundary Layer," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1470, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1470.
- Fillip , G. , Maki , K. , Bachant , P. , and Lietz , R. Simulation of Flow Control Devices in Support of Vehicle Drag Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0713 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0713
- Shaharuddin , N.-H. , Ali , M.S.M. , Mansor , S. , Muhamad , S. et al. Flow Simulation of Generic Vehicle Model SAE Type 4 and DrivAer Fastback Using Open FOAM Journal of Advanced Research in Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences 37 1 18 31 2017
- He , P. , Mader , C. , Martins , J. , and Maki , K. An Aerodynamic Design Optimization Framework Using a Discrete Adjoint Approach with Open FOAM Computers and Fluids 168 285 303 2018
- Hartmann , M. , Ocker , J. , Lemke , T. , Mutzke , A. , Schwarz , V. , Tokuno , H. , Toppinga , R. , Unterlechner , P. , and Wickern , G. Wind Noise Caused by the A-Pillar and the Side Mirror Flow of a Generic Vehicle Model 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (33rd AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference) Colorado Springs, CO 2012
- Jacqmot , J. , Detandt , Y. , Lielens , G. , and Copiello , D. Vibro-Aero-Acoustic Simulation of Side Mirror Wind Noise and Strategies to Evaluate Pressure Contributions Proceedings of ISMA 2016 - International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering and USD 2016 - International Conference on Uncertainty in Structural Dynamics Belgium
- Craig , R.R. and Bampton , M.C.C. Coupling of Substructures for Dynamics Analyses AIAA Journal 6 7 1313 1319 1968
- Piro , D. and Maki , K. Hydroelastic Analysis of Bodies That Enter and Exit Water Journal of Fluids and Structures 37 134 150 2013
- Maman , N. and Farhat , C. Matching Fluid and Structure Meshes for Aeroelastic Computations: A Parallel Approach Computers & Structures 54 4 779 785 1995
- Maki , K. , Lee , D. , Troesch , A. , and Vlahopoulos , N. Hydroelastic Impact of a Wedge-Shaped Body Ocean Engineering, Ocean Engineering 38 4 621 629 2011
- Mesa , J. and Maki , K. Hydroelastic Assessment of Different High-Speed Vessel Stiffened Panel Designs Naval Engineers Journal 130 3 107 116 2018
- Heatwole , C. , Franchek , M. , and Bernhard , R.
- Heatwole , C. , Franchek , M. , and Bernhard , R. A Robust Feedback Controller Implementation for Flow Induced Structural Radiation of Sound Noise-Con 96 Seattle, WA 1996 357 362
- Han , F. , Bernhard , R. , and Mongeau , L. Prediction of Flow-Induced Structural Vibration and Sound Radiation Using Energy Flow Analysis Journal of Sound and Vibration 227 4 685 709 1999
- Allen , M. and Vlahopoulos , N. Integration of Finite Element and Boundary Element Methods for Calculating the Radiated Sound from a Randomly Excited Structure Computers & Structures 77 155 169 2000
- Yoshizawa , A. and Horiuti , K. A Statistically-Derived Subgrid-Scale Kinetic Energy Model for the Large-Eddy Simulation of Turbulent Flows Journal of the Physical Society of Japan 54 8 2834 2839 1985
- Smol'yakov , A.V. and Tkachenko , V.M. Model of a Field of Pseudosonic Turbulent Wall Pressures and Experimental Data Soviet Physical Acoustics 37 627 631 1991