This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multiphysics Multi-Objective Optimization for Electric Motor NVH
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Prediction and reduction of noise/vibration at the early design stage is important for motor design. Rapid design iterations require a platform where electromagnetic, structural and acoustic solvers can communicate with each other without user scripting or interventions. Based on the platform, multiple designs in a given design space need to be analyzed by distributed high performance computers automatically. To demonstrate such a multiphysics multi-objective optimization workflow, four geometrical variables for an interior permanent magnet motor are selected for optimizing the electric and acoustic performance (Figure 1). Average torque and equivalent radiated power level (ERP) are calculated for multiple design points and response surfaces are then created for the sensitivity study and optimization. Changes on the stator and rotor are adopted to directly address the source of the noise, and a much larger reduction is achieved compared to design changes on the housing only (7.3 dB vs. 0.4 dB).
CitationZhang, H., Ricci, J., Cai, H., and Jia, Y., "Multiphysics Multi-Objective Optimization for Electric Motor NVH," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1461, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1461.
- Tong, W. , Mechanical Design of Electric Motors (CRC Press, 2014).
- Gieras, J.F., Wang, C., and Lai, J.C. , Noise of Polyphase Electric Motors (CRC Press, 2005).
- Rosu, M., Zhou, P., Lin, D., Ionel, D.M. et al. , “Multiphysics Simulation by Design for Electrical Machines,” . In: Power Electronics and Drives. (Wiley-IEEE Press, 2017).
- Senousy, M., Larsen, P., and Ding, P. , “Electromagnetics, Structural Harmonics and Acoustics Coupled Simulation on the Stator of an Electric Motor,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst 7(2):822-828, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0933.
- Senousy, M., Larsen P., and Ding P. , “Electromagnetics Structural Coupling Simulation of Electric Motor”, in NAFEMS European Conference on Multiphysics Simulation, Oct. 2014.
- Kumar, D., Kottalgi S., Sambharam T., and Mandloi P. , “A Multiphysics Optimization Approach to Design Low Noise and Light Weight Electric Powertrain Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) Prediction of Electric Powertrain Using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Optimization,” in Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2017-43rd Annual Conference of the IEEE, 1692-1697, IEEE, 2017.