This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Release Bearing Characteristic of Diaphragm Spring under Dynamical Condition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 25, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Diaphragm spring design has a critical importance on engagement and disengagement mechanism for a clutch system. The release bearing load characteristic of diaphragm springs determines the quality of disengagement. Release bearing load may change significantly especially under dynamic conditions compared to static conditions. For instance, a significant drop in release bearing load may be experienced under high engine velocities. This is an undesirable situation in terms of clutch performance. Drop in release bearing load may cause not to be transmitting reliably torque from engine to gearbox since minimum release bearing load is not ensured. Drop in release bearing load increases incrementally in proportion to the engine speed increase. This problem has not been addressed in technical literature. Therefore, new design of diaphragm spring becomes necessary to avoid weakening of clutch performance as the engine speed increases which leads to highly dynamic conditions. In this study, the effect of some design parameters for diaphragm springs such as outer radius and embossing are investigated using nonlinear finite element modeling. Three different outer radius with and without embossing were analyzed under boundary conditions representing actual diaphragm tests. Based on the results of FEA, it is concluded that unwanted load drops increases as the outer radius increases while embossing also leads to higher load drop. On the other hand, embossing increases the stiffness of diaphragm fingers and therefore a smaller deformation and a more long-lasting clutch load performance. As a result, an optimum design is required as the diaphragm outer radius increases for a robust disengagement behavior.
CitationKaraduman, A., Lekesiz, H., and Yildiz, A., "Release Bearing Characteristic of Diaphragm Spring under Dynamical Condition," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1424, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1424.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Kaya , N. Optimal Design of an Automotive Diaphragm Spring with High Fatigue Resistance International Journal of Vehicle Design 40 1-3 126 143 2006
- Shuxin , C. , Lingyu , Z. and Xingwang , C. Genetic Algorithm Optimal Design on Diaphragm Spring by Matlab Second International Conference on Electrical, Computer Engineering and Electronics China 2015
- Wook-Hee , N. , Choon-Yeol , L. , Young , C. , Jae-Do , K. et al. A Study on Fatigue and Durability Characteristics of Clutch Diaphragm Spring According to Tempering Condition Seoul 2000 FISITA World Automotive Congress, 2000 Seoul, Korea 2000
- Abhijit , R. , Aditya , B. , Akash , K. , and Sanket , G. Design and Analysis of Diaphragm Spring of a Single Plate Dry Clutch International Journal of Science Technology and Engineering 2 12 2016
- He H. , Obubo K.. , Fujii T. , Doman Y. Optimize the Load-Deflection Curve of Diaphragm Springs for Automobile Clutches using Residual Stress Transactions on the Built Environment 67 2003 1743-3509
- Karaduman , A. and Yildiz , A.R. Optimal Design of Finger Slots of Clutch Diaphragm Spring 9th International Automotive Technologies Congress Bursa, Turkey 2018