This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact of TiO 2 and V 2 O 5 on Sintered Mullite Porous Microstructure and Soot Oxidation Kinetics Using SEM and TGA
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 25, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The exhaust emissions from diesel combustion are the sources of particulate matter emitted to the atmosphere, which are components of air pollution that implicated in human health such as lung cancer. At present the diesel particulate filter can remove PM from the exhaust gas before emitted to the atmosphere. This research is investigating morphology and structure of acicular mullite to develop the fabrication process filter in order to study particulate matters trapping and oxidation mechanisms.
This paper used two main substances to study the structure of diesel particulate filter (DPFs); Aluminum oxide (Al2O3) and Silicon dioxide (SiO2). These are mainly in the conventional DPFs. The variable substances are Titanium dioxide (TiO2) and Vanadium oxide (V2O5), which added to investigate and produce the acicular mullite DPFs structure. The mullite samples were sintered at 1300 oC with holding time of 1 h. Moreover, a constant amount of carbon black (CB) were used to open the porosity of mullite DPFs. The images of mullite porous microstructure surface were practically investigated using Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM). The image processing of two-color image was done by using Image J processing program to obtain pore size distribution. In addition, the oxidation kinetics behavior of soot was investigated by using isothermal Thermo-gravimetric analysis (TGA) method.
The results of this paper provided useful information about impact of Titanium dioxide (TiO2) and Vanadium oxide (V2O5) on mullite DPFs. Therefore, the results can be used for the DPFs development of advanced academic and the practical in industry.
- Nuwong Chollacoop - National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA)
- Katsunori Hanamura - Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Settavit Sirivarocha - King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang
- Preechar Karin - King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang
- Eakkawut Saenkhumvong - King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang
CitationSirivarocha, S., Karin, P., Saenkhumvong, E., Chollacoop, N. et al., "Impact of TiO2 and V2O5 on Sintered Mullite Porous Microstructure and Soot Oxidation Kinetics Using SEM and TGA," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1407, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1407.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Choi , S. , Myung , C.L. , and Park , S. Review on Characterization of Nano-Particle Emissions and PM Morphology from Internal Combustion Engines: Part 2 International Journal of Automotive Technology 15 2 219 227 2014 10.1007/s12239-014-0023-9
- Karin , P. , Boonsakda , J. , Siricholathum , K. , Saenkhumvong , E. et al. Morphology and Oxidation Kinetics of CI Engine’s Biodiesel Particulate Matters on Cordierite Diesel Particulate Filters Using TGA International Journal of Automotive Technology 18 1 31 40 2017 10.1007/s12239-017-0003-y
- Maricq , M.M. Chemical Characterization of Particulate Emissions from Diesel Engines: A Review Journal of Aerosol Science 38 11 1079 1118 2007 10.1016/j.jaerosci.2007.08.001
- Oki , H. , Karin , P. , and Hanamura , K. Visualization of Oxidation of Soot Nanoparticles Trapped on a Diesel Particulate Membrane Filter SAE International Journal of Engines 4 1 515 526 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0602
- Karin , P. , Cui , L. , Rubio , P. , Tsuruta , T. , and Hanamura , K. Microscopic Visualization of PM Trapping and Regeneration in Micro-Structural Pores of a DPF Wall SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 2 1 661 669 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1476
- Eastwood , P. Particulate Emissions from Vehicles Chichester, UK John Wiley & Sons, Ltd 2007 10.1002/9780470986516
- ASTM International
- Karin , P. , Borhanipour , M. , Songsaengchan , Y. et al. Oxidation Kinetics of small CI Engine’s Biodiesel Particulate Matter International Journal of Automotive Technology 16 2 211 219 2015 10.1007/s12239-015-0023-4
- Cao , J. , Dong , X. , Li , L. , Dong , Y. et al. Recycling of Waste Fly Ash for Production of Porous Mullite Ceramic Membrane Supports with Increased Porosity Journal of the European Ceramic Society 34 13 3181 3194 2014 10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2014.04.011
- Stewart , M.L. , Gallant , T.R. , Kim , D.H. , Maupin , G.D. , and Zelenyuk , A. 2010