Enabling Expanded Aerospace Automation Using Tactile Cognition Analytics
Published March 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
Event: AeroTech Americas
Aerospace assembly operations are still highly dependent on human labor and processes. This paper will describe and illustrate the transformational technologies that will enable replication of the human cognitive (in context) textural ability to assemble airplane and space structure. The paper will also provide use case examples where these innovative technologies have been applied successfully.
Without context, data are just dots, floating around without meaning. With context data becomes an enlightened component of knowledge that brings value to information. In-context enlightened knowledge provides manufacturing visibility within factory operations. Visibility is a key component of the Smart, Brilliant, or Intelligent Factory.
CitationBullen, G., "Enabling Expanded Aerospace Automation Using Tactile Cognition Analytics," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1360, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1360.
- Dowdy, J. and Elizabeth, O., “Defense Outlook 2017: A Global.”
- Survey of Defense-industry Executives, Survey: Mckinsey & Company, Aerospace & Defense, Apr. 2015, https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/aerospace-and-defense/our-insights/defense-outlook-2017-a-global-survey-of-defense-industry-executives, retrieved Aug. 2018.
- Industrial Robot History, RobotWorx, July 7, 2016, https://www.robots.com/articles/industrial-robot-history, retrieved Aug. 2018.
- A Roadmap for U.S. Robotics - 2013 Edition, Robotics in the United States of America: Robotics-VO, Mar. 20, 2013.
- MIT Technology Review: Business Report, Vol. 117, No. 6, Dec. 2014/January 2015, https://www.technologyreview.com/sublp/technology, retrieved Aug. 2018.
- Patton, J., “Overview of Security Layer Requirements for UHF Passive RFID Systems,” Unpublished, Aug. 14, 2018.
- Grieves, M. and Vickers, J., “Digital Twin: Mitigating Unpredictable, Undesirable Emergent Behavior in Complex Systems,” . In: Kahlen F.-J. et al., editors. Transdisciplinary Perspectives on Complex Systems, New Findings and Approaches. (Switzerland, Springer International Publishing, 2017), doi:10.1007/978-3-319-38756-7_4.
- ACMA Staff, “RFID and Composites Automated Manufacturing Processes,” Composites Manufacturing, Nov. 1, 2012, http://compositesmanufacturingmagazine.com/2012/11/rfid-composites-automated-manufacturing-processes/, retrieved Aug. 2018.
- Bellamy, W. III, “GE to Demo Open Architecture Plans at Farnborough,” Avionics, July 14, 2018, https://www.aviationtoday.com/2018/07/14/ge-demo-open-architecture-plans-farnborough/, retrieved Aug. 2018.