This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Non-Destructive Evaluation for High-Pressure Composite Tubes using a Hybrid Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Recently, composite materials/structures are getting increasingly used in the automotive and aerospace industry. Defects issue is commonly associated with the use of composite materials/structures. Reliable Non-Destructive Evaluation (NDE) of composite structures is still challenging due to the existence of small size defects. In this research, a hybrid approach is used to accurately determine small size internal defects. In this hybrid approach, X-Ray Computed Tomography is used as a reference to accurately determine all defect locations, then a digital shearography method is used to conduct fast NDE for in-line testing. The critical shearographic NDE parameters such as shearing angle, shearing distance and loading amount are determined and optimized based on the X-ray CT scan result. From the comparison of X-ray CT scan results and digital shearography NDE results, the detection rate of digital shearography for defects with a size of larger than 1mm is from 91.91% to 97.30%. The detection rate of digital shearography For defects with a size of 0.4mm - 1mm is from 54.17% to 84.48%. The Shearographic NDE fundamentals, experimental setup, and testing results are shown in detail in this paper.
CitationXie, X., Zhou, Z., Kolambe, H., and Bothe, A., "Non-Destructive Evaluation for High-Pressure Composite Tubes using a Hybrid Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1268, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1268.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Petersen, E.L. and Hanson, R.K., “Nonideal Effects Behind Reflected Shock Waves in a High-Pressure Shock Tube,” Shock Waves 10(6):405-420, 2001.
- Lang, L.H., Wang, Z.R., Kang, D.C., Yuan, S.J. et al., “Hydroforming Highlights: Sheet Hydroforming and Tube Hydroforming,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 151(1):165-177, 2004.
- Boyer, R.R., “An Overview of the Use of Titanium in the Aerospace Industry,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 213(1-2):103-114, 1996.
- Djordjevic, B.B., “Nondestructive Test Technology for the Composites,” in The 10th International Conference of the Slovenian Society for Non-Destructive Testing, 2009, 259-265.
- Newman, J.W., “Aerospace NDT with Advanced Laser Shearography,” in 17th World Conference on Nondestructive Testing, 2008, 25-28
- Xie, X., Yang, L., Xu, N., and Chen, X., “Michelson Interferometer Based Spatial Phase Shift Shearography,” Applied Optics 52(17):4063-4071, 2013.
- Steinchen, W. and Yang, L., Digital Shearography: Theory and Application of Digital Speckle Pattern Shearing Interferometry. Vol. 93 (Bellingham: SPIE Press, 2003).
- Steinchen, W., Yang, L., Kupfer, G., and Mäckel, P., “Non-Destructive Testing of Aerospace Composite Materials Using Digital Shearography,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering 212(1):21-30, 1998.
- Hung, Y.Y., Chen, Y.S., Ng, S.P., Liu, L. et al., “Review and Comparison of Shearography and Active Thermography for Nondestructive Evaluation,” Materials Science and Engineering: R: Reports 64(5):73-112, 2009.
- Xie, X. and Zhou, Z., “Shearographic Nondestructive Testing for High-Pressure Composite Tubes,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 11(4), 2018, doi:2018-01-1219.