This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Robust Speed Synchronization Control for an Integrated Motor-Transmission Powertrain System with Feedback Delay
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Motor speed synchronization is important in gear shifting of emerging clutchless automated manual transmissions for battery electric vehicles (BEV) and other kinds of parallel shaft-based powertrains for hybrid electric vehicles (HEV). Difficulties of the problem mainly come from random delay induced by network communication and unknown load torques from air drag, oil drag, and friction torques, etc. To deal with these two factors, this paper proposes a robust speed synchronization controller based on act-and-wait control and disturbance observer. The former is a kind of periodical controller specially for regulating problems with feedback delay while the latter is a technique for active disturbance rejection. Firstly, the dynamic model of the motor shaft is formulated, and the system parameters are offline identified. The speed tracking problem is then transformed into a regulating one. The act-and-wait control law for the nominal model is proposed regarding the new model after transformation. Determination of controller parameters and their relationship with the speed synchronizing process are discussed. After derivation of the nominal controller, a time-domain disturbance observer is integrated to enhance robustness. Effects of different controller parameters are studied through simulations. Experiments are carried out on a test bench with the motor-transmission powertrain system. Comparisons with the conventional PI controller are performed regarding transient responses and robustness. Results show that the proposed controller is able to achieve a fast and smooth synchronization process, while the PI controller is faced with the dilemma between overshoot and settling time which cannot be simply solved through parameter calibration. In conclusion, the proposed controller is suitable for motor speed synchronization control in parallel shaft-based powertrains in BEV and HEV.
CitationHuang, J., Zhang, J., and Yin, C., "Robust Speed Synchronization Control for an Integrated Motor-Transmission Powertrain System with Feedback Delay," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1206, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1206.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Zhang, L., Shi, Y., Chen, T., and Huang, B., “A New Method for Stabilization of Networked Control Systems with Random Delays,” IEEE Trans. Automat. Contr. 50(8):1177-1181, 2005, doi:10.1109/TAC.2005.852550.
- Zhu, X., Zhang, H., and Fang, Z., “Speed Synchronization Control for Integrated Automotive Motor-Transmission Powertrain System with Random Delays,” Mech. Syst. Signal Process. 64, 65:46-57, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.ymssp.2015.04.001.
- Zhu, X., Zhang, H., Xi, J., Wang, J., and Fang, Z., “Robust Speed Synchronization Control for Clutchless Automated Manual Transmission Systems in Electric Vehicles,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D J. Automob. Eng. 229(4):424-436, 2015, doi:10.1177/0954407014546431.
- Cao, W., Wu, Y., Chang, Y., Liu, Z. et al., “Speed Synchronization Control for Integrated Automotive Motor-Transmission Powertrains Over CAN Through a Co-Design Methodology,” IEEE Access 6:14106-14117, 2018, doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2810941.
- Cao, W., Liu, H., Lin, C., and Song, Q., “Speed Synchronization Control of Electric Vehicle’ s IMT Powertrain Systems over CAN with Bandwidth Constraint,” in IECON 2017 - 43rd Annu. Conf. IEEE Ind. Electron. Soc., 2017, 4650-4655, doi:10.1109/IECON.2017.8216801.
- Cao, W., Liu, H., Lin, C., Chang, Y. et al., “Speed Synchronization Control of Integrated Motor-Transmission Powertrain over CAN through Active Period-Scheduling Approach,” Energies 10(11):1831, 2017, doi:10.3390/en10111831.
- Yu, C.H. and Tseng, C.Y., “Research on Gear-Change Control Technology for the Clutchless Automatic-Manual Transmission of an Electric Vehicle,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D J. Automob. Eng. 227(10):1446-1458, 2013, doi:10.1177/0954407013482676.
- Yu, C.H., Tseng, C.Y., and Wang, C.P., “Smooth Gear-Change Control for EV Clutchless Automatic Manual Transmission,” in IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Adv. Intell. Mechatronics, AIM 971-976, 2012, doi:10.1109/AIM.2012.6266016.
- Zhu, X., Zhang, H., Xi, J., Wang, J., and Fang, Z., “Optimal speed synchronization control for clutchless AMT systems in electric vehicles with preview actions,” in Proc. Am. Control Conf, 2014, 4611-4616, doi:10.1109/ACC.2014.6858849.
- Alizadeh, H.V. and Boulet, B., “Robust Control of Synchromesh Friction in an Electric Vehicle’s Clutchless Automated Manual Transmission,” in 2014 IEEE Conf. Control Appl. CCA, 2014, 611-616, doi:10.1109/CCA.2014.6981407.
- Li, S., Yang, J., Chen, W., and Chen, X., Disturbance Observer-Based Control: Methods and Applications (Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2014). ISBN:9781466515796.
- Zhu, X., Zhang, H., Cao, D., and Fang, Z., “Robust Control of Integrated Motor-Transmission Powertrain System over Controller Area Network for Automotive Applications,” Mech. Syst. Signal Process. 58:15-28, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.ymssp.2014.11.011.
- Negm, M.M.M., Bakhashwain, J.M., and Shwehdi, M.H., “Speed Control of a Three-Phase Induction Motor Based on Robust Optimal Preview Control Theory,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers. 21(1):77-84, 2006, doi:10.1109/TEC.2005.858072.
- Zhang, H., Shi, Y., and Mu, B., “Optimal H∞-Based Linear-Quadratic Regulator Tracking Control for Discrete-Time Takagi-Sugeno Fuzzy Systems With Preview Actions,” J. Dyn. Syst. Meas. Control 135(4):044501, 2013, doi:10.1115/1.4024007.
- Chilali, M., Gahinet, P., and Apkarian, P., “Robust Pole Placement in LMI Regions,” IEEE Trans. Automat. Contr. 44(12):2257-2270, 1999.
- Chilali, M. and Gahinet, P., “H∞ Design with Pole Placement Constraints: An LMI Approach,” IEEE Trans. Automat. Contr. 41(3):358-367, 1996, doi:10.1109/9.486637.
- Dadras, S., Gerdes, R.M., and Sharma, R., “Vehicular Platooning in an Adversarial Environment,” in Proc. 10th ACM Symp. Information, Comput. Commun. Secur.-ASIA CCS ’15, 2015, 167-178, doi:10.1145/2714576.2714619.
- Insperger, T., “Act-and-Wait Concept for Continuous-Time Control Systems with Feedback Delay,” IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol. 14(5):974-977, 2006, doi:10.1109/TCST.2006.876938.