This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of a New VVT Trapezoidal Rotary Valve
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The current study introduces a Variable Valve Timing (VVT) trapezoidal rotary valve for a 4-stroke spark-ignition engine. Being trapezoidal, enables the rotary valve to change the inlet and exhaust timing continuously, therefore allowing it to control the engine load without the need for a throttle valve. The geometry of the valve is studied in detail, calculating the intersection areas between the windows (ports) of the valve and those of the combustion chamber during the engine cycle. As the valve openings are trapezoidal and the opening of the combustion chamber is trapezoidal as well, there is a multitude of geometry variables that need to be optimized. During idle the engine needs to breathe through just a very small area, while during high load operation the opening needs to be generous. Finally, the trapezoidal rotary valve system is compared to a conventional VVT system.
CitationMartins, J., Baptista, A., Pinto, R., Brito, F. et al., "Analysis of a New VVT Trapezoidal Rotary Valve," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1202, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1202.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Aspin, F.M., “Rotary Valve,” United States Patent Office Patent US2245743A, 1941.
- Reynolds, R.A., “Internal-Combustion Engine,” United States Patent Office Patent US924382A, 1909.
- Zimmerman, M.A., “Rotary Valve Internal Combustion Engine,” United States Patent Office Patent US3871340A, 1975.
- Masumura, U.A.K., “Rotary Valve in an Internal Combustion Engine,” United States Patent Office Patent US4404934A, 1983.
- Bishop, E., “Rotary Valve for Internal Combustion Engines,” United States Patent Office Patent US4852532A, 1989.
- Thomas, D., “Cylinder Head for Rotary Valve Internal Combustion Engine,” United States Patent Office Patent US7694656B2, 2010.
- Coates, G.J., “Spherical Rotary Valve Assembly for an Internal Combustion Engine,” United States Patent Office Patent US4953527A, 1990.
- Conklin, R.J., “Rotary Valve for Internal Combustion Engine,” United States Patent Office Patent US5205251A, 1993.
- Hunter, M., “Rotary Valve Engines,” Britain in 1946, [Online]. Available: http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/unusualICeng/RotaryValveIC/RotaryValveIC.htm, (Accessed in 12 2018).
- Retrotech, T.M.O., “Rotary-Valve Internal Combustion Engines,” [Online], Available: http://www.douglasself.com/MUSEUM/POWER/unusualICeng/RotaryValveIC/RotaryValveIC.htm, (Accessed in 07 2018).
- Junichi Kamio, K.K.T.K., “Controller for Internal Combustion Engine,” United States Patent US20120215419A1, 2011.
- Hosaka, T. and Hamazaki, M., “Development of the Variable Valve Timing and Lift (VTEC) Engine for the Honda NSX,” SAE Technical Paper 910008, 1991, doi:10.4271/910008.
- Titolo, A., “The Variable Valve Timing System - Application on a V8 Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 910009, 1991, doi:10.4271/910009.
- Flierl, R. and Klüting, M., “The Third Generation of Valvetrains - New Fully Variable Valvetrains for Throttle-Free Load,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1227, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-1227.
- Munhoz, “BMW Car Club Brasil,” [Online], Available: http://www.bmwccb.com.br/tecnologia_arquivos/tec-35.htm, (Accessed in 05 2016).
- F. R. v. Glehn, “Dica 531,” [Online], Available: http://www.coweb.com.br/arq/arq618.pdf, (Accessed in 05 2016).
- Fujita, T., Onogawa, K., Kiga, S., Mae, Y. et al., “Development of Innovative Variable Valve Event and Lift (VVEL) System,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1349, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1349.
- Kinoshita, K., Ueda, K., Ito, F., Shinojima, Y. et al., “Development of a Custom Integrated Circuit for Continuously Variable Valve Lift Mechanism System Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0913, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0913.
- Bernard, L., Ferrari, A., Micelli, D., Perotto, A. et al., “Electro-Hydraulic Valve Control with Multiair Technology,” MTZ Worldwide 70(12):4-10, 2009.
- BMW, “BMW Technology Guide,” [Online], Available: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_gide/articles/mm_valvetronic.html, (Accessed 05 2016).
- Lotus Engineering, “Expanding Combustion Knowledge - Lotus AVT System,” proActive Magazine 51, 2014.
- Tony Wallis, “AutoTechnology,” 2007, [Online], Available: http://home.people.net.au/~mrbdesign/PDF/AutoTechBRV.pdf, (Accessed 05 2016).
- Dantas, “AeClassic - O MUNDO (MUITO LOUCO) DAS VÁLVULAS - 4ª PARTE,” December 2, 2012, [Online], Available: http://www.autoentusiastasclassic.com.br/2012/12/o-mundo-muito-louco-das-valvulas-4-parte.html, (Accessed in 05 2016).
- Knight, G.Y., “Internal Combustion Engine,” United States Patent Office Patent US1090991A, 1914.
- Martins, J., Bon, B., Brito, F.P., and Costa, T., “Trapezoidal Rotary Valve,” United States Patent Office, Provisional Patent Application US 62/763,459, 2018
- Martins, J., “Motores de Combustão Interna,” 5th edition (in Portuguese), Publindústria, Edições Técnicas, 2016.
- Martins, J., Pereira, C., and Brito, F.P., “A New Rotary Valve for 2-Stroke Engines Enabling Over-Expansion,” SAE Technical Paper No. 2016-01-1054, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1054.
- Bon, B., Martins, J., Brito, F.P., and Costa, T., “Double Cam Axial Engine with Over-expansion, Variable Compression, Constant Volume Combustion, Rotary Valves and Water Injection for Regenerative Cooling,” US patent 9 194 287, issued 2015.11.24, Publication number: US9194287 B1, 2015
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (McGraw-Hill, Inc, 1998).
- Pattakon, “Fully Variable Valve Actuation (FVVA),” [Online], Available: http://www.pattakon.com/pattakonFVVA.htm, Accessed in 06 2016.