This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control of the Effective Pressure in the Cylinder of a Spark-Ignition Engine by Electromagnetic Valve Actuator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Internal combustion engines of vehicles which are equipped with classic drivetrains are mostly operating in variable load conditions. This fact especially refers to city driving, where the vehicle speeds are lower than in highway driving, but the accelerations are more frequent and intensive. The efficiency of the engine’s work is among others a load- and crankshaft rotation speed dependent parameter. Generally in low load conditions the efficiency of the engine is low, and in high load the efficiency is high. The authors conducted a series of road tests, searching for ranges of engine power most commonly used in urban traffic, adopting economical, dynamic and balanced driving strategies. In all strategies the passenger vehicle engine was most frequently operating in low power (and low efficiency) conditions. One of the ways to improve the efficiency of an IC engine is to raise its compression ratio (CR). However, high CR in spark ignition engines can be the reason of engine knock in high load and crankshaft rotation speed conditions. Therefore it would be favorable, that high CR would be obtained in low load, and low CR in high load conditions. These results and findings led the authors to build the variable Effective Compression Ratio (eVCR) system. A 4-stroke single cylinder engine was equipped with an electric actuator and its control system, allowing valvetrain-independent intake valve action. This work contains the results of tests of the engines indicated parameters. A dynamometer test bench was used for this purpose. The engine was tested at two operating conditions: firstly with the engines factory compression ratio of 9.2:1, secondly with CR = 11.5. An improvement in engine power and overall efficiency among others was observed in the tested areas of the characteristics. It is worth noting that there was no engine knock observed. This research shall be the introduction for eVCR  control system programming.
|Technical Paper||DRIVE BY WIRE ENGINE CONTROL USING AIR MODULATION|
|Technical Paper||Development of New Ion Current Combustion Control System|
|Technical Paper||On the Nature of Cyclic Dispersion in Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion|
CitationMamala, J., Graba, M., Prażnowski, K., and Hennek cEng., K., "Control of the Effective Pressure in the Cylinder of a Spark-Ignition Engine by Electromagnetic Valve Actuator," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1201, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1201.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Bieniek , A. , Graba , M. , Hennek , K. , and Mamala , J. Analysis of Fuel Consumption of a Spark Ignition Engine in the Conditions of a Variable Load MATEC Web of Conferences 118 2017
- Duan , J.A. , Zhou , H.B. , and Guo , N.P. Electromagnetic Design of a Novel Linear Maglev Transportation Platform with Finite-Element Analysis IEEE Trans. on Magnetics 47 1 260 263 2011
- Gabor , A.
- VCR-Variable Compression Ratio www.fev.com
- Mamala , J.
- Mamala , J. and Siłka , W. Throttle Range and Speed Motion Programming in SI Engine Internal Combustion Engines 1-2 2002
- Merkisz , J. and Pielecha , I. Alternatywne napędy pojazdów Poland Wydawnictwo Politechniki Poznańskiej 2006
- Mizuno , H. Nissan Gasoline Engine Strategy for Higher Thermal Efficiency Combustion Engines 169 2 141 145 2017 10.19206/CE-2017-225
- Yoon , P. and Myoungho , S. A Nonlinear Modelling of SI Engines for Controller Design International Journal of Vehicle Design 26 2/3 277 297 2001
- Rychter , T. and Teodorczyk , A. Variable Compression Ratio Engine-VR/LE Concept Poland Publication Institute of Heat Engineering, Warsaw University of Technology 2003
- Tomar , S. et al Optimisation of Connecting Rod Design to Achieve VCR Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications 3 6 281 286 2013 2248-9622
- Saravanapprabhu E. et al. An Analysis of Effect of Variable Compression Ratio in C.I. Engine Using Turbocharger International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET) 2395-0056 04 02 2017 www.irjet.net
- Schwaderlapp , M. , Habermann , K. , and Yapici , K.I. Variable Compression Ratio - A Design Solution for Fuel Economy Concepts SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1103 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1103
- Sun , Z.-Y. , Li , G.-X. , Wang , L. , Wang , W.-H. et al. Effects of Parameters on the Static Electromagnetic Characteristics of Solenoid Valve for an Electronic Unit Pump Energy Conversion and Management 113 119 130 2016
- Tomczuk , B. , Waindok , A. , and Wajnert , D. Transients in the Electromagnetic Actuator with the Controlled Supplier Journal of Vibroengineering 14 1 39 44 2012
- Woś , P. , Balawender , K. , Jakubowski , M. , Kuszewski , H. et al. Design of Affordable Multi-Cylinder Variable Compression Ratio (VCR) Engine for Advanced Combustion Research Purposes SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0414 2012 104271/2012-01-0414
- Budzik , T. https://moto.wp.pl/rok-2025-to-poczatek-konca-silnikow-spalinowych
- 2 https://www.rp.pl/Ekologia/181219240-Niemieccy-producenci-aut-Zmniejszenie-emisji-CO2-do-2030-Calkowicie-nierealne.html
- Collee , V. , Constensou , C. , Dubois , F. , and Guilly , L. Variable Compression Ratio for Future Emissions Standards MTZ 2017
- Mendler , C. Envera Variable Compression Ratio Engine https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc841051/m2/1/high_res_d/1014534.pdf
- Mfaoteki , K. , Aoyama , S. , Ushijima , K. , Hiyoshi , R. et al. A Study of a Variable Compression Ratio System with a Multi-Link Mechanism SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0921 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0921
- Wurms , R. et al. The New Audi 2.0l Engine with Innovative Rightsizing-A Further Milestone in the TFSI Technology XXXVI Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 2015 Wienna 2015
- Merkisz , J. , Pielecha , J. , and Jasiński , J. 2017
- Olszewski , M. Evaluation of 2004 Toyota Prius Hybrid Electric Drive System https://www.engr.uvic.ca/~mech459/Pub_References/890029.pdf
- Mamala , J. , Tomczuk , B. , and Waindok , A. Ferrodynamic Servo-Motor and Method of Operation of a Ferrodynamic Servo-Motor https://grab.uprp.pl/PrzedmiotyChronione/Strony%20witryny/Przedmiot.aspx?IdRysunku=3315651
- Kowalski , D. 2014