This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Understanding Fuel Stratification Effects on Partially Premixed Compression Ignition (PPCI) Combustion and Emissions Behaviors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Fuel stratification effects on the combustion and emissions behaviors for partially premixed compression ignition (PPCI) combustion of a high reactivity gasoline (research octane number of 80) was investigated using the third generation Gasoline Direct-Injection Compression Ignition (Gen3 GDCI) multi-cylinder engine. The PPCI combustion mode was achieved through a double injection strategy. The extent of in-cylinder fuel stratification was tailored by varying the start of second fuel injection timing (SOIsecond) while the first fuel injection event was held constant and occurred during the intake stroke. Based on the experimental results, three combustion characteristic zones were identified in terms of the SOIsecond - CA50 (crank angle at 50% cumulative heat release) relationship: (I) no response zone (HCCI-like combustion); (II) negative CA50 slope zone: (early PPCI mode); and (III) positive CA50 slope zone (late PPCI mode). Across the three zones, Zone II produced the best overall performance. In addition, a wider spray inclusion angle (130° vs. 100°) was found to allow for more retarded SOIsecond, thereby resulting in stronger fuel stratification and enhanced control authority over CA50. Finally, closed-cycle combustion CFD analysis was performed to gain insight into the in-cylinder fuel-air mixing and combustion process in all three combustion zones. CFD analysis showed that a 130° spray inclusion angle led to improved fuel efficiency and emissions. It was also found that 350 bar fuel rail pressure helped reduce overmixing of the fuel, resulting in better ignitability of the gasoline and lower soot generated in the combustion chamber.
- Wayne Moore - Delphi Technologies Inc.
- Mark Sellnau - Delphi Technologies Inc.
- Kukwon Cho - Aramco Research Center
- Yu Zhang - Aramco Research Center
- Yuanjiang Pei - Aramco Research Center
- Le Zhao - Argonne National Laboratory
- Muhsin Ameen - Argonne National Laboratory
- Wayne Moore - Delphi Technologies Inc
- Mark Sellnau - Delphi Technologies Inc
CitationCho, K., Zhao, L., Ameen, M., Zhang, Y. et al., "Understanding Fuel Stratification Effects on Partially Premixed Compression Ignition (PPCI) Combustion and Emissions Behaviors," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1145, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1145.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Kalghati , G. , Risberg , P. , and Ångström , H. Partially Pre-Mixed Auto-ignition of Gasoline to Attain Low Smoke and Low NOx at High Load in a Compression Ignition Engine and Comparison with a Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0006 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0006
- Wealls , A. and Collings , N. Investigation into Partially Premixed Combustion in a Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder Diesel Engine Fuelled Gasoline and Diesel with a Mixture of SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4058 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4058
- Sellnau , M. , Sinnamon , J. , Hoyer , K. , and Husted , H. Gasoline Direct Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) - Diesel-Like Efficiency with Low CO2 Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1386
- Cho , K. , Latimer , E. , Lorey , M. , Cleary , D. et al. Gasoline Fuels Assessment for Delphi’s Second Generation Gasoline Direct-Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) Multi-Cylinder Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 10 4 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0743
- Dec , J. , Dernotte , J. , and Ji , C. Increasing the Load Range, Load-to-Boost Ratio, and Efficiency of Low-Temperature Gasoline Combustion (LTGC) Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 10 3 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0731
- Cung , K. and Ciatti , S. A Study of Injection Strategy to Achieve High Load Points for Gasoline Compression Ignition (GCI) Operation ASME. Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Conference 1 10.1115/ICEF2017-3625 .
- Noehre , C. , Andersson , M. , Johansson , B. , and Hultqvist , A. Characterization of Partially Premixed Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3412 2007 10.4271/2006-01-3412
- Cho , K. , Han , M. , Wagner , R. , and Sluder , C. Mixed-Source EGR for Enabling High Efficiency Clean Combustion Modes in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0645
- Cho , K. , Han , M. , Sluder , C. , and Wagner , R. Experimental Investigation of the Effects of Fuel Characteristics on High Efficiency Clean Combustion in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2669 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2669
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. Fuel Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI): A Pathway to Controlled High-Efficiency Clean Combustion International Journal of Engine Research 12 3 209 226 2011 10.1177/1468087411401548
- Prikhodko , V. , Curran , S. , Barone , T. , Lewis , S. et al. Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Operating with In-Cylinder Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2266
- Cho , K. , Curran , S. , Prikhodko , V. , Sluder , C. , et al. Experimental Investigation of Fuel-Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion Mode in a Multi-Cylinder, Light-Duty Diesel Engine 2011 7th US National Combustion Meeting 2011
- Roberts , J. , Kokjohn , S. , Hou , D. , and Huang , Y. Performance of Gasoline Compression Ignition (GCI) with On-Demand Reactivity Enhancement over Simulated Drive Cycles SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0255 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0255
- Zhao , F. , Assanis , D. , Asmus , T. , Dec , J. et al. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines SAE International 2003
- Dempsey , A. , Curran , S. , and Wagner , R. A Perspective on the Range of Gasoline Compression Ignition Combustion Strategies for High Engine Efficiency and Low NOx and Soot Emissions: Effects of In-Cylinder Fuel Stratification International Journal of Engine Research 17 8 897 917 2016 10.1177/1468087415621805
- Sellnau , M. , Moore , W. , Sinnamon , J. , Hoyer , K. et al. GDCI Multi-Cylinder Engine for High Fuel Efficiency and Low Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 8 2 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0834
- Zhang , Y. , Pei , Y. , Engineer , N. , Cho , K. et al. CFD-Guided Combustion Strategy Development for a Higher Reactivity Gasoline in a Light-Duty Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0740 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0740
- Sellnau , M. , Foster , M. , Moore , W. , Sinnamon , J. et al. Second Generation GDCI Multi-Cylinder Engine for High Fuel Efficiency and US Tier 3 Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 9 2 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0760
- Sellnau , M. , Hoyer , K. , Moore , W. , Foster , M. et al. Avancement of GDCI Engine Technology for US 2025 CAFE and Tier 3 Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0901 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0901
- Borgqvist , T. , Tunestal , P. , and Johansson , B. Comparison of Negative Valve Overlap (NVO) and Rebreathing Valve Strategies on a Gasoline PPC Engine at Low Load and Idle Operating Conditions SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0902
- AVL TM 2014
- AVL TM 2014
- Horiba 2014
- AVL 2018
- Kolodziej , C. , Sellnau , M. , Cho , K. , and Cleary , D. Operation of a Gasoline Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine on Naphtha and E10 Gasoline Fuels SAE Int. J. Engines 9 2 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0759
- SGS Group 2013
- Richards , K.J. , Senecal , P.K. , and Pomraning , E. CONVERGE (v2.3) Madison, WI Convergent Science, Inc. 2017
- Som , S. , Longman , D. , Aithal , S. , and Bair , R. A Numerical Investigation on Scalability and Grid Convergence of Internal Combustion Engine Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1095 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1095
- Som , S. , D’Errico , G. , Longman , D. , and Lucchini , T. Comparison and Standardization of Numerical Approaches for the Prediction of Non-reacting and Reacting Diesel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1263 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1263
- Liu , Y. , Jia , M. , Xie , M. , and Pang , B. Enhancement on a Skeletal Kinetics Model for Primary Reference Fuel Oxidation by Using a Semidecoupling Methodology Energy & Fuels 26 2012 10.1021/ef301242b
- Golovitchev , V. http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~valeri/MECH.html
- Zhao , L. , Torelli , R. , Zhu , X. , Scarcelli , R. et al. An Experimental and Numerical Study of Diesel Spray Impingement on a Flat Plate SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 10 2 407 422 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0854
- Zhao , L. , Torelli , R. , Zhu , X. , Naber , J. et al. Evaluation of Diesel Spray-Wall Interaction and Morphology around Impingement Location SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0276 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0276
- Senecal , P. , Pomraning , E. , Richards , K. , and Som , S. Grid-Convergent Spray Model for Internal Combustion Engine CFD Simulation ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, ASME 2012 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference 697 710 10.1115/ICEF2012-92043 .
- Pei , Y. , Torelli , R. , Tzanetakis , T . et al. Modeling the Fuel Spray of a High Reactivity Gasoline Under Heavy-Duty Engine Condition ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, Volume2: Emissions Control Systems; Instrumentation, Controls, and Hybrids; Numerical Simulation; Engine Design and Mechanical Development V002T06A002 10.1115/ICEF2017-3530 .
- Pei , Y. , Zhang , Y. , Kumar , P. , Traver , M. et al. CFD-Guided Heavy-Duty Mixing-Controlled Combustion System Optimization with a Gasoline-Like Fuel SAE Int. J Commer. Veh. 10 2 532 546 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0550