This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Drawbeads Design Research
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In order to constrain the restraining force and control the speed of metal flow, drawbeads are widely used in industry. They prevent wrinkling or necking in formed panels, reduce the binder force, and minimize the usage of sheet metal to make a part. Different drawbead configurations can satisfy various stamping production. Besides local design of drawbeads, other factors like pulling directions, binder angles and single or multiple beads play an important role too. Moreover, it was found that the same beads configuration can own a different rate of change of pulling force on different gaps by experience. In this paper, to study the effect of each factor, the Aluminum and Steel sheet metals were tested to obtain the pulling force as they passed through a draw bead. Three gap cases between a male and a female beads are set to figure out the trend of pulling force. Drawbeads are installed in a Stretch-Bend-Draw-System (SBDS) test device while a tensile machine was used to record the pulling force. The results validate that the sensitivity of drawbeads vary with the increase of gap. Details of the sensitivity change and other effects were illustrated and discussed in the paper.
CitationZhang, B., Xu, W., Zhang, Z., Wang, R. et al., "Experimental Drawbeads Design Research," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1087, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1087.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Demeri, M.Y. et al., “Drawbeads in Sheet Metal Forming,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 59:10-17, 1996.
- Naceur, H., Guo, Y.Q., Batoz, J.L., and Knopf-Lenoir, C., “Optimization of Drawbead Restraining Forces and Drawbead Design in Sheet Metal Forming Process,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 43(10):2407-2434, 2001.
- Samuel, M., “Influence of Drawbead Geometry on Sheet Metal Forming,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 122(1):94-103, 2002.
- Nine, H.D., “Drawbead Forces in Sheet Metal Forming,” . In: Koistinen D.P., Wang N.M., editors. Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming. (Boston, MA, Springer, 1978).
- Li, J., Yang, G., Siebert, T., Shi, M.F., and Yang, L., “A Method of the Direct Measurement of the True Stress-Strain Curve over a Large Strain Range Using Multi-Camera Digital Image Correlation,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering 107:194-201, 2018.
- Li, J., Yang, R., Li, Z., Du, C. et al., “Effect of Pre-Strain on Edge Cracking Limit for Advanced High-Strength Steel Using Digital Image Correlation,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0394, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0394.
- Nine, H.D., “New Drawbead Concepts for Sheet Metal Forming,” J. Applied Metal Working 2(3):185-192, 1982.
- Smith, L.M., Zhou, Y.J., Zhou, D.J., Du, C., and Wanintrudal, C., “A New Experimental Test Apparatus for Angle Binder Draw Bead Simulations,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 209(10):4942-4948, 2009.
- Keum, Y.T., Ghoo, B.Y., and Kim, J.H., “Application of an Expert Drawbead Model to the Finite Element Simulation of Sheet Forming Processes,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 111(1-3):155-158, 2001.
- Hosford, W. and Caddell, R., Metal Forming-Mechanics and Metallurgy Second Edition (Prentice Hall Publisher, 1993).
- Hu, S.J., Marciniak, Z., and Duncan, J., Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming (Edward Arnold Publisher, 2002).
- Keum, Y.T., Ghoo, B.Y., and Kim, J.H., “Application of an Expert Drawbead Model to the Finite Element Simulation of Sheet Forming Processes,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 111:155-158, 2001.
- Zhang, B., Xu, W., Yang, G., Li, J. et al., “Test of Inclined Double Beads on Aluminum Sheets,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1221, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1221.
- Xu, W., Gao, X., Zhang, B., Yang, L. et al., “Study on Frictional Behavior of AA 6XXX with Three Lube Conditions in Sheet Metal Forming,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0810, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0810.