Machine Learning with Decision Trees and Multi-Armed Bandits: An Interactive Vehicle Recommender System
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
Recommender systems guide a user to useful objects in a large space of possible options in a personalized way. In this paper, we study recommender systems for vehicles. Compared to previous research on recommender systems in other domains (e.g., movies or music), there are two major challenges associated with recommending vehicles. First, typical customers purchase fewer cars than movies or pieces of music. Thus, it is difficult to obtain rich information about a customer’s vehicle purchase history. Second, content information obtained about a customer (e.g., demographics, vehicle preferences, etc.) is also difficult to acquire during a relatively short stay in a dealership. To address these two challenges, we propose an interactive vehicle recommender system based a novel machine learning method that integrates decision trees and multi-armed bandits. Decision tree learning effectively selects important questions to ask the customer and encodes the customer's key preferences. With these preferences as prior information, the multi-armed bandit algorithm, using Thompson sampling, efficiently leverages the user’s feedback to improve the recommendations in an online fashion. The empirical results show that our hybrid learning method can effectively make interactive vehicle recommendations to users.
CitationYu, T., Mengshoel, O., Meroux, D., and Jiang, Z., "Machine Learning with Decision Trees and Multi-Armed Bandits: An Interactive Vehicle Recommender System," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1079, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1079.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Koren, Y., Robert, B., and Chris, V. , “Matrix Factorization Techniques for Recommender Systems,” Computer (8):30-37, 2009.
- Melville, P. and Vikas, S. , “Recommender Systems,” . In: Encyclopedia of Machine Learning. (Springer, 2011), 829-838.
- Harper, F.M. and Konstan, J.A. , “The MovieLens Datasets: History and Context,” ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems 5(4):1-19, 2016.
- Zhou, K., Yang, S.-H., and Zha H. , “Functional Matrix Factorizations for Cold-Start Recommendation,” in Proc. of the 34th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, 2011, 315-324.
- Ocepek, U., Rugelj, J., and Bosnić, Z. , “Improving Matrix Factorization Recommendations for Examples in Cold Start,” Expert Systems with Applications 42(19):6784-6794, 2015.
- Lika, B., Kolomvatsos, K., and Hadjiefthymiades, S. , “Facing the Cold Start Problem in Recommender Systems,” Expert Systems with Applications 41(4):2065-2073, 2014.
- Aggarwal, C.C. , Recommender Systems (Springer International Publishing, 2016).
- Li, J., Cheng, K., Wang, S., Morstatter, F. et al. , “Feature Selection: A Data Perspective,” ACM Computing Surveys 50(6):1-45, 2018.
- Breiman, L. , Classification and Regression Trees (Routledge, 2017).
- Breiman, L. , “Random Forests,” Machine Learning 45:1, 5-32, 2001.
- Auer, P., Cesa-Bianchi, N., and Fischer, P. , “Finite-Time Analysis of the Multiarmed Bandit Problem,” Machine Learning 47(2-3):235-256, 2002.
- Chapelle, O. and Li, L. , “An Empirical Evaluation of Thompson Sampling,” Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 2249-2257, 2011.
- Kveton, B., Szepesvari, C., Wen, Z., and Ashkan, A. , “Cascading Bandits: Learning to Rank in the Cascade Model,” in Proc. 32nd International Conference on Machine Learning, 2015, 767-776
- Chen, C.M., Tsai, M.F., Lin, Y.C., and Yang, Y.H. , “Query-Based Music Recommendations Via Preference Embedding,” in Proc. 10th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, 2016, 79-82.
- Chen, C.M., Yang, C.Y., Hsia, C.C., Chen, Y., and Tsai, M.F. , “Music Playlist Recommendation via Preference Embedding,” RecSys Posters, 2016.
- Yu, T., Mengshoel, O. J., Jude, A., Feller, E. et al. , “Incremental Learning for Matrix Factorization in Recommender Systems,” in Proc. 2016 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (BigData-16), 1056-1063.
- Li, L., Chu, W., Langford, J., and Schapire, R. E. , “A Contextual-Bandit Approach to Personalized News Article Recommendation,” in Proc. 19th International Conference on World Wide Web, 2010, 661-670.
- Liu, J., Dolan, P., and Pedersen, E.R. , “Personalized News Recommendation Based on Click Behavior,” in Proc. 15th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, 2010, 31-40.
- Liu, L., Yu, T., Lane, I., and Mengshoel O. J. , “Customized Nonlinear Bandits for Online Response Selection in Neural Conversation Models,” in Proc. Thirty-Second AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-18), 5245-5252.
- Yu, T., Kveton, B., and Mengshoel, O.J. , “Thompson Sampling for Optimizing Stochastic Local Search,” in Proc. Joint European Conference on Machine Learning and Knowledge Discovery in Databases, Springer, 2017, 493-510.
- Li, L., Jamieson, K., DeSalvo, G., Rostamizadeh, A. et al. , “Hyperband: A Novel Bandit-Based Approach to Hyperparameter Optimization,” Journal of Machine Learning Research 18:1, 6765-6816, 2017.
- Goodfellow, I., Bengio, Y., and Courville, A. , Deep Learning (MIT Press, 2016).
- Lee, R. Kochenderfer, M.J., Mengshoel, O.J., and Silbermann, J. , “Interpretable Categorization of Heterogeneous Time Series Data,” in Proc. 2018 SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM-18), 216-224.