This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Occupant Kinematics and Loading in Low Speed Lateral Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Instrumented human subject and anthropomorphic test device (ATD) responses to low speed lateral impacts were investigated. A series of 12 lateral collisions at various impact angles were conducted, 6 near-side and 6 far-side, with each test using an ATD and one human subject. Two restrained female subjects were utilized, with one positioned in the driver seat and one in the left rear seat. Each subject was exposed to 3 near-side and 3 far-side impacts. The restrained ATD was utilized in both the driver and left rear seats, undergoing 3 near-side and 3 far-side impacts in each position. The vehicle center of gravity (CG) change in velocity (delta-V) ranged from 5.5 to 9.4 km/h (3.4 to 5.8 mph). Video analysis was used for quantification and comparison of the human and ATD motions and interactions with interior vehicle structures. Human head, thorax, and low back accelerations were analyzed. Peak human subject head resultant accelerations ranged from 0.9 to 36.8 g’s. Peak human subject thorax and low back lateral accelerations ranged from 1.0 to 17.1 g’s and 1.3 to 12.7 g’s, respectively. The ATD was instrumented with various sensors, including a tri-axial head accelerometer and 6-axis load cells in the upper neck, lower neck, and lumbar spine. Peak ATD head resultant accelerations ranged from 3.6 to 33.5 g’s. Peak ATD upper and lower neck compression ranged from -47.4 to -991.5 N and -52.1 to -740.6 N, respectively. Peak ATD lumbar compression ranged from -72.3 to -402.1 N. Cervical and lumbar shear loading and moments are also reported.
CitationFurbish, C., Welcher, J., Brink, J., Jones, B. et al., "Occupant Kinematics and Loading in Low Speed Lateral Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1027, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1027.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Highway Loss Data institute , “General Statistics,” 2016, https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/passenger-vehicles#Crash-types.
- Kumaresan, S., Sances, A. Jr., Carlin, F., Friedman, K., et al. , “Biomechanics of Side Impact Injuries: Evaluation of Seat Belt Restraint System, Occupant Kinematics and Injury Potential,” in Proceedings of the 28th IEEE EMBS Annual International Conference, 2006, 87-90.
- Pintar, F.A., Yoganandan, N., Stemper, B.D., Boström, O. et al. , “Comparison of PMHS, WorldSID, and THOR-NT Responses in Simulated Far Side Impact,” STAPP Car Crash Journal 51:313-360, 2007.
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM) , The Abbreviated Injury Scale 2015 Revision (Des Plaines, IL, 1990).
- Augenstein, J., Perdeck, E., Martin, P., Bowen, J., Stratton, J., Horton, T., Singer, M., Digges, K., and Steps, J. , “Injuries to Restrained Occupants in Far-Side Crashes,” in 44th Annual Proceedings of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, Chicago, IL, October 2-4, 2000.
- Otte, D., Suren, E.-G., Appel, H., and Nehmzow, J. , “Vehicle Parts Causing Injuries to Front-Seat Car Passengers in Lateral Impact,” SAE Technical Paper 841651 , 1984, doi:10.4271/841651.
- Rouhana, S.W. and Foster, M.E. , “Lateral Impact - An Analysis of the Statistics in the NCSS,” SAE Technical Paper 851727 , 1985, doi:10.4271/851727.
- Stadter, G., Grabowski, J.G., Burke, C., Aldaghlas, T.A. et al. , “Injury and Side Impact Air Bag Deployment in Near and Far Sided Motor Vehicle Crashes, United States, 2000-2005,” Journal of Trauma 65(6):1333-1339, 2008.
- Augenstein, J., Bowen, J., Perdeck, E., Singer, M. et al. , “Injury Patterns in Near-Side Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0634 , 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0634.
- Digges, K. and Dalmotas, D. , “Injuries to Restrained Occupants in Far-Side Crashes,” in Proceedings of the 17th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, June 4-7, 2001.
- Imler, S., Heller, M., Corrigan, C., Zhao, K. et al. , "The Effect of Side Impact Collision Delta-V, Restraint Status, and Occupant Position on Injury Outcome," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1158 , 2010, 10.4271/2010-01-1158
- Lund, A. and Nolan, J. , “Changes in Vehicle Designs from Frontal Offset and Side Impact Crash Testing,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0902 , 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0902.
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 214, “Side Impact Protection,” 49 C.F.R. § 571.214, 2010.
- Laboratory Test Procedures for the New Car Assessment Program Side Impact Rigid Pole Test , U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Office of Crashworthiness Standards. Revision Sept. 19, 2012.
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) , Side Impact Crashworthiness Evaluation Crash Test Protocol (Version X) (IIHS, July 2017).
- Miltner, E. and Salwender, H.J. , “Injury Severity of Restrained Front Seat Occupants in Car-to-Car Side Impacts,” Accid. Anal. and Prev. 27(1):105-110, 1995.
- Fugger, T.F., et al. , “Human Occupant Kinematics in Low-Speed Side Impacts,” in SAE World Congress & Exhibition, 2002, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 2002-01-0020: Detroit, MI.
- Suderman, B., Scher, I., and Ching, R. , “Likelihood of Lumbar Spine Injuries for Far-side Occupants in Low to Moderate Speed Lateral Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0494 , 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0494.
- NHTSA Third Report to Congress , “Effectiveness of Occupant Protection Systems and Their Use,” December 1996.
- “Head-Protecting Side Airbags Reduce Driver Fatality Risk by 45 Percent” , Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) IIHS Status Report, Vol. 38, No. 8, August 26, 2003
- Zaborowski, A. , “Human Tolerance to Lateral Impact with Lap Belt Only,” in Proceedings of the 8th Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1964.
- Zaborowski, A. , “Lateral Impact Studies: Lap Belt Shoulder Harness Investigations,” in Proceedings of the 9th Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1965.
- Ewing, C., Thomas, D., Lustik, L., Muzzy, W., Willems, G. and Majewski, P. Dynamic Response of the Human Head and Neck to +Gy Impact Acceleration. SAE Technical Paper 770928 , Proceedings of the 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1977, 10.4271/770928.
- Ewing, C., Thomas, D., Lustik, L., Muzzy, W. et al. , “Effect of Initial Position on the Human Head and Neck to +Y Impact Acceleration,” SAE Technical Paper780888 , Proceedings of the 22nd Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1978, doi:10.4271/780888.
- Matsushita, T., Sato, T., Hirabayashi, K., Fujimura, S. et al. , “X-ray Study of the Human Neck Motion Due to Head Inertia Loading,” SAE Technical Paper942208 , Proceedings of the 38th Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1994.
- Bailey, M., Wong, B. and Lawrence, J. Data and Methods for Estimating the Severity of Minor Impacts. SAE Technical Paper950352 , Warrendale, PA, 1995. 10.4271/950352.
- Tanner, C., Wiechel, J., and Guenther, D. , “Vehicle and Occupant Response in Heavy Truck to Passenger Car Sideswipe Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0900 , 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0900.
- Parenteau, C., Shah, J., Gopal, M., Steffan, H., and Hofinger, M. , “Volunteer and Dummy Head Kinematics in Low-Speed Lateral Sled Tests,” Journal of Traffic Safety and Prevention 3(3):233-240, 2002.
- Parenteau, C. , “Far-Side Occupant Kinematics in Low Speed Lateral Sled,” Traffic Injury Prevention 7(2):164-170, 2006, doi:10.1080/15389580500482005.
- Kumar, S., Ferrari, R., and Narayan, Y. , “Electromyographic and kinematic Exploration of Whiplash-Type Neck Perturbations in Left Lateral Collisions,” Spine 29:650-659, 2004.
- Kumar, S., Ferrari, R., and Narayan, Y. , “Cervical Muscle Response to Whiplash-Type Right Lateral Impacts,” Spine 29:E479-E487, 2004.
- Kumar, S., Ferrari, R., Narayan, Y., and Vieira, E.R. , “Cervical Muscle Response to Trunk Flexion in Whiplash-Type Lateral Impacts,” Exp Brain Res 167(3):345-351, 2005 Dec Epub 2005 Jul 21.
- Kumar, S., Ferrari, R., Narayan, Y., and Jones, T. , “The Effect of a 3-Point Harness Restraint and Car Seat in Whiplash-Type Lateral Impacts,” Spine 31(1):E11-E18, 2006.
- Mkandawire, C., Mazzucco, D., Vijayakumar, V., Scher, I, Heller, M., Morrison, H. , “Head Kinematics and upper neck loading during Simulated Low-Speed Lateral Impact Collisions,” in Proceedings, FISITA 2006 World Automotive Congress, Yokohama, Japan, June 22-27, 2006.
- Rodowicz Allen, K., Dupont, K., Smedley, J., Raasch, C. et al. , “Passenger Vehicle Occupant Response to Low-Speed Impacts with a Tractor-Semitrailer,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1125 , 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1125.
- Mathews, E., Balasubramanian, S., Seacrist, T., Maltese, M., Arbogast, K., Kent, R., Forman, J., Higuchi, K., Tanji, H. , “Comparison of Pediatric and Young Adult Far-Side Head Kinematics in Low-Speed Lateral and Oblique Impacts,” in 23rd International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV), Seoul, South Korea, May 27-30, 2013.
- Kloppenborg, N., Amenson, T., Wernik, J., Wiechel, J. , “Low-Speed Go-Kart Crash Tests and a Comparison to Activities of Daily Living,” ASME J. Risk Uncertainty Part B 4(4), 041010 (May 02, 2018), Paper No: RISK-16-1022, 10.1115/1.4039357
- Alem, N.M. and Holstein, G.L. , “Measurement of 3-D Motion,” in UM-HSRI-77-46, presented at 5th Annual International Workshop on Human Subjects for Biomechanical Research, Oct. 18, 1977.
- Szabo, T.J. and Welcher, J.B. , “Human Subject Kinematics and Electromyographic Activity During Low Speed Rear Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 962432 , 1996, doi:10.4271/962432.
- Siegmund, G.P., King, D.J., Lawrence, J.M., Wheeler, J.B. et al. , “Head/Neck Kinematic Response of Human Subjects in Low-Speed Rear-End Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 973341 , 1997, doi:10.4271/973341.
- Anderson, R.L., Miller, E.R., and Anderson, R.D. , “Occupant Kinematics in Low Speed Motor Vehicle Accidents and Evaluation of Common Analogies,” in Proceedings of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) 60th Annual Meeting, Vol. 14, Washington, DC, 2008.
- Funk, J.R., Cormier, J.M., Bain, C.E., Guzman, H., Bonugli, E. , “An Evaluation of Various Neck Injury Criteria in Vigorous Activities,” in IRCOBI Conference, Maastricht (The Netherlands), September 2007.
- Funk, J.R., Cormier, J.M., Bain, C.E., Guzman, H., Bonugli, E., and Manoogian, S.J. , “Head and Neck Loading in Everyday and Vigorous Activities,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 39, No. 2, February 2011 (©2010) pp. 766-776, DOI: 10.1007/s10439-010-0183-3.
- Bussone, W.R., Prange, M., Bove, R.T., and Daniel, T. , “Neck Loads in Playground Activities in a Pediatric Population,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5(1), 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0560.
- Vijayakumar et al. , “Head Kinematics and Upper Neck Loading During Simulated Low-Speed Rear-End Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0247 , 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0247.
- Hosea, T.M., Gatt, C.J., Galli, K.M., Langrana, N.A, and Zawadsky, J.P. , “Biochemical Analysis of the Golfer’s Back,” in Proceedings of the First World Scientific Congress of Golf, Cochran, A. , Editor, 1990, London, United Kingdom, 43-48.
- Beach, T.A.C., Howarth, S.J., and Callaghan, J.P. , “Muscular Contribution to Low-Back Loading and Stiffness During Standard and Suspended Push-Ups,” Human Movement Science 27:457-472, 2008.
- Wilke, H.J., Neef, P., Caimi, M., Hoogland, T., and Claes, L. , “New In Vivo Measurements of Pressures in the Intervertebral Disc in Daily Life,” Spine 24(8):755-762, 1999.
- Lee, K.S., Chaffin, D.B., Herrin, G.D., and Waikar, A.M. , “Effect of Handle Height on Lower-Back Loading in Cart Pushing and Pulling,” Applied Ergonomics 22(2):117-123, April, 1991.
- Manoogian, S.J., Funk, J.R., Cormier, J.M., Bain, C.E. et al. , “Evaluation of Thoracic and Lumbar Accelerations of Volunteers in Vertical and Horizontal Loading,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0146 , 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0146.