This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Temperature on Mechanical Response of Lithium Ion Batteries to External Abusive Loads
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper focuses on mechanical properties of lithium ion batteries subjected to mechanical loading. Researchers have studied mechanical properties of batteries under room temperature. However, the operating temperature for these cells can change from -20 to +60 degrees Celsius. Therefore, characterization of cell’s response under varying temperature is of utmost importance. We have tested battery components and cells at a range of temperatures and have documented the changes in mechanical properties. Our results show that extreme hot or cold temperatures can have a significant effect on the mechanical response of lithium ion batteries under crush and indentation.
CitationGilaki, M. and Sahraei, E., "Effects of Temperature on Mechanical Response of Lithium Ion Batteries to External Abusive Loads," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1002, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1002.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Sahraei, E., Hill, R., and Wierzbicki, T., “Calibration and Finite Element Simulation of Pouch Lithium-Ion Batteries for Mechanical Integrity,” Journal of Power Sources 201:307-321, 2012.
- Kermani, G. and Sahraei, E., “Characterization and Modeling of the Mechanical Properties of Lithium-Ion Batteries,” Energies 19, 2017.
- Zhang, X., Zhu, J., and Sahraei, E., “Degradation of Battery Separators Under Charge-Discharge Cycles,” RSC Advances 7(88):56099-56107, 2017.
- Dixon, B., Mason, A., and Sahraei, E., “Effects of Electrolyte, Loading Rate and Location of Indentation on Mechanical Integrity of Li-Ion Pouch Cells,” Journal of Power Sources 396:412-420, 2018.
- Li, W., Xia, Y., Chen, G., and Sahraei, E., “Comparative Study of Mechanical-Electrical-Thermal Responses of Pouch, Cylindrical, and Prismatic Lithium-Ion Cells under Mechanical Abuse,” Science China Technological Sciences 61(10):1472-1482, 2018.
- Sheidaei, A., Xiao, X., Huang, X., and Hitt, J., “Mechanical Behavior of a Battery Separator in Electrolyte Solutions,” Journal of Power Sources 196(20):8728-8734, 2011.
- Wierzbicki, T. and Sahraei, E., “Homogenized Mechanical Properties for the Jellyroll of Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Cells,” Journal of Power Sources 241:467-476, 2013.
- Gilaki, M. and Avdeev, I., “Impact Modeling of Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Battery Cells: A Heterogeneous Approach,” Journal of Power Sources 328:443-451, 2016.
- Zhang, X., Sahraei, E., and Wang, K., “Li-Ion Battery Separators, Mechanical Integrity and Failure Mechanisms Leading to Soft and Hard Internal Shorts,” Scientific Reports 6, 2016.
- Zhang, X., Sahraei, E., and Wang, K., “Deformation and Failure Characteristics of Four Types of Lithium-Ion Battery Separators,” Journal of Power Sources 327:693-701, 2016.
- Zhu, J., Li, W., Xia, Y., and Sahraei, E., “Testing and Modeling the Mechanical Properties of the Granular Materials of Graphite Anode,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society 165(5):A1160-A1168, 2018.
- Zhu, J., Zhang, X., Luo, H., and Sahraei, E., “Investigation of the Deformation Mechanisms of Lithium-Ion Battery Components Using In-Situ Micro Tests,” Applied Energy 224:251-266, 2018.
- Luo, H., Zhu, J., Sahraei, E., and Xia, Y., “Adhesion Strength of the Cathode in Lithium-Ion Batteries Under Combined Tension/Shear Loadings,” RSC Advances 8(8):3996-4005, 2018.
- Sahraei, E., Campbell, J., and Wierzbicki, T., “Modeling and Short Circuit Detection of 18650 Li-Ion Cells under Mechanical Abuse Conditions,” Journal of Power Sources 220:360-372, 2012.
- Sahraei, E., Meier, J., and Wierzbicki, T., “Characterizing and Modeling Mechanical Properties and Onset of Short Circuit for Three Types of Lithium-Ion Pouch Cells,” Journal of Power Sources 247:503-516, 2014.
- Avdeev, I.V. and Gilaki, M., “Explicit Dynamic Simulation of Impact in Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Batteries,” 461-467, Houston, TX, 2012.
- Avdeev, I. and Gilaki, M., “Structural Analysis and Experimental Characterization of Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Battery Cells Subject to Lateral Impact,” Journal of Power Sources 271:382-391, 2014.
- Kisters, T., Sahraei, E., and Wierzbicki, T., “Dynamic Impact Tests on Lithium-Ion Cells,” International Journal of Impact Engineering 1-12, 2017.
- Kermani, G. and Sahraei, E., “Dynamic Impact Response of Lithium-Ion Batteries, Constitutive Properties and Failure Model,” RSC Advances, 2019.
- Xia, Y., Wierzbicki, T., Sahraei, E., and Zhang, X., “Damage of Cells and Battery Packs Due to Ground Impact,” Journal of Power Sources 267:78-97, 2014.
- Liu, B., Zhang, J., Zhang, C., and Xu, J., “Mechanical Integrity of 18650 Lithium-Ion Battery Module: Packing Density and Packing Mode,” Engineering Failure Analysis 91:315-326, 2018.