Exergoeconomic Analysis and Modelling of LM2500+G4 Engine for Marine Propulsion and Cogeneration Application
The current global energy scenario demands for fuel efficient and cost effective thermal systems of energy conversion. It leads to investigation of techniques which can minimize the energy wastage and maximize the utilization of energy. In this regard the present paper proposes a configuration (LM2500+G4 marine engine manufactured by M/S GE Aviation for cogeneration application) for marine propulsion and cogeneration. The exhaust gas temperature of LM2500+G4 marine engine is around 800 K hence heat of this exhaust stream can be utilized to produce process steam for further use. In this particular work the aforesaid configuration has been exergoeconomically analyzed to predict the total cost rate (investment cost rate + fuel cost rate) of the system. The “Average Cost Theory” has been approached for the exergoeconomic analysis. The exergoeconomic analysis is the combined study of thermodynamic concepts and economic principles. Methodology utilizes the exergy concept of thermodynamics for cost assignment which is why it is called as “Exergoeconomic Analysis”. The present work deals with the thermodynamic performance prediction of proposed engine configuration as well as it also reveal the cost related data of the same. The results obtained from exergoeconomic analysis show that by generating steam in heat recovery steam generator the exergetic efficiency of cycle has been improved by 40%. The result of analysis also shows that investment cost flow rate (
CitationSahu, M., Choudhary, T., Sahu, A., and S, S., "Exergoeconomic Analysis and Modelling of LM2500+G4 Engine for Marine Propulsion and Cogeneration Application," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0903, 2019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
- Eyringer, V., Köhler, H.W., Lauer, A., and Lemper, B., “Emissions from International Shipping: 2. Impact of Future Technologies on Scenarios until 2050,” J Geophys Res 110:D17306, 2005.
- Brady, E.F. and Dubios, J.P., “Innovative Concepts for Naval Ship Systems,” Nav Eng J 94:214-231, 1982.
- The Motor Ship, “Alternatives to the Diesel Engine for Marine Propulsion,” The Motor Ship 62:49-50, 1982.
- Mills, R.G., “Greater Ship Capability and Energy Saving with Combined-Cycle Machinery,” Nav Eng J 89:17-25, 1977.
- Merz, C.A. and Pakula, T.J., “The Design, and Operational Characteristics of a Combined Cycle Marine Power Plant,” ASME Paper 72-GT-90, 1972.
- Brady, E.F., “Energy Conservation for Propulsion of Naval Vessels,” Nav Eng J 93:131-144, 1981.
- Sahu, M.K., Choudhary, T., and Sanjay, “Thermoeconomic Investigation of Different Gas Turbine Cycle Configurations for Marine Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2228, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2228.
- Abott, J.W., McIntire, J.G., and Rubis, C.J., “A Dynamic Analysis of a COGAS Propulsion Plant,” Nav Eng J 89:19-34, 1977.
- Ahmadi, P., Dincer, I., and Rosen, M.A., “Exergo-Environmental Analysis of an Integrated Organic Rankine Cycle for Trigeneration,” Energy Convers Manage 64:447-453, 2012.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Investigation of the Effect of Air Film Blade Cooling on Thermoeconomics of Gas Turbine Based Power Plant Cycle,” Energy 115:1320-1330, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2016.09.069.
- Mithilesh Kumar Sahu, S., “Exergoeconomic Investigation of Power Utility Based on Air Film Blade Cooled Gas Turbine Cycle,” Applied Thermal Engineering 122:738-746, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.05.052.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Comparative Exergoeconomic Analysis of Basic and Reheat Gas Turbine with Air Film Blade Cooling,” Energy 132:160-170, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2017.05.025.
- Mithilesh Kumar Sahu, S., “Thermoeconomic Investigation of Basic and Intercooled Gas Turbine Based Power Utilities Incorporating Air-film Blade Cooling,” Journal of Cleaner Production 132:160-170, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2017.05.025.
- Sahu M.K., Sanjay, “Thermoeconomic Investigation of Power Utilities: Intercooled Recuperated Gas Turbine Cycle Featuring Cooled Turbine Blades”, Energy. 138: 490-499, 2017. doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.07.083
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Comparative Exergoeconomics of Power Utilities: Air-Cooled Gas Turbine Cycle and Combined Cycle Configurations,” Energy 139:42-51, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2017.07.131.
- Sahu, M.K., Choudhary, T., and Sanjay, “Exergoeconomic Analysis of Air Cooled Turboprop Engine: Air Craft Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2044, 2016, doi:10.4271/2017-01-2044.
- Touloukian, Y.S. and Tadash, M., Thermo-Physical Properties of Matter, The TPRC Data Series, Vol. 6 (New York, Washington, IFI/Plenunm, 1970).
- Bejan, A., Tsatsaronis, G., and Moran, M., Thermal Design and Optimization (New York: Wiley, 1996).
- Seyyedi, S.M., Ajam, H., and Farahat, S., “A New Approach for Optimization of Thermal Power Plant Based on the Exergoeconomic Analysis and Structural Optimization Method: Application to the CGAM Problem,” Energy Convers Manage 51:2202-2211, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2010.03.014.
- Tsatsaronis, G. and Cziesla, F., Thermoeconomics, Encyclopedia of Science and Technology Third Edition. Vol. 16 (2002), 659-680.
- “MATLAB and Statistics Toolbox Release,” 2012b, The Math Works, Inc., Natick, MA.
- Sanjay, S.O. and Prasad, B.N., “Comparative Performance Analysis of cogeneration Gas Turbine Cycle for Different Blade Cooling means,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences 48:1432-1440, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2008.11.016.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Thermoeconomic Investigation of Different Gas Turbine Cycle Configuration’s For Marine Application,” SAE Technical Paper, 2016-01-2228, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2228.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, M.S., “Application of Thermoeconomic Analysis on CGAM and Recuperated Gas Turbine Cycle,” International journal of Mechanical engineering and Information Technology 3(6):1312-1324, 2015, doi:06.2015-61975874.
- Sahu, M.K., Sanjay et al., “Energy and Exergy Analysis of Complex Intercooled-Recuperated Gas Turbine Based Power Plant With Cooled Turbine Blades,” ISST Journal of Mechanical Engineering 5(1):49-57, 2014.
- Mishra, S., Sahu, M.K., and Sanjay, “Thermo-Dynamic Performance Investigation of Gas/Steam Combined Cycle Based on Exergy Analysis,” International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science 4(8):558-570, 2016.
- Mishra, S. and Sahu, M.K., “Comparative Thermo-Dynamic Performance Evaluation of Cooled Gas Turbine Plant,” International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science 4(9):1320-1330, 2016.
- Sahu, M.K. and Mishra, S., “Performance Analysis of Reheated Gas Turbine Based Power Plant Cycle,” International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science 4(9):160-170, 2016.
- Kumari, A., Choudhary, T., Sanjay, Y., Murty, P. et al., “Thermodynamic and Emission Analysis of Basic and Intercooled Gas Turbine Cycles,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2426, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2426.
- Choudhary, T., Sahu, M.K., and Sanjay, “CFD Modeling of SOFC Cogeneration System for Building Application,” Energy Procedia 109:361-368, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2017.03.087.
- Sahu, M.K., Sanjay, and Choudhary, T., “Exergoeconomic Analysis of Air Cooled Turboprop Engine: Air Craft Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2044, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-2044.
- Choudhary, T., Sahu, M.K., and Sanjay, “Thermodynamic Analysis of Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Gas Turbine Hybrid System for Aircraft Power Generation,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2062, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-2062.