This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Road to Virtual Tuning: New Physical Lump Model and Test Protocol to Support Damper Tuning in Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Center
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Vehicle dynamics is a fundamental part of vehicle performance.
It combines functional requirements (i.e. road safety) with emotional content (“fun to drive”, “comfort”): this balance is what characterizes the car manufacturer (OEM) driving DNA.
To reach the customer requirements on Ride & Handling, integration of CAE and testing is mandatory. Beside of cutting costs and time, simulation helps to break down vehicle requirements to component level.
On chassis, the damper is the most important component, contributing to define the character of the vehicle, and it is defined late, during tuning, mainly by experienced drivers. Usually 1D lookup tables Force vs. Velocity, generated from tests like the standard VDA, are not able to describe the full behavior of the damper: different dampers display the same Force vs. Velocity curve but they can give different feeling to the driver. Consequently, the capability to represent the full damper behavior, in testing and numerical simulation, is fundamental.
To do that, a new CAE damper model and an advanced testing protocol have been developed in collaboration between Hyundai Motor Group and Politecnico di Torino. The model has been developed in Matlab/Simulink® to be integrated with the CAE process used in HMETC (e.g. Driving Simulator).
It represents the damper behavior by the physics of its components (such as rod, valves components, etc.). Most of the parameters are sourced from damper BIM or by measuring them. The model has been verified against the output of the testing protocol, showing a good level of correlation up to 30 Hz.
The test protocol has been developed to provide more detailed informations about the damper force evolution under quasi-static and dynamic conditions.
A new way to analyze results in frequency domain has been proposed, to better understand, describe and correlate the damper performance to whole vehicle behavior.
|Technical Paper||A Joint Simulink Boost Power Converter and Injector Valve Model|
|Technical Paper||A Mathematical Model for Exhaust System Vibrations Caused by Road Surface Inputs|
- Alessandro Salgarello - Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Ctr. GmbH
- Antonino Pizzuto - Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Ctr. GmbH
- Daniel Hahn - Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Ctr. GmbH
- Alessandro Ferraris - Politecnico di Torino
- Andrea Giancarlo Airale - Politecnico di Torino
- Massimiliana Carello - Politecnico di Torino
CitationSalgarello, A., Pizzuto, A., Hahn, D., Ferraris, A. et al., "Road to Virtual Tuning: New Physical Lump Model and Test Protocol to Support Damper Tuning in Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Center," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0855, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0855.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Carello , M. , Brusaglino , G. , Razzetti , M. , Carlucci , A.P. et al. New Technologies Demonstrated at the Formula Electric and Hybrid Italy 2008 24th International Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Symposium and Exhibition EVS24 Stavanger (Norway) May 13-16, 2009 2009 20326653
- Filippo , N. , Carello , M. , D'Auria , M. , and Marcello , A. Optimization of IDRApegasus: Fuel Cell Hydrogen Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0964 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0964
- Ferraris , A. , Xu , S. , Airale , A.G. , and Carello , M. Design and Optimization of XAM 2.0 Plug-in Powertrain International Journal of Vehicle Performance, Inderscience 3 25 2017 10.1504/IJVP.2017.10004910
- Carello , M. , De Vita , A. , and Ferraris , A. Method for Increasing the Humidity in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Fuel Cells 16 2 157 164 2016 10.1002/fuce.201500110
- De Vita , A. , Maheshwari , A. , Destro , M. , Santarelli , M. et al. Transient Thermal Analysis of a Lithium-ion Battery Pack Comparing Different Cooling Solutions for Automotive Applications Applied Energy 206 12 0306 2619 2017 10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.08.184
- Cubito , C. , Rolando , L. , Ferraris , A. , Carello , M. et al. Design of the Control Strategy for a Range Extended Hybrid Vehicle by Means of Dynamic Programming Optimization IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) Los Angeles, CA, USA Jun. 11-14, 2017 8 1 10.1109/IVS.2017.7995881
- Cittanti D. , Ferraris A. , Airale , A.G. , Fiorot , S. et al. Modeling Li-Ion Batteries for Automotive Application: A Trade-Off between Accuracy and Complexity International Conference of Electrical and Electronic Technologies for Automotive Torino Jun. 15-16, 2017 8 2017 10.23919/EETA.2017.7993213
- Genta , G. and Morello , L. The Automotive Chassis 1-2 Springer 2009
- Gillespie , T.D. Vehicle Dynamics Warren Date 1997
- Guiggiani , M. The Science of Vehicle Dynamics: Handling, Braking Ride of Road and Race Cars Springer Science 2014
- Duym , S.W. Simulation Tools, Modelling and Identification for an Automotive Shock Absorber in the Context of Vehicle Dynamics Vehicle System Dynamics 33 4 261 285 2000
- Duym , S. , Stiens , R. , Baron , V. , and Reybrouck , K.G. Physical Modelling of the Hysteretic Behavior of Automotive Shock Absorbers SAE Technical Paper 970101 1997 10.4271/970101
- Bongiovanni , G. and Roccati , G. Le Molle: Tipi e Criteri Di Calcolo Italy Levrotto & Bella 1994
- American Meteorological Society 2012
- Boes , C. 1995
- De Wit , C.C. , Olsson , H. , Astrom , K.J. , and Lischinsky , P. A New Model for Control of Systems with Friction IEEE Transaction on Automatic Control 40 3 419 425 1995
- Do , N.B. , Ferri , A.A. , and Bauchau , O.A. Efficient Simulation of a Dynamic System with Lugre Friction Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics 2 4 281 289 2007
- Armstrong-Hélouvry , B. , Dupont , P. , and De Wit , C. A Survey of Models, Analysis Tools and Compensation Methods for the Control of Machines with Friction Automatica 30 7 1083 1138 1994
- Fukushima , N. , Hidaka , K. , and Iwata , K. Optimum Characteristics of Automotive Shock Absorbers under Various Driving Conditions and Road Surfaces International Journal of Vehicle Design 4 5 463 472 1983
- Dixon , J.C. The Shock Absorber Handbook John Wiley & Sons 2008