This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Target Cascading Method Using Model Based Simulation in Early Stage of Vehicle Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the early stages of vehicle development, it is important for decision makers to understand a feasible constraint region that satisfies all system level requirements. The purpose of this paper is to propose a target cascading method to solve for a feasible design region which satisfies all constraints of the system based on model based simulation. In this method, the feasible design region is explored by using both global optimization methods and active learning techniques. In optimization problems, the inverse problem for understanding feasibility for specific designs is defined and solved. To determine the objective functions of the inverse problem, an index representing the achievement level of constraints from system requirements is introduced. To predict feasible regions in the specific design space, a surrogate model of minimized values of the index is trained by using a kriging model. Training data of the surrogate model is sequentially generated based on the expected improvement function to improve accuracy of feasible regions effectively.
|Technical Paper||Human Modeling in the Product Lifecycle Management of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner™|
|Journal Article||Robust Optimal Design for Enhancing Vehicle Handling Performance|
|Technical Paper||Color Shading Technology for Design CAD Systems|
CitationShintani, K., Abe, A., and Yamamoto, Y., "A Target Cascading Method Using Model Based Simulation in Early Stage of Vehicle Development," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0836, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0836.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Montgomery, D.C., Design and Analysis of Experiments (John Wiley & Sons, 2017).
- Gorissen, D. et al., “A Surrogate Modeling and Adaptive Sampling Toolbox for Computer Based Design,” Journal of Machine Learning Research 11.Jul 2051-2055, 2010.
- Feurer, M. et al., “Efficient and Robust Automated Machine Learning,” Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 2015.
- Melchers, R.E. and Beck, A.T., Structural Reliability Analysis and Prediction (John Wiley & Sons, 2018).
- Martins, J.R.R.A. and Lambe, A.B., “Multidisciplinary Design Optimization: A Survey of Architectures,” AIAA Journal 51:9, 2049-2075, 2013.
- Kroo, I. et al., “Multidisciplinary Optimization Methods for Aircraft Preliminary Design,” in 5th Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, 1994.
- De, M., Angel-Victor. Two Decomposition Algorithms for Nonconvex Optimization Problems with Global Variables, Stanford University, 2001.
- Roth, B. and Kroo, I., “Enhanced Collaborative Optimization: Application to an Analytic Test Problem and Aircraft Design,” in 12th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, 2008.
- Tao, S. et al., “Enhanced Collaborative Optimization Using Alternating Direction Method of Multipliers,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 1-18, 2018.
- Braun, R.D., Moore, A.A., and Kroo, I.M., “Collaborative Approach to Launch Vehicle Design,” Journal of spacecraft and rockets 34:4, 478-486, 1997.
- Cai, G. et al., “Optimization of System Parameters for Liquid Rocket Engines with Gas-Generator Cycles,” Journal of Propulsion and Power 26:1, 113-119, 2010.
- Budianto, I.A. and Olds, J.R., “DESIGN and Deployment of a Satellite Constellation Using Collaborative Optimization,” Journal of spacecraft and rockets 41:6, 956-963, 2004.
- Ledsinger, L.A. and Olds, J.R., “Optimized Solutions for Kistler K-1 Branching Trajectories Using Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Techniques,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets 39.3 420-429, 2002.
- Perez, R. E., Liu H. H. T., and Behdinan K.. "Multidisciplinary Optimization Framework for Control-Configuration Integration in Aircraft Conceptual Design." Journal of Aircraft 43.6 (2006): 1937-1948. Manning, V.M., Large-Scale Design of Supersonic Aircraft Via Collaborative Optimization, 1999.
- Allison, J. et al., “Aircraft Family Design Using Decomposition-Based Methods,” in 11th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, 2006.
- Kim, H.M. et al., “Target Cascading in Optimal System Design,” Journal of Mechanical Design 125:3, 474-480, 2003.
- Kim, H.M., Chen, W., and Wiecek, M.M., “Lagrangian Coordination for Enhancing the Convergence of Analytical Target Cascading,” AIAA Journal 44(10):2197-2207, 2006.
- Tosserams, S. et al., “An Augmented Lagrangian Relaxation for Analytical Target Cascading Using the Alternating Direction Method of Multipliers,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 31(3):176-189, 2006.
- Tosserams, S. et al., “A Nonhierarchical Formulation of Analytical Target Cascading,” Journal of Mechanical Design 132:5, 051002, 2010.
- Kim, H.M. et al., “Analytical Target Cascading in Automotive Vehicle Design,” Journal of Mechanical Design 125:3, 481-489, 2003.
- Settles, B., “Active Learning,” Synthesis Lectures on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning 6:1, 1-114, 2012.
- Ito, K. et al., “Design Space Exploration Using Self-Organizing Map Based Adaptive Sampling,” Applied Soft Computing 43:337-346, 2016.
- Basudhar, A. and Missoum, S., “Adaptive Explicit Decision Functions for Probabilistic Design and Optimization Using Support Vector Machines,” Computers & Structures 86(19-20):1904-1917, 2008.
- Singh, P. et al., “A sequential sampling strategy for adaptive classification of Computationally Expensive Data,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 55:4, 1425-1438, 2017.
- Crombecq, K. et al., “A Novel Hybrid Sequential Design Strategy for Global Surrogate Modeling of Computer Experiments,” SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 33:4, 1948-1974, 2011.
- Huang, D. et al., “Sequential Kriging Optimization Using Multiple-Fidelity Evaluations,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 32(5):369-382, 2006.
- Sacks, J. et al., “Design and Analysis of Computer Experiments,” Statistical science 409-423, 1989.
- Kreisselmeier, G. and Steinhauser, R., “Application of Vector Performance Optimization to a Robust Control Loop Design for a Fighter aircraft,” International Journal of Control 37:2, 251-284, 1983.
- Currin, C. et al., “Bayesian Prediction of Deterministic Functions, with Applications to the Design and Analysis of Computer Experiments,” Journal of the American Statistical Association 86:416, 953-963, 1991.
- Kennedy, J., “Particle Swarm Optimization,” . In: Encyclopedia of Machine Learning. (Boston, MA, Springer, 2011), 760-766.