Dynamic Modeling of CNC Drive Systems: Comparison of Two Models
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
Accurate positioning and precision of CNC machines are directly affected by performance of their mechanical drive system and control unit (CNC feeddrive system). This is more important in contouring operations where axes motion is synchronized by interpolators and errors are accumulative. This research work is focused on study of dynamics of the feeddrive unit. In this regard, a detailed dynamic model is developed in state-space format that is used to study its response properties. A parametric study of the system is carried out by studying shifts in eigenvalue loci when a parameter is changed. The results are used in further simplifying this model to a reduced order system which is simpler in structure and more appropriate for control applications. A comparison is made between these models and the merits of each individual model are presented.
CitationMehrabi, M., "Dynamic Modeling of CNC Drive Systems: Comparison of Two Models," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0803, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0803.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Yeung, C., Altintas, Y., and Erkorkmaz, K., “Virtual CNC System. Part I. System Architecture,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 46:1107-1123, 2006.
- Todorovic, P., Vukelic, D., Tadic, B., Veljkovic, D. et al., “Modelling of Dynamic Compliance of Fixture/Workpiece Interface,” International Journal of Simulation Modelling 13(1):54-65, 2014.
- Weck, M., Queins, M., and Witt, S, Effektive Entwicklung von Werkzeugmaschinen, VDI-Z, No. 145 (Düsseldorf: Springer-VDI-Verlag, 2003), 32-36.
- Altintas, Y., Brecher, C., Weck, M., and Witt, S., “Virtual Machine Tool,” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology 54(2):10-13, 2005.
- Pandilov, Z. and Dukovski, V., “Analytical Determination of the CNC Machines High-Speed Feed Drives Position Loop Gain,” Applied Mechanics and Materials 555:505-510, 2014.
- Pandilov, Z. and Dukovski, V.,” “Computer Aided Optimal Design of Servo Drives for CNC Machine Tools,” Journal of Machine Engineering 8(1):77-83, 2008 (Edited by Jerzy Jedrzejewski).
- Weck, M., “Machine Tools and Machining Systems,” Mechatronics Systems: Feed Drives and Process Diagnosis, Vol. 3 (Springer, 2006) (in German).
- Pandilov, Z. and Dukovski, V., “Static and Dynamic Stiffness of the Mechatronic Position Servo Systems,” Applied Mechanics and Materials 332:186-193, 2013.
- Mehrabi, M.G., “Dynamic Modeling the Feeddrive System of a CNC Lathe Drive by a DC Motor,” M.Sc. thesis, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1998.
- Mehrabi, M.G. and Platin, B.E., “Dynamic Modeling of a Lathe Driven by a DC Motor,” in Proc. CSME Conf., Quebec, Canada, 1998.
- Abdul-Baghi, O., Mehrabi, M.G., and Yost, S., “Application of Sensitivity Theory to Analysis of the Feeddrive Systems of CNC Machines,” Transactions of NAMRC316-323, 2004.
- Cruz, J.B. and Perkins, W.R., “A New Approach to the Sensitivity Problem in Multivariable Feedback System Design,” IEEE Trans. Auto. Contr. 9:216-223, 1964.
- Mehrabi, M.G. and Cheng, R.M.H., “Sensitivity Study of Wheeled Mobile Robots and Automated Transit Vehicle,” in Int. Conf. on Engineering Applications of Mechanics, Tehran, Iran, 1992, 298-305.