This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Modeling of CNC Drive Systems: Comparison of Two Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Accurate positioning and precision of CNC machines are directly affected by performance of their mechanical drive system and control unit (CNC feeddrive system). This is more important in contouring operations where axes motion is synchronized by interpolators and errors are accumulative. This research work is focused on study of dynamics of the feeddrive unit. In this regard, a detailed dynamic model is developed in state-space format that is used to study its response properties. A parametric study of the system is carried out by studying shifts in eigenvalue loci when a parameter is changed. The results are used in further simplifying this model to a reduced order system which is simpler in structure and more appropriate for control applications. A comparison is made between these models and the merits of each individual model are presented.
CitationMehrabi, M., "Dynamic Modeling of CNC Drive Systems: Comparison of Two Models," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0803, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0803.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Yeung , C. , Altintas , Y. , and Erkorkmaz , K. Virtual CNC System. Part I. System Architecture International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 46 1107 1123 2006
- Todorovic , P. , Vukelic , D. , Tadic , B. , Veljkovic , D. et al. Modelling of Dynamic Compliance of Fixture/Workpiece Interface International Journal of Simulation Modelling 13 1 54 65 2014
- Weck , M. , Queins , M. , and Witt , S Effektive Entwicklung von Werkzeugmaschinen Düsseldorf Springer-VDI-Verlag 2003 32 36
- Altintas , Y. , Brecher , C. , Weck , M. , and Witt , S. Virtual Machine Tool CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology 54 2 10 13 2005
- Pandilov , Z. and Dukovski , V. Analytical Determination of the CNC Machines High-Speed Feed Drives Position Loop Gain Applied Mechanics and Materials 555 505 510 2014
- Pandilov , Z. and Dukovski , V. Computer Aided Optimal Design of Servo Drives for CNC Machine Tools Journal of Machine Engineering 8 1 77 83 2008
- Weck , M. Machine Tools and Machining Systems Mechatronics Systems: Feed Drives and Process Diagnosis 3 Springer 2006
- Pandilov , Z. and Dukovski , V. Static and Dynamic Stiffness of the Mechatronic Position Servo Systems Applied Mechanics and Materials 332 186 193 2013
- Mehrabi , M.G. 1998
- Mehrabi , M.G. and Platin , B.E. Dynamic Modeling of a Lathe Driven by a DC Motor Proc. CSME Conf Quebec, Canada 1998
- Abdul-Baghi , O. , Mehrabi , M.G. , and Yost , S. Application of Sensitivity Theory to Analysis of the Feeddrive Systems of CNC Machines Transactions of NAMRC 316 323 2004
- Cruz , J.B. and Perkins , W.R. A New Approach to the Sensitivity Problem in Multivariable Feedback System Design IEEE Trans. Auto. Contr. 9 216 223 1964
- Mehrabi , M.G. and Cheng , R.M.H. Sensitivity Study of Wheeled Mobile Robots and Automated Transit Vehicle Int. Conf. on Engineering Applications of Mechanics Tehran, Iran 1992 298 305