Development of Parametric Tool to Design Base Frame for Cummins Marine Application Engine
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
A spread sheet based parametric tool is developed to design the base frame for a marine generator-set. Factors such as engine details, generator details, anti-vibration mount (AVM) etc., that determine the design of the base frame, are set as parameters in the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet has formulae to calculate channel specifications, and AVM deflections. It is linked to channel standards database and selects the optimal channel based on calculations. Similarly, the tool provides guidance in selection of AVM from supplier catalogues, helps to predict number of anti-vibration mounts required and their location on base frame. This spread sheet is integrated with a generic base frame 3D model and 2D print in “Creo 3d modelling software” (Creo), which is auto-updated based on calculated parameters in the spreadsheet. Using this tool, the user can generate a 3D-model and 2D print. This tool helps to standardize the design process and reduces design turnaround time considerably. The output of the tool and existing base frame designs were analysed using a finite element tool (ANSYS). Modal and static analysis were performed and results were observed to be within ± 15%. This tool will be developed further and validated for base frames in other applications.
CitationKumar, M., Rajasekhar, N., Pokharkar, P., Mahanta, B. et al., "Development of Parametric Tool to Design Base Frame for Cummins Marine Application Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0798, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0798.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Yunhe, Y., Naganathan, N.G., and Dukkipati, R.V., “A Literature Review of Automotive Vehicle Engine Mounting Systems,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 36:123-142, 2001.
- Bureau of Indian Standards, “Indian Standard Dimensions for Hot Rolled Steel Beam, Column, Channel and Angle Sections,” 4.1 ed., IS 808: 1989, 2002.
- Slotte, F., “Parametric Design Tool for W6L32 Common Base Frame,” Bachelor’s thesis, Mechanical and Production Engineering, Novia University of Applied Sciences, Vaasa, 2016.
- Singiresu, S.R., Mechanical Vibrations Fifth Edition (Pearson, 2010), 901-810. ISBN:978-0-13-212819-3.
- Godse, A.A. and Wasekar, M.K., “Design and Analysis of Skid Frame Module for Its Strength & Stiffness,” International Journal of Engineering Technology, Management and Applied Sciences 3(8):2349-4476, 2015.