This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Noise Source Identification of the Electric Bus Powertrain Using a Wavelet Transform and EEMD-RobustICA
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Electric buses have been used widely as cities' short-range commuter vehicles, because of their excellent power, fuel economy and emission characteristics. However, the lack of a noise masking effect for the traditional internal combustion engine, the high-frequency noise becomes more prominent for the powertrain system. The high-frequency noise gives people an unpleasant feeling on psychological and physiological. To control electric vehicle powertrain noise, the identification of the main noise source of the powertrain is well needed. In this paper, Empirical Mode decomposition (EMD) combined with Independent component Analysis (ICA) and continuous Wavelet transform (CWT) was used to identify the main noise source of the electric bus powertrain. The contribution of each noise source to the overall noise level was calculated and compared. The results showed that there were four main noise sources of the electric bus powertrain: the engagement noise of the shifting gear and constant-mesh gear, cogging harmonic noise and switching frequency noise. The contribution of the shifting gear engagement noise was the greatest, followed by the constant-mesh gear engagement noise, and the contributions of the cogging harmonic noise and switching frequency noise were approximately of the same degree.
CitationWei, C., Yu, H., Wang, J., Chen, Y. et al., "Noise Source Identification of the Electric Bus Powertrain Using a Wavelet Transform and EEMD-RobustICA," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0789, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0789.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Xiong, R., Sun, F., Gong, X. et al., “Adaptive State of Charge Estimator for Lithium-Ion Cells Series Battery Pack in Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources 242:699-713, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.05.071.
- Tzeng, G.H., Lin, C.W., and Opricovic, S., “Multi-Criteria Analysis of Alternative-Fuel Buses for Public Transportation,” Energy Policy 33(11):1373, 83150-1383, 9, 2005, doi:10.1016/S0140-6701(05.
- Jolivet, S., Mezghani, S., Isselin, J. et al., “Experimental and Numerical Study of Tooth Finishing Processes Contribution to Gear Noise,” Tribology International 102:436-443, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.triboint.2016.06.005.
- Dos Santos, F.L.M., Anthonis, J., Naclerio, F. et al., “Multiphysics NVH Modeling: Simulation of a Switched Reluctance Motor for an Electric Vehicle,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 61(1):469-476, 2014, doi:10.1109/TIE.2013.2247012.
- Ma, Z., Jiang, J., Shi, W. et al., “Investigation of Path Dependence in Commercial Lithium-Ion Cells for Pure Electric Bus Applications: Aging Mechanism Identification,” Journal of Power Sources 274:29-40, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2014.10.006.
- Yan, G., Xia, S.L., Zhang, H.H. et al., “Test Analysis and Identification of Noise inside a Pure Electric Vehicle,” Journal of Hefei University of Technology: Science and Technology 34(9):1298-1301, 2011.
- Fang, Y., Yu, P., and Zhang, T., “Test and Simulation Analysis of Modal Parameter of an Electric Automotive Powertrain,” Journal of Mechanical Transmission 37(4):110-113, 2013.
- Li, Z.X., Sui, N., and Wang, G., "Experimental Study on Vibration and Noise of Pure Electric Vehicle Drive Dystem,” in 2011 International Conference on Electric Information and Control Engineering (ICEICE), Wuhan, 2011, doi:10.1109/ICEICE.2011.5776874.
- Pellerey, P. and Cristaudo, S., “Electromagnetic and Structural Coupled Simulation to Investigate NVH Behavior of an Electrical Automotive Powertrain,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1523, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1523.
- Bai, M.R., Chen, Y.S., and Lo, Y.Y., “A Two-Stage Noise Source Identification Technique Based on a Farfield Random Parametric Array,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 141, 5:2978, 2017, doi:10.1121/1.4982041.
- Gao, Y.H. et al., “Virtual Loudness Mapping for Noise Source Identification and Optimization Design for Vehicle Interior Noise Reduction,” Journal of Vibration & Shock, 2016, doi:10.13465/j.cnki.jvs.2016.03.022.
- Wall, A.T. et al., “Military Jet Noise Source Imaging Using Multisource Statistically Optimized Near-Field Acoustical Holography,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 139(4):1938, 2016, doi:10.1121/1.4945719.
- Li, W., Gu, F., Ball, A.D. et al., “A Study of the Noise from Diesel Engines Using the Independent Component Analysis,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 15(6):1165-1184, 2001, doi:10.1006/mssp.2000.1366.
- Du, X.F., Li, Z.J., Bi, F.R. et al., “Source Separation of Diesel Engine Vibration Based on the Empirical Mode Decomposition and Independent Component Analysis,” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 25(3):557-563, 2012.
- Bi, F.R., Li, L., Zhang, J.H. et al., “Source Identification of Gasoline Engine Noise Based on Continuous Wavelet Transform and EEMD-RobustICA,” Applied Acoustics 100:34-42, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.apacoust.2015.07.007.
- Yao, J. et al., “Noise Source Identification of Diesel Engine Based on Variational Mode Decomposition and Robust Independent Component Analysis,” Applied Acoustics 11:184-194, 2017.
- Huang, N.E., Shen, Z., Long, S.R. et al., “The Empirical Mode Decomposition and the Hilbert Spectrum for Nonlinear and Non-Stationary Time Series Analysis,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 454(1971):903-995, 1998.
- Wu, Z. and Huang, N.E., “Ensemble Empirical Mode Decomposition: A Noise-Assisted Data Analysis Method,” Advances in adaptive data analysis 1(01):1-41, 2009, doi:10.1142/s1793536909000047.
- Hyyarinen, A. and Karhunen, J., Independent Component Analysis (New York: Wiley Interscience Publication, 2001).
- Hyyarinen, A. and Oja, E., “Independent Component Analysis: Algorithms and Applications,” Neural Networks 13:411-430, 2000.
- Tse, N.C.F., Zhou, L., and Lai, L.L., “Wavelet-Based Algorithm for Power Quality Analysis,” International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems 20(7):952-964, 2010, doi:10.1002/etep.378.
- GB/T 7714-2005, “Measurement of Airborne Noise Emitted by Rotating Electrical Machines and the Noise Limits-Part 3: Noise Limits.”
- Lin, F., Zuo, S., Deng, W. et al., “Noise Prediction and Sound Quality Analysis of Variable-Speed Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 32(2):698-706, 2017.
- Jolivet, S., Mezghani, S., El Mansori, M. et al., “Experimental Study of the Contribution of Gear Tooth Finishing Processes to Friction Noise,” Tribology International 115:70-77, 2017.