This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Cone CVT by SDPD and Topology Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The automotive industries have undergone a massive change in the last few decades. Nowadays, automotive industries and OEM manufacturers implement various innovative ideas to ensure the desired comfort while minimizing the cost, weight, and manufacturing time. Transmission system plays a major role in the aforementioned items. This paper aims to develop a conical roller with belt Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) System by employing the System Driven Product Development (SDPD) approach and topology optimization of its traditional design. Furthermore, this paper explains the design steps of the CVT and its advantages and limitations compared with the other automatic transmission systems.
CitationPatil, N., Malekipour, E., and El-Mounayri, H., "Development of a Cone CVT by SDPD and Topology Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0775, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0775.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Pour, E.M. and Golabi, S.I., “Examining the Effects of Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and a New Mechanism of Planetary Gearbox of CVT on Car Acceleration and Fuel Consumption,” International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management (IJAIEM), 2014.
- Mantriota, G., “Fuel Consumption of a Vehicle with Power Split CVT System,” Int. J. Vehicle Design 37(4):327-342.
- Maleki Pour, E. and Golabi, S., “Design of Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with Metal Pushing Belt and Variable Pulleys,” International Journal of Automotive Engineering 4(2):699-717, 2014.
- Singlaa, A., Rupala, B.S., and Virk, G.S., “Optimization of Stepped-Cone CVT Forlower-Limb Exoskeletons,” ScienceDirect Volume 8:592-595, September 2016.
- Börner, M., “The Cone Ring CVT,” AutoTechnology 4(2):66-69, 2004.
- Seidl, M., “Bachelor Thesis Continuously Variable Transmission,” Bachelor of Engineering (Mechatronics), Applied Mechanics Department, Cranfield University, 2011.
- “Siemens PLM-System Driven Product Development (SDPD) Overview & Update,” Mark Sampson; Pascal Vera; Business Process Connection: System Driven Product Development.
- Won Hyun, O., Lee, J.H., Kwon, H.G., and Yoon, H.J., Model-Based Development of Automotive Embedded Systems: A Case of Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) (Automotive Electronics R&D Center, Hyundai Motor Company & Kia Motors Corporation, IEEE).
- Carbone, G., Mangialardi, L., and Mantriota, G., “Fuel Consumption of a Mid Class Vehicle with Infinitely Variable Transmission,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3692, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3692.
- Mangialardi, L. and Mantriota, G., “Power Flows and Efficiency in Infinitely Variable Transmission,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 34:973-994, 1999.
- Singh, T. and Nair, S., “A Mathematical Review and Comparison of Continuously Variable Transmissions,” SAE Technical Paper 922107, 1992, doi:10.4271/922107.
- Srinath, N., “Cone Type CVT with High Speed Variations,” International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research 6(7), July-2015.
- GIF ENTWICKLUNGSGESELLSCHAFT MBH, “A Fuel Saving, Emission Reducing and Cost Effective Continuosuly Variable Transmission for European Passenger Vehicles,” European Commission, Horizon 2020, Germany, 2017.
- https://www.quora.com/Why-hasnt-automatic-transmiss ion-in-cars-become-popular-in-India.
- Boos, M. and Mozer, H., “ECOTRONIC-The Continuously Variable ZF Transmission (CVT),” in Automotive and Transport Technology Congress, 1997.
- Brandsma, A., van Lith, J., Hendriks, E., Van Doorne's Transmissie b.v., “Push Belt CVT Developments for High Power Applications,” in International Congress 99 on Continuously Variable Power Transmission CVT.
- Bhandari, V.B., Design of Machine Elements Third Edition (Tata McGraw-Hill Education Pvt Ltd., 2010).
- Malekipour, E. and El-Mounayri, H., “Defects, Process Parameters and Signatures for Online Monitoring and Control in Powder-Based Additive Manufacturing,” . In: Mechanics of Additive and Advanced Manufacturing. Vol. 9. (Cham, Springer, 2018), 83-90.
- Malekipour, E. and El-Mounayri, H., “Common Defects and Contributing Parameters in Powder Bed Fusion AM Process and Their Classification for Online Monitoring and Control: A Review,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 95(1-4):527-550, 2018.
- Malekipour, E., Tovar, A., and El-Mounayri, H., “Heat Conduction and Geometry Topology Optimization of Support Structure in Laser-Based Additive Manufacturing,” . In: Mechanics of Additive and Advanced Manufacturing. Vol. 9. (Cham, Springer, 2018), 17-27.
- Barker, K., Berry, D., and Rainwater, C., “A Review of Machine Learning Approaches for High Dimensional Process Monitoring”.
- Amini, M. and Chang, S., “Process Monitoring of 3D Metal Printing in Industrial Scale,” in ASME 2018 13th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2018, June, V001T01A035-V001T01A035.
- Amini, M. and Chang, S.I., “MLCPM: A Process Monitoring Framework for 3D Metal Printing in Industrial Scale,” Computers & Industrial Engineering 124:322-330, 2018.
- Imani, F., Gaikwad, A., Montazeri, M., Rao, P., Yang, H., and Reutzel, E., “Layerwise In-Process Quality Monitoring in Laser Powder Bed Fusion,” in ASME 2018 13th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2018, June, V001T01A038-V001T01A038.
- Montazeri, M., Yavari, R., Rao, P., and Boulware, P., “In-Process Monitoring of Material Cross-Contamination Defects in Laser Powder Bed Fusion,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 2018.
- Imani, F., Gaikwad, A., Montazeri, M., Rao, P. et al., “Process Mapping and In-Process Monitoring of Porosity in Laser Powder Bed Fusion Using Layerwise Optical Imaging,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 140(10):101009, 2018.
- Chen, Z., Niazi, S., Zhang, G., and Bobaru, F., “Peridynamic Functionally Graded and Porous Materials: Modeling Fracture and Damage,” . In: Handbook of Nonlocal Continuum Mechanics for Materials and Structures. (2017), 1-35.
- Montazeri, M. and Rao, P., “Sensor-Based Build Condition Monitoring in Laser Powder Bed Fusion Additive Manufacturing Process Using a Spectral Graph Theoretic Approach,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 140(9):091002, 2018.
- Morsali, S., Daryadel, S., Zhou, Z., Behroozfar, A. et al., “Multi-Physics Simulation of Metal Printing at Micro/Nanoscale Using Meniscus-Confined Electrodeposition: Effect of Nozzle Speed and Diameter,” Journal of Applied Physics 121(21):214305, 2017.
- Morsali, S., Daryadel, S., Zhou, Z., Behroozfar, A. et al., “Multi-Physics Simulation of Metal Printing at Micro/Nanoscale Using Meniscus-Confined Electrodeposition: Effect of Environmental Humidity,” Journal of Applied Physics 121(2):024903, 2017.
- Atzeni, E. and Salmi, A., “Economics of Additive Manufacturing for End-Usable Metal Parts,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 62(9-12):1147-1155, 2012.