This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Real-World Urban Driving Route PEMS Fuel Economy with Chassis Dynamometer CVS Results
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The use of portable emissions measurement systems (PEMS) for testing vehicle emissions while driving on the road has been demonstrated as early as the 1980s. Many users have taken the driving route and repeated the route in a chassis cell with the same vehicle expecting identical results. Emission results can be comparable but there are many factors that need to be considered. This study compares PEMS results for a driving route repeated across seasons and traffic conditions with a single vehicle. The ambient temperature variability and traffic is shown to cause variation in emissions for any individual run. Generating a test cycle to mimic the driving route can be done in a variety of ways. The simplest is to take an individual driving run and translate the time and speed trace directly. This does not address the statistical results from numerous driving runs on the same route. A variety of test cycles are performed in the chassis cell with the same vehicle used to drive the route with results shown. Additionally, the chassis dynamometer used for the laboratory confirmation has the capability for grade adjustment. This study demonstrates the impact of using grade in addition to the time and speed trace for correlation work. The GPS signal is used to generate altitude values for this study. When GPS data is used to generate grade, significant GPS altitude reading error is included in the testing. An evaluation of this error and different averaging techniques used are evaluated for use with the grade simulation in the test cell.
CitationAkard, M., Gramlich, N., Nevius, T., and Porter, S., "Comparison of Real-World Urban Driving Route PEMS Fuel Economy with Chassis Dynamometer CVS Results," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0762, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0762.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Nakamura , H. , Kihara , N. , Adachi , M. , and Ishida , K. Development of a Wet-based NDIR and Its Application to On-board Emission Measurement System SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0612 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0612
- Oestergaard , K. , Porter , S. , and Nevius , T. Investigation into the Performance of an On-Board Emissions Measurement System using a Vehicle Exhaust Emissions Simulator SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3746 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3746
- Oestergaard , K. , Akard , M. , Porter , S. , and Carder , D. Further Investigation into the Performance of Two Different On-Board Emissions Measurement System Compared to Laboratory Measurements SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3480 2004 10.4271/2004-01-3480
- Akard , M. , Nakamura , H. , Aoki , S. , Kihara , N. et al. Performance Results and Design Considerations for a New In-Use Testing Instrument SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3606 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3606
- Dearth* , M. , Butler , J. , Colvin , A. , Gierczak , C. et al. SemtechD: The Chassis Roll Evaluation of a Commercial Portable Emission Measurement System (PEMS) SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0673 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0673
- Nam , E. , Mitcham , A. , and Ensfield , C. Dynamometer and On-board Emissions Testing of the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0681 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0681
- Gierczak , C. , Korniski , T. , Wallington , T. , and Butler , J. Laboratory Evaluation of the SEMTECH-G® Portable Emissions Measurement System (PEMS) For Gasoline Fueled Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1081 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1081
- Nakamura , H. , Akard , M. , Porter , S. , Kihara , N. et al. Performance Test Results of a New On Board Emission Measurement System Conformed with CFR Part 1065 SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1326 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1326
- European Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/646 2016
- Light Duty PEMS Validations/Chassis Dynamometer Correlation 2018 www.erg.com