This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On-Track Measurement of Road Load Changes in Two Close-Following Vehicles: Methods and Results
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As emerging automated vehicle technology is making advances in safety and reliability, engineers are also exploring improvements in energy efficiency with this new paradigm. Powertrain efficiency receives due attention, but also impactful is finding ways to reduce driving losses in coordinated-driving scenarios. Efforts focused on simulation to quantify road load improvements require a sufficient amount of background validation work to support them. This study uses a practical approach to directly quantify road load changes by testing the coordinated driving of two vehicles on a test track at various speeds (64, 88, 113 km/h) and vehicle time gaps (0.3 to 1.3 s). Axle torque sensors were used to directly measure the load required to maintain steady-state speeds while following a lead vehicle at various gap distances. Through trial and error, test methods were developed that appear to provide satisfactory results, considering the challenges of track testing under real-world conditions (wind, weather, temperature changes, etc.). We found that total road load was reduced by about 10-12% at an optimum gap time of 0.25 to 0.4 s. Challenges that were encountered included less repeatability of load measurements at short gap distances and powertrain mode switching (from a hybrid vehicle) that rendered the 88-km/h results less useful. This study will provide the framework for further investigations on coordinated-driving road load using track testing methods.
CitationDuoba, M. and Fernandez Canosa, A., "On-Track Measurement of Road Load Changes in Two Close-Following Vehicles: Methods and Results," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0755, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0755.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Zhou , M. , Jin , H. , and Wang , W. A Review of Vehicle Fuel Consumption Models to Evaluate Eco-driving and Eco-routing Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 49 203 218 2016
- Bergenhem , C. , Shladover , S. , Coelingh , E. , Englund , C. , et al. Overview of Platooning Systems Proceedings of the 19th ITS World Congress Vienna, Austria Oct 22-26, 2012
- Pagliarella , R. , Watkins , S. , and Tempia , A. The Effect of Rear Slant Angle on Vehicle Wakes and Implications for Platoons SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0341 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0341
- Pagliarella , R. , Watkins , S. , and Tempia , A. Aerodynamic Performance of Vehicles in Platoons: The Influence of Backlight Angles SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1547 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1547
- Schito , P. and Braghin , F. Numerical and Experimental Investigation on Vehicles in Platoon SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 1 63 71 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0175
- Lammert , M. , Duran , A. , Diez , J. , Burton , K. et al. Effect of Platooning on Fuel Consumption of Class 8 Vehicles Over a Range of Speeds, Following Distances, and Mass SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7 2 626 639 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2438
- Siemon , M. , and Nichols , D. CFD Analysis of Heterogeneous and Homogeneous Multi-truck Platoon Aerodynamic Drag Reduction 2018 Fluid Dynamics Conference, AIAA AVIATION Forum (AIAA 2018-3862) 2018 10.2514/6.2018-3862
- Bonnet , C. and Fritz , H. Fuel Consumption Reduction in a Platoon: Experimental Results with Two Electronically Coupled Trucks at Close Spacing SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3056 2000 10.4271/2000-01-3056
- Browand , F. , McArthur , J. , and Radovichand , C.
- Zabat , M. , Stabile , N. , Frascaroli , S. , and Browand , F. 1995
- Michaelian , M. and Browand , F.
- Tadakuma , K. , Doi , T. , Shida , M. , and Maeda , K. Prediction Formula of Aerodynamic Drag Reduction in Multiple-Vehicle Platooning Based on Wake Analysis and On-road Experiments SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9 2 645 656 2016 10.4271/2016-01- 1596
- Davila , A. , Aramburu , E. , and Freixas , A. Making the Best Out of Aerodynamics: Platoons SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0767 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0767
- Duoba , M. and Jehlik , F. Investigating Steady-state Road Load Determination Methods for Electrified Vehicles and Coordinated Driving (Platooning) SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0649 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0649
- Milanés , V. , Shladover , S. , Spring , J. , Nowakowski , C. et al. Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control in Real Traffic Situations IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 15 296 305 2014
- Rajamani , G. 2006