This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Robust Validation Platform of Autonomous Capability for Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Global deployment of autonomous capability for commercial vehicles is a big challenge. In order to improve the robustness of autonomous approach under different traffic scenarios, environments, road conditions, and driver behaviors, a combined approach of virtual simulation, vehicle-in-the-loop (VIL) testing, proving ground testing, and final field testing have been established for algorithms validation. During the validation platform setup, different platforms for different functionalities have been studied, including open source virtual testing environment (CARLA, AirSim), and commercial one (IPG). We also cooperate with MCity to do proving ground validation. In virtual testing, the functionality of sensors (camera, radar, Lidar, GPS, IMU) and vehicle dynamic models can be applied in the virtual environment. In VIL testing, real world and virtual test will be connected for different validation purposes. The proving ground testing will be performed in real environment with rich scenarios and high safety. Several challenges have been overcome during implementation, including data transmission, computing time, sensor system consistency, vehicle dynamic model consistency and etc. In this paper, a robust autonomous driving validation platform, including perception, planning and control algorithm, will be introduced in different virtual and physical validation approaches. Several test case studies for algorithm testing will be discussed. And conclusions will be made on the established validation platforms and next steps for the development and improvement of commercial vehicle’s autonomous capability.
|Technical Paper||System Engineering of an Advanced Driver Assistance System|
|Technical Paper||Multiple Target Track Management Algorithm Using 2D LIDAR Sensing|
|Journal Article||GPS Modeling for Vehicle Intelligent Driving Simulation|
CitationSun, Y., Li, H., and Peng, W., "Robust Validation Platform of Autonomous Capability for Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0686, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0686.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
- Feilhauer, M., Haering, J., and Sean, W., “Current Approaches in HiL-Based ADAS Testing,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 9:63-69, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-8013.
- Jinwei, Z., Schmied, R., Sandalek, A., Kokal, H. et al., “A Framework for Virtual Testing of ADAS,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars Electro. Electr. Syst. 9:66-73, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0049.
- Gruyer, D., Choi, S., Boussard, C., and d'Andrea-Novel, B., “From Virtual to Reality, How to Prototype, Test and Evaluate New ADAS: Application to Automatic Car Parking,” in Intelligent Vehicles Symposium Proceedings, 2014 IEEE, IEEE, 2014, 261-267.
- Gietelink, O., Ploeg, J., De Schutter, B., and Verhaegen, M., “Development of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems with Vehicle Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulations,” Vehicle System Dynamics 44(7):569-590, 2006.
- Morgan, Q., Conley, K., Gerkey, B., Faust, J. et al., “ROS: An Open-Source Robot Operating System,” ICRA Workshop on Open Source Software 3(3.2):5, 2009.
- Alexey, D., Ros, G., Codevilla, F., Lopez, A., and Koltun, V., “CARLA: An Open Urban Driving Simulator,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1711.03938, 2017.
- Shah, S., Dey, D., Lovett, C., and Kapoor, A., “Airsim: High-Fidelity Visual and Physical Simulation for Autonomous Vehicles,” . In: Field and Service Robotics. (Cham, Springer, 2018), 621-635.
- Laporte, J., “Topic: Road Accidents in the U.S.,” Www.statista.com, Accessed October 13, 2018. http://www.statista.com/topics/3708/road-accidents-in-the-us/.
- “Wayback Machine” (PDF), September 3, 2017, Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 September 2017.
- 1629061340713459, “Road Lane Lines Detection Using Advanced Computer Vision Techniques,” Towards Data Science, March 26, 2017, Accessed October 13, 2018, https://towardsdatascience.com/advanced-lane-finding-using-computer-vision-techniques-7f3230b6c6f2.
- Oliveira, G.L., Burgard, W., and Brox, T., “Efficient Deep Models for Monocular Road Segmentation,” in Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2016 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on, IEEE, 2016, 4885-4891.
- Wang, Q., Gao, J., and Y.Y., “Embedding Structured Contour and Location Prior in Siamesed Fully Convolutional Networks for Road Detection,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 19(1):230-241, 2018.
- Tsung-Yi, L., Goyal, P., Girshick, R., He, K., and Dollár, P., “Focal Loss for Dense Object Detection,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2018.
- He, K., Zhang, X., Ren, S., and Sun, J., “Deep Residual Learning for Image Recognition,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2016, 770-778.
- Simonyan, K., and Zisserman, A., “Very Deep Convolutional Networks for Large-Scale Image Recognition,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1409.1556, 2014.
- Howard, A.G., Zhu, M., Chen, B., Kalenichenko, D., Wang, W., Weyand, T., Andreetto, M., and Adam, H., “Mobilenets: Efficient Convolutional Neural Networks for Mobile Vision Applications,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1704.04861, 2017.
- Home, Mcity. Accessed October 13, 2018, https://mcity.umich.edu/.
- Zakaria, M.A., Zamzuri, H., and Mazlan, S.A., “Dynamic Curvature Steering Control for Autonomous Vehicle: Performance Analysis,” IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 114(1):012149, 2016.
- Allgöwer, F. and Zheng, A., “Nonlinear Model Predictive Control,” Vol. 26, Birkhäuser, 2012, 20.
- Quattoni, A., Collins, M., and Darrell, T., “Transfer Learning for Image Classification with Sparse Prototype Representations,” in CVPR 2008. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition 2008, IEEE, 2008, 1-8.
- Zhu, Y., Chen, Y., Zhongqi, L., Pan, S.J., Xue, G.R., Yong, Y., and Yang, Q., “Heterogeneous Transfer Learning for Image Classification,” in AAAI, 2011.
- Lim, J.J., Salakhutdinov, R.R., and Torralba, A., “Transfer Learning by Borrowing Examples for Multiclass Object Detection,” in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 2011, 118-126.
- Long, J., Shelhamer, E., and Darrell, T., “Fully Convolutional Networks for Semantic Segmentation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2015, 3431-3440.
- Gruyer, D., Grapinet, M., and De Souza, P., “Modeling and Validation of a New Generic Virtual Optical Sensor for ADAS Prototyping,” in Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2012 IEEE, 2012, 969-974.
- Gruyer, D., Pechberti, S., and Glaser, S., “Development of Full Speed Range ACC with SiVIC, a Virtual Platform for ADAS Prototyping, Test and Evaluation,” in Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2013 IEEE, 2013, 100-105.
- The KITTI Vision Benchmark Suite, Accessed October 13, 2018, http://www.cvlibs.net/datasets/kitti/eval_road.php.
- Sasaki, Y., “The Truth of the F-Measure,” Teach Tutor mater 1(5):1-5, 2007.
- “COCO - Common Objects in Context,” COCO - Common Objects in Context, Accessed October 13, 2018. http://cocodataset.org/#detection-leaderboard.
- Mullins, G.E., Stankiewicz, P.G., and Gupta, S.K., “Automated Generation of Diverse and Challenging Scenarios for Test and Evaluation of Autonomous Vehicles,” in Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2017 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE, 2017, 1443-1450.
- Andrews, A., Abdelgawad, M., and Gario, A., “Towards World Model-Based Test Generation in Autonomous Systems,” in Model-Driven Engineering and Software Development (MODELSWARD), 2015 3rd International Conference on, IEEE, 2015, 1-12.
- Tuncali, C.E., Pavlic, T.P., and Fainekos, G., “Utilizing S-TaLiRo as an Automatic Test Generation Framework for Autonomous Vehicles,” in Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2016 IEEE 19th International Conference on, IEEE, 2016, 1470-1475.
- Betts, K.M. and Petty, M.D., “Automated Search-Based Robustness Testing for Autonomous Vehicle Software,” Modelling and Simulation in Engineering, 2016.
- Musil, S., “California Says It's OK to Road-test Driverless Cars with No Human at the Wheel,” Roadshow, February 26, 2018, Accessed October 13, 2018, http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/driverless-cars-could-hit-california-roads-as-soon-as-april/.
- Muoio, D., “Uber Built a Fake City in Pittsburgh with Roaming Mannequins to Test Its Self-driving Cars,” Business Insider, October 18, 2017, Accessed October 13, 2018, http://www.businessinsider.com/ubers-fake-city-pittsburgh-self-driving-cars-2017-10.
- “Mcity Test Facility,” Mcity. Accessed October 13, 2018, https://mcity.umich.edu/our-work/mcity-test-facility/.
- Paromtchik, I.E. and Laugier, C., Motion Generation and Control for Parking an Autonomous Vehicle,” in Robotics and Automation, 1996, Proceedings., 1996 IEEE International Conference on, vol. 4, 1996, 3117-3122.
- Dolgov, D., Thrun, S., Montemerlo, M., and Diebel, J., “Practical Search Techniques in Path Planning for Autonomous Driving,” Ann Arbor 1001(48105):18-80, 2008.
- Pepy, R., Lambert, A., and Mounier, H., “Path Planning Using a Dynamic Vehicle Model,” in Information and Communication Technologies, 2006. ICTTA'06. 2nd, vol. 1, IEEE, 2006, 781-786.
- Shim, T., Adireddy, G., and Yuan, H., “Autonomous Vehicle Collision Avoidance System Using Path Planning and Model-Predictive-Control-Based Active Front Steering and Wheel Torque Control,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 226(6):767-778, 2012.
- Lee, J., Huang, R., Vaughn, A., Xiao, X., Karl Hedrick, J., Zennaro, M., and Sengupta, R., “Strategies of Path-Planning for a UAV to Track a Ground Vehicle,” in AINS Conference, 2003.
- Inoue, T., Dao, M.Q., and Liu, K.Z., “Development of an Auto-Parking System with Physical Limitations,” in SICE 2004 Annual Conference, vol. 2, IEEE, 2004, 1015-1020.
- Murray, R.M. and Shankar Sastry, S., “Nonholonomic Motion Planning: Steering Using Sinusoids,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 38(5):700-716, 1993.
- Hearst, M.A., Dumais, S.T., Osuna, E., Platt, J., and Scholkopf, B., “Support Vector Machines,” IEEE Intelligent Systems and Their Applications 13(4):18-28, 1998.
- Petereit, J., Emter, T., Frey, C.W., Kopfstedt, T., and Beutel, A., “Application of Hybrid A* to an Autonomous Mobile Robot for Path Planning in Unstructured Outdoor Environments,” in Robotics; Proceedings of ROBOTIK 2012; 7th German Conference on, VDE, 2012, 1-6
- "3.3." 3.3 - Eigen. Accessed October 13, 2018. http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=3.3.
- “Welcome to the Ipopt Home Page,” Ipopt, Accessed October 13, 2018, https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt.
- Yuan, H., Wu, S., Cheng, P., An, P., and Bao, S., “Nonlocal Random Walks Algorithm for Semi-Automatic 2D-to-3D Image Conversion,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters 22(3):371-374, 2015.
- Salah, M.B., Mitiche, A., and Ayed, I.B., “Multiregion Image Segmentation by Parametric Kernel Graph Cuts,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 20(2):545-557, 2011.
- Iro, L., Rupprecht, C., Belagiannis, V., Tombari, F., and Navab, N., “Deeper Depth Prediction with Fully Convolutional Residual Networks,” 3D Vision (3DV), 2016 Fourth International Conference on, 2016, 239-248.
- “Select a Web Site,” Edge Detection - MATLAB & Simulink, Accessed October 13, 2018. https://www.mathworks.com/help/images/edge-detection.html.
- TruckMaker, I. P. G., “Reference Manual Version 4.5,” Simulation Solutions, Test Systems, Engineering Services, IPG Automotive, Karlsruhe, Germany, 2014.
- Reeds, J. and Shepp, L., “Optimal Paths for a Car that Goes Both Forwards and Backwards,” Pacific Journal of Mathematics 145(2):367-393, 1990.