This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Development of the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette C7 ZR1
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents an overview of the aerodynamic development of the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette C7 ZR1. Extensive wind tunnel testing and computational fluid dynamics simulations were completed to engineer the ZR1’s aerodynamics to improve lift-to-drag efficiency and track capability over previous Corvette offerings. The ZR1 architecture changes posed many aerodynamic challenges including increased vehicle cooling, strict packaging demands, wider front track width, and aggressive exterior styling. Through motorsports-inspired aerodynamic development, the ZR1 was engineered to overcome these challenges through the creation of new devices such as a raised rear wing and front underwing. The resulting Standard ZR1 achieved a top speed of 212 mph making it the fastest Corvette ever . Optionally, the ZR1 with the ZTK Performance Package provides the highest downforce of any Corvette, generating approximately 950 pounds at the ZTK’s top speed .
CitationNastov, A. and Caples, D., "Aerodynamic Development of the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette C7 ZR1," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0665, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0665.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Kelly , K. https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2017/nov/1112-corvette.html
- Kelly , K. , Provencher , L. , and Schenkel , F. The General Motors Engineering Staff Aerodynamics Laboratory - A Full-Scale Automotive Wind Tunnel SAE Technical Paper 820371 1982 10.4271/820371
- Walter , J. , Bordner , J. , Nelson , B. , and Boram , A. The Windshear Rolling Road Wind Tunnel SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5 1 265 288 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0300
- Dassault Systèmes https://exa.com/en/product/simulation-tools/powerflow-cfd-simulation
- Schuetz , T. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles SAE International 2016
- McBeath , S. Competition Car Aerodynamics Second Haynes Sparkford 2011
- Katz , J. Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed Cambridge, MA Bentley Publishers 2006
- Car and Driver 2018 https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15086158/lightning-lap-legends-chevrolet-corvette-vs-porsche-911/
- Evans , S. 2015 https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/corvette/2015/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-track-retest/
- Walton , C. 2018 https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/corvette/2019/2019-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-first-test-review/