This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a SiC Based Variable Voltage Converter for Hybrid Electric Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Variable Voltage Converter (VVC) is adopted in Power-Split structure of hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) to optimize the Electric-Drive (e-Drive) system performance. With the wider availability of Silicon Carbide (SiC) power semiconductor for automotive applications, there are new opportunities to further optimize and improve performance of VVC, e.g. lower power loss, smaller size, and lighter weight, comparing to use traditional Silicon (Si) IGBT and diode. In this paper, a SiC based VVC is designed, prototyped, and evaluated. In order to maximize the benefits of SiC power devices in VVC application, each key component is carefully designed and selected, including SiC power module, power capacitor, and power inductor. The characterization and evaluation results demonstrate the benefits of advanced SiC devices in VVC design optimization, and such benefits quantified in this paper.
CitationXu, F., Ge, B., Chen, L., and Curuvua, B., "Design of a SiC Based Variable Voltage Converter for Hybrid Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0605, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0605.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Saber , A.Y. and Venayagamoorthy , G.K. Plug-In Vehicles and Renewable Energy Sources for Cost and Emission Reductions IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 58 4 1229 1238 2011
- Estima , J.O. and Marques Cardoso , A.J. Efficiency Analysis of Drive Train Topologies Applied to Electric/Hybrid Vehicles IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology 61 3 2012
- kim , H. , Chen , H. , Maksimovic , D. , Erickson , R. et al. SiC-MOSFET composite Boost Converter with 22 kW/L Power Density for Electric Vehicle Application IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC) 134 141 2017
- Martín , K. , Rujas , A. , Villar , I. , Perez-de-Arenaza , I. , and Etxeberria-Otadui , I. Design of a 2.5kW PFC Boost Full-SiC Converter Based on Close-Coupled Inductors IEEE 15th Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL) 2014 1 7
- Zhou , W. , Guo , Q. , Wu , X. , Liu , Y. , and Sheng , K. A 1200V/100A All-SiC Power Module for Boost Converter of EV/HEV's Motor Driver Application International Forum on Wide Bandgap Semiconductors China 2016 38 41
- Su , G. and Tang , L. An Integrated Onboard Charger and Accessory Power Converter for Traction Drive Systems with a Boost Converter IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE) 2016 1 6