This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Study of Intake Manifold Water Injection on Characteristics of Combustion and Emissions in a Heavy-Duty Natural Gas Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The performances of heavy-duty natural gas engines have been limited by combustion temperature and NOx emissions for a long time. Recently, water injection technology has been widely considered as a technical solution in reducing fuel consumption and emissions simultaneously in both gasoline and diesel engines. This paper focuses on the impacts of intake manifold water injection on characteristics of combustion and emissions in a natural gas heavy-duty engine through numerical methods. A computational model was setup and validated with experimental data of pressure traces in a CFD software coupled with detailed chemical kinetics. The simulation was mainly carried out in low-speed and full-load conditions, and knock level was also measured and calculated by maximum amplitude of pressure oscillations (MAPO). The results show that the quantity of injected water does not have a negative effect on water spray and film at an appropriate position, but an increase in the quantity of injected water leads to a negative effect on charging efficiency and a decrease in IMEP. However, the knock in natural gas engines can be suppressed after water injected into intake manifold. The simulation results illustrate that, at the same MAPO index, the spark timing can be advanced from 16.3 °CA BTDC to 22.3 °CA BTDC while keeping a relative low level of NOx emissions, and the indicated thermal efficiency increases by 0.6% when the water-to-natural-gas mass ratio is 0.5. Intake manifold water injection technology is also an efficient way to reduce NOx emissions in natural gas engines. Compared with the original emissions, a decrease of 40% in NOx emissions can be achieved under a higher mass ratio of water to natural gas, at 0.6. These indicative results can be helpful for the application of water injection technology in practical heavy-duty natural gas engines to reduce emissions and increase thermal efficiency in the future.
CitationWu, J., Kang, Z., Deng, J., Wu, Z. et al., "Numerical Study of Intake Manifold Water Injection on Characteristics of Combustion and Emissions in a Heavy-Duty Natural Gas Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0562, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0562.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Kang, Z., Chen, S., Wu, Z., Deng, J. et al. , “Simulation Study of Water Injection Strategy in Improving Cycle Efficiency Based on a Novel Compression Ignition Oxy-Fuel Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0894 , 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0894.
- Kang, Z., Kang, Z., Jiang, L., Deng, J. et al. , “Simulation of Intake Manifold Water Injection in a Heavy Duty Natural Gas Engine for Performance and Emissions Enhancement,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1653 , 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1653.
- Li, W., Liu, Z., Wang, Z., and Xu, Y. , “Experimental Investigation of the Thermal and Diluent Effects of EGR Components on Combustion and NOx Emissions of a Turbocharged Natural Gas SI Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 88:1041-1050, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2014.09.051.
- Cho, H.M. and He, B.-Q. , “Spark Ignition Natural Gas Engines-A Review,” Energy Conversion and Management 48(2):608-618, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2006.05.023.
- Ting, D.S.-K. and Checkel, M.D. , “The Effects of Turbulence of Spark-Ignited, Ultra Lean, Premixed Methane-Air Flame Growth in a Combustion Chamber,” SAE Technical Paper, 952410 , 1995, doi:10.4271/952410.
- Liu, C., Wang, Z., Song, H., Qi, Y. et al. , “Experimental and Numerical Investigation on H2/CO Formation and Their Effects on Combustion Characteristics in a Natural Gas SI Engine,” Energy 143:597-605, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2017.11.024.
- Shioji, M., Eguchi, S., Kitazaki, M., and Mohammadi, A. , “Knock Characteristics and Performance in an SI Engine With Hydrogen and Natural-Gas Blended Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1929 , 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1929.
- Liu, C., Li, F., Song, H., and Wang, Z. , “Effects of H2/CO Addition on Knock Tendency and Lean Limit in a Natural Gas SI Engine,” Fuel 233:582-591, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2018.06.102.
- Kuhring, M.S. , “Water And Water-Alcohol Injection in a Supercharged Jaguar Aircraft Engine,” Canadian Journal of Research 16, 1938.
- Rothrock, A.M., Krsek, A. Jr, and Jones, A. W. , “The Induction of Water to the Inlet Air as a Means of Internal Cooling in Aircraft-Engine Cylinders,” Technical Report Archive & Image Library, 1943.
- Netzer, C., Franken, T., Seidel, L., Lehtiniemi, H. et al. , “Numerical Analysis of the Impact of Water Injection on Combustion and Thermodynamics in a Gasoline Engine using Detailed Chemistry,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0200 , 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0200.
- Hoppe, F., Thewes, M., Baumgarten, H., and Dohmen, J. , “Water Injection for Gasoline Engines: Potentials, Challenges, and Solutions,” International Journal of Engine Research, 2016.
- Hoppe, F., Thewes, M., Seibel, J., Balazs, A. et al. , “Evaluation of the Potential of Water Injection for Gasoline Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(5):2500-2512, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-24-0149.
- Iwashiro, Y., Tsurushima, T., Asaumi, Y., and Aoyagi, Y. , “Fuel Consumption Improvement and Operation Range Expansion in HCCI with Direct Water Injection,” Transactions of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 33:103-107, 2002.
- Taghavifar, H., Anvari, S., and Parvishi, A. , “Benchmarking of Water Injection in a Hydrogen-Fueled Diesel Engine to Reduce Emissions,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 42(16), 2017.
- Battistoni, M., Grimaldi, C.N., Cruccolini, V., Discepoli, G. et al. , “Assessment of Port Water Injection Strategies to Control Knock in a GDI Engine through Multi-Cycle CFD Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0034 , 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-24-0034.
- Worm, J., Naber, J., Duncan, J., Barros, S. et al. , “Water Injection as an Enabler for Increased Efficiency at High-Load in a Direct Injected, Boosted, SI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(3):951-958, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0663.
- De Bellis, V., Bozza, F., Teodosio, L., and Valentino, G. , “Experimental and Numerical Study of the Water Injection to Improve the Fuel Economy of a Small Size Turbocharged SI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(2):550-561, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0540.
- Cavina, N., Rojo, N., Businaro, A., Brusa, A. et al. , “Investigation of Water Injection Effects on Combustion Characteristics of a GDI TC Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(4):2209-2218, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-24-0052.
- d'Adamo, A., Berni, F., Breda, S., Lugli, M. et al. , “A Numerical Investigation on the Potentials of Water Injection as a Fuel Efficiency Enhancer in Highly Downsized GDI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0393 , 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0393.
- Zhen, X.D., Wang, Y., Xu, S.Q., Zhu, Y.S. et al. , “The Engine Knock Analysis-An Overview,” Applied Energy 92:628-636, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.11.079.
- Draper, C.S. , “Pressure Waves Accompanying Detonation in the Internal Combustion Engine,” Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences 5(6):219-226, 1938, doi:10.2514/8.590.