This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Crack Initiation and Propagation Fatigue Life Prediction for an A36 Steel Welded Plate Specimen
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Fatigue crack initiation and propagation models predict the fatigue life of welded "T" specimens tested by the Fatigue Design and Evaluation (FDE) Committee of SAE under constant and variable amplitude load histories. The crack propagation equations stipulated by British Standard BS-7910 have been incorporated in a material memory model for cyclic deformation. The simulations begin with the crack initiation model and show how it is used to account for cyclic mean stress relaxation and the effects of periodic overloads. After the cracks initiate the BS-7910 model is applied to predict the crack advance due to either constant or variable amplitude histories. Simulation results correspond to the experimental results with good accuracy.
CitationConle, F., "Crack Initiation and Propagation Fatigue Life Prediction for an A36 Steel Welded Plate Specimen," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0538, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0538.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Rice, R.C., editor, SAE Fatigue Design Handbook, AE-22 Third Edition (Warrendale: Society of Automotive Engineers, 1997).
- “Guide to Methods for Assessing the Acceptability of Flaws in Metallic Structures,” British Std. BS7910-2005.
- Cordes, T., “Overview of F.D.E. Total Life Project,” http://fde.uwaterloo.ca/Fde/CaseStudies/Total-Life1/1_SAE_Current_Effort_30Oct12i.pptx.
- Dindinger, P., “A36 Strain Life Fatigue Test Data,” Fat.Des.and Evaluation Comm. Meeting, New Berlin, WI, USA, Oct.18, 2011.
- Miller, G.A. and Reemsnyder, H.S., “Strain-Cycle Fatigue of Sheet and Plate Steels I: Test Method Development and Data Presentation,” SAE Technical Paper 830175, 1983, doi:10.4271/830175.
- See the ASTM A36 set of files on web page: http://fde.uwaterloo.ca/Fde/Materials/Steel/Low-carbon/lowcarbon.html.
- Bonnen, J.J.F., “Multiaxial Fatigue Response of Normalized 1045 Steel Subjected to Periodic Overloads: Experiments and Analysis,” Ph.D thesis Civi. Engr., Univ. of Waterloo, 1998.
- Neuman, J., “Fatigue Crack Growth Rate Behavior of A36 Steel using ASTM Load-Reduction and Compression Precracking Test Methods,” Fat. Des. and Evaluation Comm. Meeting, New Berlin, WI, Oct.18,2011.
- Dindinger, P., “Crack Propagation Data from 4x4 A36 Steel Bar,” Presented to F.D.E. Comm, 2013.
- El-Haddad, M.H., “A Study of the Growth of Short Fatigue Cracks Based on Fracture Mechanics,” Ph.D. Thesis, U.of Waterloo, Canada, Aug. 1978.
- Klingerman, D.J., Frank, K.H., and Fisher, J.W., “Fatigue Crack Growth in A36 Steel,” Lehigh Univ., Fritz Engr. Lab Rep. No. 358.31, May 1971.
- Service history listing is available at web page: http://fde.uwaterloo.ca/Fde/Loads/hindex.html under the topic “F.D.+E. Total Life Project.”
- Topper, T.H., Wetzel, R.M., and Morrow, J., “Neuber’s Rule Applied to Fatigue of Notched Specimens,” ASTM, J. Materials 4(1):200-220, March 1969.
- Conle, F.A., “Plasticity Corrections for Elastic Analysis Results: Neuber Method,” Univ. of Waterloo web page Nov. 8 2010, Updates: Jan 2012, Sep 2012, Jan 2013 http://fde.uwaterloo.ca/ Fde/Notches.new/neuber.html.
- Conle, A., “Data on Cyclic Mean Stress Relaxation in Mild Steel,” 3A Civil Engr. Work Term Report, April 1970, http://fde.uwaterloo.ca/Fde/Articles/Relax/conleSo.html.
- Conle, A., “The Interaction of Mean or Weld Residual Stress with the Neuber Plasticity Correction and the Effects on Fatigue Life Prediction,” Web Page, Nov. 2 2014, Updates: Dec 6 2014, http://fde.uwaterloo.ca/Fde/Notches.new/Weld+Residuals/residualsInWelds.html.
- Matsuishi, M. and Endo, T., “Fatigue of Metals Subjected to Varying Stress,” presented at Japn Soc. of Mech. Engrg, Fukuoka, Japan, March 1968.
- Conle, F.A., “Crack Propagation Simulation with Material Deformation Memory Compensation,” Web article, Univ. of Windsor, Canada, Sept. 30 2013, http://fde.uwaterloo.ca/Fde/Crackgrowth/pdpropPaper2013.pdf.
- “Stress-Strain OpenSource Simulation Program,” https://github.com/pdprop/pdStressStrain.
- “Crack Propagation, Crack Initiation, and Rain-Flow Cycle Count OpenSource Programs.” https://github.com/pdprop/pdprop/tree/Master/CleanPdprop, Linux tar file: https://github.com/pdprop/pdprop/blob/Master/pdprop.tar.gz.