This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pressure Estimation Algorithms in Decoupled Electro-Hydraulic Brake System Considering the Friction and Pressure-Position Relationship
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents several pressure estimation algorithms (PEAs) for a decoupled electro-hydraulic brake system (EHB), which is driven by an electric motor + reduction gear. Most of the pressure control solutions are based on standard pressure-based feedback control, requiring a pressure signal. Although the pressure sensor can produce the pressure feedback signal, it will increase cost and enlarge installation space. The rotation angle of electric motor is available by the built-in sensor, so the pressure can be estimated by using the rotation angle. Considering the typical nonlinearities (i.e. friction, pressure-position relationship) and uncertainties (i.e. disturbance caused by friction model), the estimation-oriented model is established. The LuGre model is selected to describe the friction, and the pressure-position relationship is fitted by a quadratic polynomial. Based on the estimation-oriented model, the force-based PEA (FPEA) and the interconnected PEA (IPEA) are designed, respectively. What makes these two PEAs different is that the IPEA considers the pressure-position relationship. The comparison and analysis of the proposed PEAs have been conducted via some typical ordinary braking scenarios. The sensitivity analysis has also been done to obtain the influences on the performance of the IPEA, if the estimation deviation of the friction occurs. Most importantly, this study realized a pressure estimation without add-in sensors, which makes decoupled EHB realizable to become the actuator for automobile active safety systems, giving a promising way to achieve far better performance.
CitationHan, W., Xiong, L., and Yu, Z., "Pressure Estimation Algorithms in Decoupled Electro-Hydraulic Brake System Considering the Friction and Pressure-Position Relationship," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0438, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0438.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Schenk, D., Wells, R., and Miller, J., “Intelligent Braking for Current and Future Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 950762, 1995, doi:10.4271/950762.
- Jonner, W., Winner, H., Dreilich, L., and Schunck, E., “Electrohydraulic Brake System-The First Approach to Brake-by-Wire Technology,” SAE Technical Paper 960991, 1996, doi:10.4271/960991.
- Reuter, D.F., Lloyd, E.W., Zehnder, J.W. II, and Elliott, J.A., “Hydraulic Design Considerations for EHB Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0324, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0324.
- D’alfio, N., Morgando, A., and Sorniotti, A., “Electro-Hydraulic Brake Systems: Design and Test through Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation,” Vehicle System Dynamics 44S:378-392, 2006.
- Sorniotti, A. and Repici, G., “Hardware in the Loop with Electro-Hydraulic Brake Systems,” presented at the 9th WSEAS Int. Conf. on Systems, Athens, Greece, 2005.
- Duval-Destin, M., Kropf, T., Abadie, V. et al., “Effects of an Electric Actuator to the Brake System,” ATZ-Automobile Technical Magazine 113(9):638-643, 2011.
- Aoki, Y., Suzuki, K., Nakano, H., Akamine, K. et al., “Development of Hydraulic Servo Brake System for Cooperative Control with Regenerative Brake,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0868, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0868.
- Leiber, T., Köglsperger, C., and Unterfrauner, V., “Modular Brake System with Integrated Functionalities,” Automobile Technical Magazine 113(6), 2011.
- Feigel, J., “Integrated Brake System without Compromises in Functionality,” ATZ worldwide 114(7-8):46-50, 2012.
- Xiong, L., Yuan, B., Guang, X., and Xu, S., “Analysis and Design of Dual-Motor Electro-Hydraulic Brake System,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2532, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2532.
- Wang, Z., Yu, L., Wang, Y., You, C. et al., “Prototype of Distributed Electro-Hydraulic Braking System and Its Fail-Safe Control Strategy,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2066, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2066.
- Yu, Z., Xu, S., Xiong, L., and Han, W., “An Integrated-Electro-Hydraulic Brake System for Active Safety,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1640, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1640.
- Xu, S., Yu, Z., and Xiong, L., “Control of Novel Integrated-Electro-Hydraulic Brake System for Automotive,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2699, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2699.
- de Castro, R., Todeschini, F., Araujo, E. et al., “Adaptive-Robust Friction Compensation in a Hybrid Brake-by-Wire Actuator,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering 228(10):769-786, 2014, DOI: 10.1177/0959651813507562.
- Li, H., Yu, Z., Xiong, L., and Han, W., “Hydraulic Control of Integrated Electronic Hydraulic Brake System Based on LuGre Friction Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2513, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-2513.
- Todeschini, F., Corno, M., Panzani, G., and Savaresi, S.M., “Adaptive Position-Pressure Control of a Brake by wire Actuator for Sport Motorcycles,” European Journal of Control 2(20):79-86, 2014, doi:10.1016/J.EJCON.2013.12.003.
- Han, W., Xiong, L., Yu, Z., and Li, H., “Adaptive Cascade Optimum Braking Control Based on a Novel Mechatronic Booster,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2514, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-2514.
- Todeschini, F., Corno, M., Panzani, G. et al., “Adaptive Cascade Control of a Brake-by-Wire Actuator for Sport Motorcycles,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 20(3):1310-1319, 2015, doi:10.1109/TMECH.2014.2341114.
- Todeschini, F., Formentin, S., Panzani, G. et al., “Nonlinear Pressure Control for BBW Systems via Dead-Zone and Antiwindup Compensation,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 24(4):1419-1431, 2016, doi:0.1109/TCST.2015.2483562.
- Han, W., Xiong, L., and Yu, Z.P., “Braking Pressure Tracking Control of a Pressure Sensor Unequipped Electro-Hydraulic Booster Based on a Nonlinear Observer,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0581, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0581.
- Han, W., Xiong, L., and Yu, Z.P., “A Novel Pressure Control Strategy of an Electro-Hydraulic Brake System via Fusion of Control Signals. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D:Journal of Automotive Engineering, Accepted.
- Havard, F., “Topics in State and Parameter Estimation for Nonlinear and Uncertain Systems,” Norway, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 2010.