This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Novel Dual Nonlinear Observer for Vehicle System Roll Behavior with Lateral and Vertical Coupling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The study of vehicle coupling state estimation accuracy especially in observer-based vehicle chassis control for improving road handling and ride comfort is a challenging task for vehicle industry under various driving conditions. Due to a large amount of life safety arising from vehicle roll behavior, how to precisely acquire vehicle roll state and rapidly provide for the vehicle control system are of great concern. Simultaneously, uncertainty is unavoidable for various aspects of a vehicle system, e.g., varying sprung mass, moment of inertia and position of the center of gravity. To deal with the above issues, a novel dual observer approach, which combines adaptive Unscented Kalman Filter (AUKF) and Takagi-Sugeno (T-S), is proposed in this paper. A full-car nonlinear model is first established to describe vehicle lateral and vertical coupling roll behavior under various road excitation. Considering the variation of vehicle sprung mass in the movement process, an AUKF approach is adopted to identify the sprung mass by tuning various road classification process variances of the vehicle system in real time. Then, by combing the identification sprung mass via AUKF observer and nonlinear coupling dynamics of tire lateral force, modified T-S model-based observer is developed to estimate the vehicle coupling roll state. The stability conditions for proposed T-S observer are deduced using linear matrix inequalities (LMI). Finally, using a high-fidelity CarSim® software platform, the proposed dual observer approach is verified through a J-turn test, and simulations show that more accurate are obtained by comparing with the traditional T-S approach. The research achievements develop a reasonable algorithm to apply to the vehicle chassis control system.
- Zhenfeng Wang - China Automotive Technology Research & Center
- Fei Li - China Automotive Technology Research & Center
- Yechen Qin - Beijing Institute of Technology
- Dong Li - Beijing Institute of Spacecraft Environment Engineering
- Gongbo Ma - Beijing Institute of Spacecraft Environment Engineering
- Jinyuan Ma - Institute of Spacecraft System Engineering
CitationWang, Z., Li, F., Qin, Y., Li, D. et al., "A Novel Dual Nonlinear Observer for Vehicle System Roll Behavior with Lateral and Vertical Coupling," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0432, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0432.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Rajamani, R. , Vehicle Dynamics and Control 2nd Edition (New York: Spring, 2012).
- Phanomchoeng, G. and Rajamani, R. , “New Rollover Index for the Detection of Tripped and Untripped Rollovers,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 60:4726-4737, 2013.
- Zhang, X.J., Yang, Y., Guo, K.H. et al. , “Contour Line of Load Transfer Ratio for Vehicle Rollover Prediction,” Vehicle System Dynamics 11:1748-1763, 2017.
- Rigatos, G., Siano, P., and Pessolano, S. , “Design of Active Suspension Control System with the Use of Kalman Filter-Based Disturbances Estimator,” Cybernetics and Physics 1:259-275, 2012.
- Imine, H., Benallegue, A., Madani, T. et al. , “Rollover Risk Prediction of Heavy Vehicle Using High-Order Sliding -Mode Observer: Experimental Results,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 63:2533-3543, 2014.
- Wang, Z.F., Dong, M.M., Qin, Y.C. et al. , “Suspension System State Estimation Using Adaptive Kalman Filtering Based on Road Classification,” Vehicle System Dynamics 55:371-398, 2016.
- Rajamani, R., Piyabongkan, D., Tsourapas, V. et al. , “Parameter and State Estimation in Vehicle Roll Dynamics,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 12:1558-1567, 2011.
- Feng, G. , “A Survey on Analysis and Design of Model-Based Fuzzy Control Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems 14:676-697, 2006.
- Zhao, Y., Zhang, W., Zhang, W. et al. , “Exponential Reduced-Order Observers for Nonlinear Systems Satisfying Incremental Quadratic Constraints,” Circuits, Systems, and Signal Processing 1:1-14, 2018, doi:10.1007/s00034-018-0745-4.
- Yang, F., Han, Q., and Liu, Y. , “Distributed H∞ State Estimation Over a Filtering Network with Time-Varying and Switching Topology and Partial Information Exchange,” IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics 5:2168-2267, 2018, doi:10.1109/ TCYB.2017.2789212.
- Rashad, R., El-Badawy, A., and Aboudonia, A. , “Sliding Mode Disturbance Observer-Based Control of a Twin Rotor MIMO System,” ISA Transactions 1:1-9, 2017, doi:10.1016/ j.isatra. 2017. 04. 013.
- Singh, K.B., Arat, M.A., and Taheri, S. , “Literature Review and Fundamental Approaches for Vehicle and Tire State Estimation,” Vehicle System Dynamics 55:1-23, 2018, doi:10.1080/00423114.2018.1544373.
- Xie, X., Yue, D., and Park, J. , “Robust Fault Estimation Design for Discrete-Time Nonlinear Systems via A Modified Fuzzy Fault Estimation Observer,” ISA Transactions 2:1-8, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.isatra.2017.12.007.
- Wang, Y., Wu, Q., and Liu, X. , “Adaptive Fuzzy Sliding Mode Control for MIMO Nonaffine Dutch-Roll System,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 139:1-9, 2017, doi:10.1115/1. 4036551.
- Nguyen, S., Choi, S., and Seo, T. , “Adaptive Fuzzy Sliding Control Enhanced by Compensation for Explicitly Unidentified Aspects,” International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems 15:2906-2920, 2017.
- Huang, X. and Wang, J. , “Real-Time Estimation of Center of Gravity Position for Lightweight Vehicles Using Combined AKF-EKF Method,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 63:4221-4231, 2014.
- Hong, S., Lee, C., Borrelli, F. et al. , “A Novel Approach for Vehicle Inertial Parameter Identification Using a Dual Kalman Filter,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 16:151-160, 2015.
- Hong, S., Smith, T., Borrelli, F., et al. “Vehicle Inertial Parameter Identifcation Using Extended and Unscented Kalman Filters,” Proceedings of the 16th International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC 2013), The Hague, The Netherlands, October 6-9, 2013
- Chen, J., Song, J., Li, L. et al. , “UKF-Based Adaptive Variable Structure Observer for Vehicle Sideslip with Dynamic Correction,” IET Control Theory & Applications 1:1-13, 2016, doi:10.1049/ iet-cta.2015.1030.
- Qin, Y.C., Xiang, C.L., Wang, Z.F. et al. , “Road Excitation Classification for Semi-Active Suspension System Based on System Response,” Journal of Vibration and Control, 2017, doi:10.1177/1077546317693432.
- Qin, Y.C., Zhao, F., Wang, Z.F. et al. , “Comprehensive Analysis Influence of Controllable Damper Time Delay on Semi-Active Suspension Control Strategies,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 2017, doi:10.1115/1.4035700.
- Wang, Z.F., Dong, M.M., Qin, Y.C. et al. , “Influence of Road Excitation and Steering Wheel Input on Vehicle System Dynamic Responses,” Applied Sciences 7:570-592, 2017.
- Qin, Y.C., Wang, Z.F., Xiang, C.L. et al. , “Speed Independent Road Classification Strategy based on Vehicle Response: Theory and Experimental Validation,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 117:653-666, 2019.
- Pacejia, H.B. , Tire and Vehicle Dynamics (Oxford, U.K: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2002), 5-240.
- Dahmani, H., Pagès, O., Ahmed, E.H. et al. , “Observer-Based Robust Control of Vehicle Dynamics for Rollover Mitigation In Critical Situations,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 15:274-284, 2014.
- Pletschen, N., Barthelmes, S., and Lohmann, B. , “Joint State-Parameter Estimation for Active Vehicle Suspensions: A Takagi-Sugeno Kalman Filtering Approach,” Proceedings of the 54rd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 1:1545-1550, 2015.
- Wang, Z.F., Dong, M.M., Gu, L. et al. , “State Estimation Based on Interacting Multiple Mode Kalman Filter for Vehicle Suspension System,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1480 , 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1480.
- Wang, Z.F., Dong, M.M., Gu, L. et al. , “Vehicle system state estimation based on adaptive Unscented Kalman Filtering combing with road classification,” IEEE Access, 2017, doi:10.1109/Access. 2017. 2771204.
- Wang, Z.F., Dong, M.M., Qin, Y.C. et al. , “Fuzzy Observer for Nonlinear Vehicle System Roll Behavior with Coupled Lateral and Vertical Dynamics,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0559 , 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0559.