This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Snowmobile Lane Change Dynamics with One and Two Occupants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As with other motor vehicles, snowmobile operators are occasionally presented with potential hazards that require a response to avoid an impending collision. The typical responses involve either braking, steering, or a combination of both. Although the braking deceleration capabilities of snowmobiles have been documented in several published studies, there is a lack of available data regarding the swerving capability of snowmobiles. In addition, it is unknown if the presence of a passenger on a snowmobile negatively affects its swerving capabilities, and if so, to what extent. This paper presents data gathered during swerve testing conducted on an instrumented snowmobile in northern Ontario with two different operators, and with one and two occupants.
|Technical Paper||Uncertainty in Radius Determined by Multi-Point Curve Fits for Use in the Critical Curve Speed Formula|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Speed Control Assurance for Snowmobiles|
CitationPaquette, M. and Griffiths, H., "Snowmobile Lane Change Dynamics with One and Two Occupants," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0429, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0429.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association 2018
- Pierz , J. Snowmobiles Injuries in North America Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 409 29 36 2003
- Warner , M. , Bready , J. , Warner , W. , and Asay , A. Snowmobile Cornering and Acceleration Data from On-Snow Testing SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1431 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1431
- Corno , M. , Roselli , F. , Onesto , L. , Savaresi , S. et al. Longitudinal and Lateral Dynamics Evaluation of an Anti-Lock Braking System for Trail Snowmobiles SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2512 2017 10.4271/2017-01-2512
- Araszewski , M. , Toor , A. , Overgaard , R. , and Johal , R. Lane Change Maneuver Modeling for Accident Reconstructions Applications SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0817 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0817
- Bartlett , W. and Meyers , D. Time and Distance Required for a Motorcycle to Turn Away from an Obstacle SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0478 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0478