This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Feasibility Study Using FE Model for Tire Load Estimation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For virtual simulation of the vehicle attributes such as handling, durability, and ride, an accurate representation of pneumatic tire behavior is very crucial. With the advancement in autonomous vehicles as well as the development of Driver Assisted Systems (DAS), the need for an Intelligent Tire Model is even more on the increase. Integrating sensors into the inner liner of a tire has proved to be the most promising way in extracting the real-time tire patch-road interface data which serves as a crucial zone in developing control algorithms for an automobile. The model under development in Kettering University (KU-iTire), can predict the subsequent braking-traction requirement to avoid slip condition at the interface by implementing new algorithms to process the acceleration signals perceived from an accelerometer installed in the inner liner on the tire. Abaqus® FEA has been used to develop the tire model and subjected to Abaqus/Explicit® analysis to study the non-linear behavior executed by a rolling tire. The strain variation at the contact under the three major situations of acceleration, braking and free rolling have been studied to develop a robust algorithm which could provide real-time contact patch situation to the vehicle GPU in order to generate the optimum traction or braking force required thus avoiding the slip situation.
CitationChawan, A., Birajdar, V., Behroozi, M., and Baqersad, J., "Feasibility Study Using FE Model for Tire Load Estimation," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0175, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0175.
- Birajdar , V. , Baqersad , J. , Bastiaan , J. , and Behroozi , M. Investigation and Development of a Slip Model for a Basic Rigid Ring Ride Model SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1116 2018 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1116
- Patil , K. , Baqersad , J. , and Sheidaei , A. A Multi-View Digital Image Correlation for Extracting Mode Shapes of a Tire Shock & Vibration, Aircraft/Aerospace, Energy Harvesting, Acoustics & Optics 9 2017 10.1007/978-3-319-54735-0_22
- Patil , K. , Baqersad , J. , and Bastiaan , J. Effects of Boundary Conditions and Inflation Pressure on the Natural Frequencies and 3D Mode Shapes of a Tire SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1905 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1905
- Sorniotti , A. and D'Alfio , N. Vehicle Dynamics Simulation to Develop an Active Roll Control System SAE Transactions 116 764 774 2007
- Cao , J. , Jing , L. , Guo , K. , and Fan , Y. 2013 10.1155/2013/643548
- Grayen , M The Hidden Secrets of Tire https://www.carid.com/articles/the-hidden-secrets-of-tires.html
- Tabbador , F. and Stafford , J.R. Some Aspects of Rubber Composite Finite Element Analysis Comp. Struct. 21 1/2 327 339 1985
- Halpin , J.C. and Kardos , J.L. The Halpin-Tsai equations: A Review Polymer Engineering and Science 16 1976 344-352. 10.1002/pen.760160512
- Bolarinwa , E. and Olatunbosun , O. On Finite Element Tyre Modal Analysis SAE Technical Papers 2015-01-1518 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1518