This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimates of the Convective Heat-Transfer Coefficients for Under-Hood and Under-Body Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper we investigate the application of time constant to estimate the external heat transfer coefficient (h) around specific vehicle components. Using this approach, a test sample in the form of a steel plate is placed around the component of interest. A step change is applied to air temperature surrounding the sample. The response of the sample temperature can be analyzed and the heat transfer coefficient can therefore be calculated. Several test samples were installed at several locations in the vehicle under-hood and underbody. A series of vehicle tests were designed to measure the time constant around each component at various vehicle speeds. A correlation between estimated heat transfer coefficients and vehicle speed was generated. The developed correlations and the measured component ambient temperatures can be readily used as input for thermal simulation tools. This approach can be very helpful whenever CFD resources may not be available. Verification of the derived coefficients was conducted by comparing the derived heat transfer coefficients to those derived through detailed CFD analysis. Assumptions, limitations and applications of this approach are discussed.
|Technical Paper||Virtual Downhill Brake Cooling Evaluation Methodology|
|Journal Article||Transient Dip Paint Simulation of Entire Car Bodies within One Day|
|Technical Paper||Modeling Experience on Friction Stir Welding Using FLUENT|
CitationEl-Sharkawy, A. and Crabtree, T., "Estimates of the Convective Heat-Transfer Coefficients for Under-Hood and Under-Body Components," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0149, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0149.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Huber, S., Indinger, T., Adams, N., and Schuetz, T., “Experimental and Numerical Study of Heat Transfer at the Underbody of a Production Car,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7(1):89-101, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0582.
- Fortunato, F., Caprio, M., Oliva, P., D'Aniello, G. et al., “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of the Thermal Behavior of a Complete Exhaust System,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1094, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1094.
- Peters, A. and Crum, W., “Vehicle Underbody Temperature and Heat Rejection Correlation-Wind Tunnel Versus Track,” SAE Technical Paper 760363, 1976, doi:10.4271/760363.
- Dong, Z., Chen, G., Jiang, Y., and Wang, C., “Modeling of Transient Heat Transfer for the 3-D Coupling Components in an Internal-Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1759, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1759.
- Kaushik, S., “Thermal Management of a Vehicle's Under-hood and Underbody Using Appropriate Math-Based Analytical Tools and Methodologies,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1395, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1395.
- Weidmann, E., Wiedemann, J., Binner, T., and Reister, H., “Underhood Temperature Analysis in Case of Natural Convection,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2045, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2045.
- Ashmawey, M., Berneburg, H., Hartung, W., and Werner, F., “A Numerical Evaluation of the Thermal Effects of the New V6 Engine on the Underhood Environment of the 1993 Opel Vectra,” SAE Technical Paper 930295, 1993, doi:10.4271/930295.
- Felicio, J., “Improvement of Process for Heat Shielding Under Body of Vehicles Against Exhaust System Thermal Effects Aided by FEA,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3476, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-3476.
- Hepburn, J., Kenney, T., McKenzie, J., Thanasiu, E. et al., “Engine and Aftertreatment Modeling for Gasoline Direct Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 982596, 1998, doi:10.4271/982596.
- Kumar, V., Kapoor, S., Arora, G., Saha, S. et al., “A Combined CFD and Flow Network Modeling Approach for Vehicle Underhood Air Flow and Thermal Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1150, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1150.
- Shim, H. and Park, J., “A Study of the Transient Analysis Technique on the Under Hood Thermal Damage,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0126, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-28-0126.
- Dudley, S. and Barry, R., “The Measurement of Underhood and Underbody Velocities with the H-Meter,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0234, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0234.
- Scott, S.W., “Method for Determining Air Side Convective Heat Transfer Coefficient Using Infrared Thermography,” in 16th International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference at Purdue, July 11-14, 2016.
- Hogendoorn, C.J.; de Lange, H.C.; van Steenhoven, A.A. Design Optimization for Fast Heat Transfer Gauges. Meas. Sci. Technol. 1998, 9, 428-434
- Epstein, A.H., Guenette, G.R., Norton, R.J.G., and Yuzhang, C., “High-Frequency Response Heat-Flux Gauge,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 57:639-649, 1986.
- Fralick, G., Wrbanek, J., and Blaha, C., “Thin Film Heat Flux Sensor of Improved Design,” in Proceedings of NASA Technical Memorandum, NASA: Washington, USA, 2002, NASA/TM-2002-211566, 1-14.
- Mocikat, H. and Herwig, H., “An Advanced Thin Foil Sensor Concept for Heat Flux and Heat Transfer Measurements in Fully Turbulent Flows,” Heat Mass Transfer 43:351-364, 2007.
- Stefanescu, S., DeAnna, R.G., and Mehregany, M., “Experimental Performance of a Micromachined Heat Flux Sensor,” in Proceedings of NASA Technical Memorandum, NASA: Washington, USA, 1998; NASA/TM-1998-107517, 1-16; Park, S.J. and Ro, S.T., Experiments in Fluids, 21, 380, 1996, 10.1007/BF00189059.
- Zhaoxin, Y. and Xiaofeng, M., “Temperature Measurement by Thermocouple Probe: Influence of Variable Fluid Velocity on the Dynamic Characteristics of Thermocouple,” in 2nd International Conference on Electronic & Mechanical Engineering and Information Technology (EMEIT), 2012.
- El-Sharkawy, A., “Analysis of Thermocouple Temperature Response under Actual Vehicle Test Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1175, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1175.
- Ohlssonn, K.E.A., Östin, R., Grundberg, S., and Olofsson, T., “Dynamic Model for Measurement of Convective Heat Transfer Coefficient at External Building Surfaces,” Journal of Building Engineering 7:239-245, 2016.
- Kar, K., Roberts, S., Stone, R., Oldfield, M. et al., “Instantaneous Exhaust Temperature Measurements Using Thermocouple Compensation Techniques,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1418, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1418.
- Shaddix, C.R., “Practical Aspects of Correcting Thermocouple Measurements for Radiation Loss,” in Proceedings of 1998 Fall Meeting of Western States Section/The Combustion Institute, 1998.
- Heat Transfer 4th Edition (Mc Millan Publishing Co).
- El-Sharkawy, A., Arora, D., Hekal, A., Sami, A. et al., “Transient Modeling of Vehicle Under-hood and Underbody Component Temperatures,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 9(2):330-337, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0281.
- El-Sharkawy, A.E., “Sensitivity/Uncertainty Analysis of Heat Exchanger Designs,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1013, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1013.
- El-Sharkawy, A.E., “Parametric Analysis for the Design of Compact Heat Exchangers,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1578, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1578.
- Dieck, R.H., Measurement Uncertainty: Methods and Applications Third Edition (The Instrumentation, Systems, and Automation Society, 2002).