This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fast NGC: A New On-Line Technique for Fuel Flow Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Knowledge of fuel mass injected in an individual cycle is important for engine performance and modelling. Currently direct measurements of fuel flow to individual cylinders of an engine are not possible on-engine or in real-time due to a lack of available appropriate measurement techniques. The objective of this work was to undertake real-time Coriolis fuel flow measurement using GDI injectors on a rig observing fuel mass flow rate within individual fuel injections. This paper evaluates the potential of this technology - combining Coriolis Flow Meters (CFMs) with Prism signal processing together known as Fast Next Generation Coriolis (Fast NGC), and serves as a basis for future transitions on-engine applications. A rig-based feasibility study has been undertaken injecting gasoline through a GDI injector at 150 bar in both single shot mode and at a simulated engine speeds of 1788 and 2978 rpm. The results show that these injections can, in principle, be observed. In addition a number of features of the Fast NGC system unique to gasoline are discussed, and the repeatability of the technique is preliminarily assessed. The study concludes that the Fast NGC system has the potential to measure individual injector flow rates on-engine in real-time.
- Felix Leach - University of Oxford
- Martin Davy - University of Oxford
- Manus Henry - University of Oxford
- Maruthi Rochishnu Malladi - University of Oxford
- Michael Tombs - University of Oxford
- Feibiao Zhou - University of Oxford
- Martin Gold - BP International Ltd.
- Richard Pearson - BP International Ltd.
CitationLeach, F., Davy, M., Henry, M., Malladi, M. et al., "Fast NGC: A New On-Line Technique for Fuel Flow Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0062, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0062.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Zhao, H. , Overview of Gasoline Direct Injection Engines, in Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development: Gasoline and Gas Engines (Woodhead Publishing Ltd., 2010).
- Eastwood, P. , Particulate Emissions from Vehicles (SAE International and John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2008).
- Leach, F., Knorsch, T., Laidig, C., and Wiese, W. , “A Review of the Requirements for Injection Systems and the Effects of Fuel Quality on Particulate Emissions from GDI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1710, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1710.
- Bosch, W. , “The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument for Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 660749, 1966, doi:10.4271/660749.
- Arcoumanis, C. and Baniasad, M. , “Analysis of Consecutive Fuel Injection Rate Signals Obtained by the Zeuch and Bosch Methods,” SAE Technical Paper 930921, 1993, doi:10.4271/930921.
- Payri, R., Gimeno, J., Marti-Aldaravi, P., and Vaquerizo, D. , “Momentum Flux Measurements on an ECN GDi Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1893, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1893.
- Hentschel, L. et al. , “Der Neue 1,0l TSI mit 85 kW Otto Partikelfilter-Saubere, Effiziente Performance Für Den UP! GTI,” in 26. Aachener Kolloquium, Aachen, Germany, 2017, 971-986.
- Baker, R.C. , Flow Measurement Handbook: Industrial Designs, Operating Principles, Performance, and Applications Second Edition (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2016).
- Leach, F., Davy, M., Henry, M., Tombs, M. et al. , “A New Method for Measuring Fuel Flow in an Individual Injection in Real Time,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0285, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0285.
- Leach, F. et al. , “Fast Coriolis Mass Flow Metering for Monitoring Diesel Fuel Injection,” Flow Measurement and Instrumentation 58:1-5, 2017.
- Henry, M., Bushuev, O., and Ibryaeva, O. , “Prism Signal Processing for Sensor Condition Monitoring,” in IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Edinburgh, UK, 2017.
- Henry, M. et al. , “The Prism: Efficient Signal Processing for the Internet of Things,” IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine 11(4):22-32, 2017.
- Henry, M.P. , “Method and System for Tracking Sinusoidal wave Parameters from a Received Signal that Includes Noise,” GB Patent Application GB1619086.0, November 11 2016.
- Henry, M.P. , “An Introduction to Prism Signal Processing Applied to Sensor Validation,” Measurement Techniques 60(12):1233-1237, 2018.
- Mohd Murad, S., Camm, J., Davy, M., Stone, R. et al. , “Spray Behaviour and Particulate Matter Emissions with M15 Methanol/Gasoline Blends in a GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0991, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0991.
- Sandford, M., Page, G., and Crawford, P. , “The all New AJV8,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1060, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1060.