This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Dynamic Test Bench for the Cooling Water Pump Characterization under Real Operating Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 30, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The dynamic performances of the cooling circuit have a great impact on ICE efficiency and CO2 emissions. Engine thermal management is among the most promising technologies able to offer a sensible reduction in terms of engine fuel consumption and CO2 emission. These aspects are widely treated in literature and many technologies are already on the market or ready to be used.
A reduced attention in literature, has been done on the pump performances during the real operating conditions. Homologation cycles try to reproduce these conditions. In light duty vehicles these cycles consist in accelerating and decelerating the engine following a specified velocity-time sequence. According to this procedure, the propulsion power requested by the vehicle is low, and the power absorbed by the auxiliaries became significant. The pump of the cooling fluid is the most important component among the auxiliaries.
In this paper, the performance of a cooling pump has been studied according to its operating points when a homologation cycle is run: the variability of the engine RPM drives, in fact, the pump at different speeds whose values are in a fixed ratio with engine RPM. Being the hydraulic load of the circuit known, the pump produces a sequence of flow rates variable during time.
A procedure to evaluate the variation of the pump speed during the homologation cycle has been developed. This time-pump speed variations have been used as set point in a dynamic pump test bench which reproduces closely the cooling circuit of the engine. Thanks to the wide applicability of the test bench, the limits of the usual centrifugal pumps have been discussed; the energy required to drive the pump has been measured and compared with that requested to drive the vehicle. Moreover, the coolant pump has been re-designed having as target the NEDC working points.
CitationCipollone PhD, R., Borasso, M., Di Battista, D., and Benincasa, M., "A Dynamic Test Bench for the Cooling Water Pump Characterization under Real Operating Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2018-37-0024, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-37-0024.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Blanco-Rodriguez , D. 2015
- Singh , A. , Wadhwani , D. , Sharma , P. , Rai , V. et al. Technology to Achieve Engine Efficacy: Friction Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0983 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0983
- Carvajal Trujillo , E. , Jiménez-Espadafor , F.J. , Becerra Villanueva , J.A. , and Torres García , M. Methodology for the Estimation of Cylinder Inner Surface Temperature in an Air-Cooled Engine Applied Thermal Engineering 31 8-9 1474 1481 2011
- Roberts , A. , Brooks , R. , and Shipway , P. Internal Combustion Engine Cold-Start Efficiency: A Review of the Problem, Causes and Potential Solutions Energy Conversion and Management 82 327 350 2014
- Di Battista , D. and Cipollone , R. Improving Engine Oil Warm Up through Waste Heat Recovery Energies 11 1 2018
- Vittorini , D. , Di Battista , D. , and Cipollone , R. Engine Oil Warm-Up through Heat Recovery on Exhaust Gases-Emissions Reduction Assessment during Homologation Cycles Thermal Science and Engineering Progress 5 412 421 2018
- Di Battista , D. and Cipollone , R. Experimental and Numerical Assessment of Methods to Reduce Warm Up Time of Engine Lubricant Oil Applied Energy 162 570 580 2016
- Liu , Z.-T. , Yin , X. , Han , S. , Sun , Z. et al. Study on Diesel Engine Coolant Temperature Control Strategy with Feedforward Neiranji Gongcheng/Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering 34 4 7 12 2013
- Castiglione , T. , Pizzonia , F. , and Bova , S. A Novel Cooling System Control Strategy for Internal Combustion Engines SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 9 2 294 302 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0226
- Castiglione , T. , Pizzonia , F. , Piccione , R. , and Bova , S. Detecting the Onset of Nucleate Boiling in Internal Combustion Engines Applied Energy 164 332 340 2016
- Fu , J. and Feng , Z. Numerical Simulation of Fuel Consumption of Vehicle Cold Start in Low Temperature Applied Mechanics and Materials 291-294 1925 1929 2013
- Caresana , F. , Bilancia , M. , and Bartolini , C.M. Numerical Method for Assessing the Potential of Smart Engine Thermal Management: Application to a Medium-Upper Segment Passenger Car Applied Thermal Engineering 31 16 3559 3568 2011
- Pang , S.C. , Masjuki , H.H. , Kalam , M.A. , and Hazrat , M.A. Transient Simulation of Coolant Peak Temperature due to Prolonged Fan and/or Water Pump Operation after the Vehicle is Keyed-Off Heat Mass Transfer 50 39 56 2014
- Shin , Y.H. , Kim , S.C. , and Kim , M.S. Use of Electromagnetic Clutch Water Pumps in Vehicle Engine Cooling Systems to Reduce Fuel Consumption Energy 57 1 624 631 2013
- Lim , D.H. , Kim , S.C. , and Kim , M.S. Thermal Analysis of an Electric Water Pump for Internal Combustion Engine Vehicles International Journal of Automotive Technology 14 4 579 585 2013
- Castiglione , T. , Franzè , G. , Algieri , A. , Morrone , P. et al. ICE Thermal Management: A Model Predictive Control Approach for CO 2 Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0158 2017 10.4271/2017-24-0158
- Ap , N.-S. , Jouanny , P. , Potier , M. , and Genoist , J. UltimateCooling™ System for New Generation of Vehicle VTMS Conference and Exhibition Toronto, Canada 2005-01-2005
- Cipollone , R. and Di Battista , D. Performances and Opportunities of an Engine Cooling System with a Double Circuit at Two Temperature Levels SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0638 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0638
- Malvicino , C. , Di Sciullo , F. , Ferraris , W. , Vestrelli , F. et al. Advanced Dual Level Vehicle Heat Rejection System for Passenger Cars SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 1260 1267 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1204
- Di Battista , D. and Cipollone , R. High Efficiency Air Conditioning Model Based Analysis for the Automotive Sector International Journal of Refrigeration 64 108 122 2016
- Cipollone , R. , Di Battista , D. , and Bettoja , F. Performances of an ORC Power Unit for Waste Heat Recovery on Heavy Duty Engine Energy Procedia 129 770 777 2017
- Cipollone , R. , Di Battista , D. , Perosino , A. , and Bettoja , F. Waste Heat Recovery by an Organic Rankine Cycle for Heavy Duty Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0234 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0234
- Cipollone , R. Di Battista , D. , and Gualtieri , A. Development of Thermal Modeling in Support of Engine Cooling Design SAE Technical Paper 2013-14-090 Internal Combustion Engine Conference, SAENA Capri, Italy September 15-19 2013 2013-24-0090
- Cipollone , R. Di Battista , D. , and Gualtieri , A. Head and Block Split Cooling in ICE IFAC Workshop on Engine and Powertrain Control Simulation and Modeling (ECOSM12) Rueil-Malmaison, France October 23-25 2012 400 407
- Cipollone , R. , Di Battista , D. , and Gualtieri , A. A Novel Engine Cooling System with Two Circuits Operating at Different Temperatures Energy Conversion and Management 75 581 592 2013
- Mathur , G. , Hara , J. , Iwasaki , M. , and Meguriya , Y. Development of an Innovative Energy Efficient Compact Cooling System “SLIM” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1201 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1201
- Di Battista , D. , Di Bartolomeo , M. , Villante , C. , and Cipollone , R. On the Limiting Factors of the Waste Heat Recovery via ORC-Based Power Units for On-The-Road Transportation Sector Energy Conversion and Management 155 68 77 2018
- Cho , J. , Kim , K. , Yang , K. , Suh , I. et al. The CAE Analysis of a Cylinder Head Water Jacket Design for Engine Cooling Optimization SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1459 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1459
- Osman , A. , Mohd Razali , R. , and Nurdin , N. Powertrain Warm-Up Optimization Involving Simplified Split Cooling with Integrated Exhaust Heat Recovery and Reuse SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0086 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0086
- Cipollone , R. , Di Battista , D. , Contaldi , G. , Murgia , S. et al. Development of a Sliding Vane Rotary Pump for Engine Cooling Energy Procedia 81 775 783 2015
- Cipollone , R. and Di Battista , D. Sliding Vane Rotary Pump in Engine Cooling System for Automotive Sector Applied Thermal Engineering 76 157 166 2015
- Corti , E. , Taccioli , M. , and Ponti , F. Model-Based Test Bench Conditioning Systems Control SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0129 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0129
- Cipollone , R. , Bianchi , G. , Di Battista , D. , and Fatigati , F. Fuel Economy Benefits of a New Engine Cooling Pump Based on Sliding Vane Technology with Variable Eccentricity Energy Procedia 82 265 272 2015
- Bitsis , D. and Miwa , J. Optimization of Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Lubricant and Coolant Pumps for Parasitic Loss Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0980 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0980