This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental evaluation of multiple FEAD layouts and potential contribution for fuel consumption and emissions reduction in downsized internal combustion engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Increasingly research has been conducted lately towards reduction of both fuel consumption and gases emission in automotive vehicles propelled by Internal Combustion Engines. Among many initiatives, downsizing of those engines has been broadly adopted, arising side effects as increased vibration levels along Front-End Accessory Drive (FEAD) system. The present study focuses on the potential improvement of transmission efficiency and of vibration levels along FEAD by considering different layouts for the system. Multiple combinations of alternator pulley technologies and tensioner types are evaluated either during in-vehicle tests or in customized test rig that emulates vehicle FEAD in operating conditions. Specific transducers spred over the vehicle and at test rig assure the relevant data are captured for every layout arrangement investigated. Experimental results evidence the influence of distinct alternator pulley technologies and tensioner types on both transmission efficiency and vibration levels along FEAD during critical operating conditions. Moreover, the proposed experimental approach can be adopted to refine FEAD layout into a feasible arrangement, which can contribute to validate downsized internal combustion engines.
- Celso Kenzo Takemori - VIBROACUSTICA
- Diego Wilian da Silva - VIBROACUSTICA
- Edmar Baars - VIBROACUSTICA
- Andre Francioso Ferreira - ZEN S.A. Indústria Metalúrgica
- Alvaro Canto Michelotti - ZEN S.A. Indústria Metalúrgica
- Lucas Figueiro Berto - ZEN S.A. Indústria Metalúrgica
- Pedro Palma Pastorelli - ZEN S.A. Indústria Metalúrgica
CitationFerreira, A., Michelotti, A., Berto, L., Pastorelli, P. et al., "Experimental evaluation of multiple FEAD layouts and potential contribution for fuel consumption and emissions reduction in downsized internal combustion engines," SAE Technical Paper 2018-36-0050, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-36-0050.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Michelotti , A.C. et al. Functional Testing of Alternator Pulleys in Chassis Dynamometer SAE Technical paper nr. 2013-360124 2013
- Michelotti , A.C. et al. In-vehicle experimental tests to evaluate the performance of alternator pulleys SAE Technical paper nr. 2017-36-0433 2017
- Pastorelli , P. P. et al. Analytical Models for Spring One-Way Clutch and Torsional Vibration Dampening Systems with Experimental Correlation SAE Technical paper nr. 2017-360407 2017