Influence of Autoignition and Pressure Wave Behavior on Knock Intensity Based on Multipoint Pressure Measurement and In-Cylinder Visualization of the End Gas
Published October 30, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
In this study, the effect of autoignition behavior in the unburned end-gas region on pressure wave formation and knock intensity was investigated. A single-cylinder gasoline engine capable of high-speed observation of the end gas was used in the experiments. Visualization in the combustion chamber and spectroscopic measurement of light absorption by the end gas were carried out to analyze autoignition behavior in the unburned end-gas portion and the reaction history before autoignition. The process of autoignition and pressure wave growth was investigated by analyzing multipoint pressure histories. As a result, it was found that knocking intensity increases through interaction between autoignition and pressure waves.
CitationYamashita, T., Takahata, S., Kudo, H., Izako, T. et al., "Influence of Autoignition and Pressure Wave Behavior on Knock Intensity Based on Multipoint Pressure Measurement and In-Cylinder Visualization of the End Gas," SAE Technical Paper 2018-32-0001, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-32-0001.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Dahnz, C., Han, K., Spicher, U., Magar, M. et al. , “Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):214-224, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0355.
- Ohta, Y. , “Piston-Compression Ignition Related to Engine Knock,” Journal of the Combustion Society of Japan (in Japanese) 95:54-67, 1994.
- Gaydon, A.G. , The Spectroscopy of Flame Second Edition (London: Chapman and Hall Ltd, 1974), 371.
- Iijima, A. , “A Study of the Mechanism Causing Pressure Waves and Knock in an SI Engine under High-Speed and Supercharged Operation,” JSAE International Journal of Automotive Engineering, 2018, in press.
- Iijima, A. , “Analysis of Interaction between Autoignition and Strong Pressure Wave Formation during Knock in a Supercharged SI Engine Based on High Speed Photography of the End Gas,” SAE International Journal of Engines 10(5):2616-2623, 2017.