This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fabrication and Mechanical Properties of Alumina Nanoparticle Reinforced Magnesium Metal Matrix Composite by Stir Casting Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 9, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In the present experimental investigation magnesium based alloy was prepared by mixing magnesium powder and aluminium powder in the ratio 65:35. The prepared magnesium alloy is used as the matrix material. Metal matrix composites were prepared by stir casting route. The composite was prepared by reinforcing 50 nm alumina nanoparticle so that the final composite contains 5, 10 and 15 wt.% alumina. Mechanical properties such as tensile strength, yield strength, impact strength and hardness were evaluated. Significant improvement was observed in impact strength and hardness value. The result showed that magnesium alloy with 5 wt.% alumina nanoparticle has a maximum impact strength of 25.2 J and hardness value 63.86 Hv respectively. Tensile strength and yield strength shows marginal increase in value.
CitationT, T., J, C., Sethupathi, P., and Jesu Martin, L., "Fabrication and Mechanical Properties of Alumina Nanoparticle Reinforced Magnesium Metal Matrix Composite by Stir Casting Method," SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0098, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-28-0098.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Blawert, C., Hort, N., and Kainer, K.U. , “Automative Application of Magnesium and Its Alloys,” Trans. Indian Inst. Metals 57:397-408, 2004.
- Kulekci, M.K. , “Magnesium and Its Alloys Applications in Automotive Industry,” Int.J.Adv.Manuf.Technol 39:851-865, 2008.
- Shen, M.J., Wang, X.J., Zhang, M.F., Zheng, M.Y., and Wu, K. , “Significantly Improved Strength and Ductility in Bimodal-Size Grained Microstructural Magnesium Matrix Composites Reinforced by Bimodal Sized SiCp over Traditional Magnesium Matrix Composites,” Composites Science and Technology 118:85-93, 2015.
- Akinwekomi, A.D., Law, W.-C., Tang, C.-Y., Chen, L., and Tsui, C.-P. , “Rapid Microwave Sintering of Carbon Nanotube-Filled AZ61magnesium Alloy Composites,” Composites Part B Engineering 93:302-309, 2016.
- Rashad, M., Pan, F., Asif, M., She, J., and Ullah, A. , “Improved Mechanical Proprieties of “Magnesium Based Composites” with Titanium Aluminum Hybrids,” Journal of Magnesium and Alloys 3:1-9, 2015.
- Ratna Sunil, B., Pradeep Kumar Reddy, G., Patle, H., and Dumpala, R. , “Magnesium Based Surface Metal Matrix Composites by Friction Stir Processing,” Journal of Magnesium and Alloys 4:52-61, 2016.
- Rashad, M., Pan, F., Lind, D., and Asif, M. , “High Temperature Mechanical Behavior of AZ61 Magnesium Alloy Reinforced with Graphene Nanoplatelets,” Materials and Design 89:1242-1250, 2016.
- Deng, K., Wanga, C., Wang, X., Wub, K., and Zheng, M. , “Microstructure and Elevated Tensile Properties of Submicron SiCp/AZ91 Magnesium Matrix Composite,” Materials and Design 38:110-114, 2012.
- Esmaily, M., Mortazavi, N., Svensson, J.E., Halvarsson, M. et al. , “A New Semi-Solid Casting Technique for Fabricating SiC-Reinforced Mg Alloys Matrix Composites,” Composites Part B Engineering 94:176-189, 2016.
- Aravindan, S., Rao, P.V., and Ponappa, K. , “Evaluation of Physical and Mechanical Properties of AZ91D/SiC Composites by Two Step Stir Casting Process,” J. Magnes. Alloys 3:52-62, 2015.
- Wang, X.J., Wang, N.Z., Wang, L.Y., Hu, X.S. et al. , “Processing, Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Micro-SiC Particles Reinforced Magnesium Matrix Composites Fabricated by Stir Casting Assisted by Ultrasonic Treatment Processing,” Materials and Design 57:638-645, 2014.
- Sameer Kumar, D., Suman, K.N.S., Tara Sasanka, C., Ravindra, K. et al. , “Microstructure, Mechanical Response and Fractography of AZ91E/Al2O3 (p) Nano Composite Fabricated by Semi Solid Stir Casting Method,” Journal of Magnesium Alloys, doi:10.1016/j.jma.2016.11.006.
- Karthick, E., Mathai, J., Michael Tony, J., and Marikkannana, S.K. , “Processing, Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Al2O3 and SiC Reinforced Magnesium Metal Matrix Hybrid Composites,” Materials Today: Proceedings 4:6750-6756, 2017.
- Rahmany-Gorji, R., Alizadeh, A., and Jafari, H. , “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Stir Cast ZX51/Al2O3p Magnesium Matrix Composites,” Materials Science & Engineering A, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2016.07.057.
- Mazahery, A., Abdizadeh, H., and Baharvandi, H.R. , “Development of High-Performance 356/Nano-Al2O3 Composites,” Materials Science and Engineering A 518:61-64, 2009.