This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation on Properties of Industrial Workers Safety Helmet Using Natural Hybrid Composite
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 9, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In this project work, composites were prepared by using matrix method in which good adhesion was generated by a combination of hand layup method. This experiment was conducted to evaluate the suitability of natural fiber composites using luffa fiber, palm fiber and bamboo fiber and to fabricate the safety helmet by combining these three fibers. Initially these fibers were treated in sodium hydroxide solution in order to improve fiber interfacial bonding. Generally, composites that contain treated fiber have a higher tensile modulus and greater flexural modulus than do untreated fiber composites. Here using 40% fibers and 60% matrix for fabricating natural composites and to investigate its tensile strength, flexural strength, impact strength and hardness strength. It was observed that the effects of reinforcing epoxy resin matrix with the fibers caused the composites to be more flexible and easily deform due to high strain values and reduction of high resonant amplitude. In the present study, an attempt has been made to reinforce, epoxy resin matrix with this proportion of these natural fibers and to characterize its mechanical performances to evaluate their suitability for helmet applications.
CitationJ, T., N, V., and V, V., "Evaluation on Properties of Industrial Workers Safety Helmet Using Natural Hybrid Composite," SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0049, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-28-0049.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
- Mani, P., Dellibabu, G.V., Anilbasha, K., and Anbukarsi, K. ., “Tensile and Flexural Properties of Luffa Fiber Reinforced Composite Material,” International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT) 3(May):1882-1885, 2014, ISSN:2278-0181.
- Pradeep, P. and Edwin Raja Dhas, J. , “Characterization of Chemical and Physical Properties of Palm Fibers,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering: An International Journal (MSEJ) 2(4):01-06, Dec. 2015..
- Wani, R.S. and Shitole, R.R. , “Tensile Testing of Bamboo Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Composite,” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) 7-11, doi:10.9790/1684-17010050711.
- Arunprasath, B., Narasiman, E., and Sivakumar, B.G. (2015)., “ Fabrication and Analysis of Flax Preperg Natural Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Composite Material for Helmet Outer Shell,” International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology 4(9):8500-8506, Sept., doi:10.15680/IJIRSET.2015.040 9204.
- Johnson, R.A. and Kadam, A.P. , “Development of Motorcycle Helmet Using Carrot Fibre and Polymer Matrix-Review Study,” International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science 4(01):349-355, Mar. 2016.
- Murali, B., Chandramohan, D., Nagoor Vali, S.K., and Mohan, B. , “Fabrication of Industrial Safety Helmet by Using Hybrid Composite Materials,” Journal of Middle East Applied Science and Technology (JMEAST) (15):584-587, May 2014, ISSN (Online):2305-0225.
- Natsa, S., Akindapo, J.O., and Garba, D.K. , “Development of a Military Helmet Using Coconut Fiber Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composite,” European Journal of Engineering and Technology 3(7):55-65, 2015, ISSN:2056-5860.
- Narayanan, L., Mohammad Giyahudeen, R., and Sathishkumar, S. , “Design and Analysis of Industrial Safety Helmet by Using Hybrid Natural Fibre (Papaya Stem & Sisal Fiber) Composite Materials,” International Journal of Pharmacy & Technology 9(2):30100-30109, June 2017.
- Rajasekar, K, Ashokkumar, K, and Narayanan, L. , “Design and Analysis of Industrial Safety Helmet Using Natural Fibers,” International Journal of Innovations in Engineering and Technology (IJIET) 5(3):31-37, June 2015.
- Olaitan, A.J., Ufuoma, O.D., King, G.D., and Rapheal, O. , “Production of a Safety Helmet Using Palm Kernel Fiber and Shell Particulates,” International Journal of Engineering Science Invention 6:44-55, Feb. 2017, ISSN (Online):2319-6734, ISSN (Print):2319-6726.