This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Selection of Optimum Blend of Waste Plastic Oil-Diesel Blends Adapting Combinatorial Mathematics Based Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 9, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In order to compensate energy demand while with replacement of fossil fuels at least to some extent, the development of alternative energy sources is evitable. Global warming and waste management policies have forced for the use of alternative fuels on engines. The production of fuel from plastic wastes will indeed tackle the environmental pollution problem of waste plastic management in the landfills. Plastics being derived from petrochemical source has higher amount of hydrocarbon which yield oil with high calorific value. Engine tests have been carried out using neat waste plastic oil and blends of waste plastic oil in proportions of 25%, 50%, and 75% with diesel as fuel. Combinatorial mathematics based approach has been adapted to choose the optimum blend for superior performance of the engine. Carbon hydrogen nitrogen sulphur analysis of waste plastic oil blends reveals that the amount of oxygen increases with increase in waste plastic oil percentage in blends. Results of combinatorial mathematics based approach and experimental tests showed that 25% of waste plastic oil with diesel is optimum blend.
CitationPappula, B., Periyasamy PhD, P., Krishnan, P., and Geetha, N., "Selection of Optimum Blend of Waste Plastic Oil-Diesel Blends Adapting Combinatorial Mathematics Based Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0018, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-28-0018.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Öncel, M.S., Nihal, B., Senem, B., Güleda, E. et al., “Hazardous Wastes and Waste Generation Factors for Plastic Products Manufacturing Industries in Turkey,” Sustain Environ Res 27(4):188-194, 2017.
- Guo, L. and Dong, Q.W., “Study of Recycling Singapore Solid Waste as Land Reclamation Filling Material,” Sustain Environmental Research 27(1):1-6, 2017.
- Demirbas, A., “Pyrolysis of Municipal Plastic Wastes for Recovery of Gasoline Range Hydrocarbons,” J Anal Appl Pyrol 72:97-102, 2004.
- Omar, K., M., Ouda, S.R., Jawad, F.A., and Abdul, S.N., “Waste-to-Energy Potential in the Western Province of Saudi Arabia,” Journal of King Saud University - Engineering Sciences 29:212-220, 2017.
- Srithar, K., Arun, B.K., Pavendan, V., and Ashok, K.B., “Experimental Investigations on Mixing of Two Biodiesels Blended with Diesel as Alternative Fuel for Diesel Engines,” Journal of King Saud University - Engineering Sciences 29:50-56, 2017.
- Paul, D., M., Vijay, K.K., Durga, P.B., and Ravi, K.P., “Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engine Operated on Plastic Pyrolysis Oil with Exhaust Gas Recirculation,” International Journal of Ambient Energy 38(3):295-299, 2017.
- Damodharan, D., Sathiyagnanam, A.P., Rana, D., Rajesh, K.B. et al., “Extraction and Characterization of Waste Plastic Oil with the Effect of n-Butanol Addition on the Performance and Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with WPO Diesel Blends,” Energ Convers Manage 131:117-126, 2017.
- Devraj, J., Robinson, Y., and Ganapathi, P., “Experimental Investigation of Performance Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Waste Plastic Pyrolysis Oil Blended with di Ethyl Ether Used as Fuel for Diesel Engine,” Energy 85:304-309, 2015.
- Rajan, K.M., Singh, S.K., and Arbind, K., “Experimental Evaluation of Waste Plastic Oil and Its Blend on a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine,” J Mech Sci Technol 30(10):4781-4798, 2016.
- Mani, M., Nagarajan, G., and Sampath, S., “An Experimental Investigation on a DI Diesel Engine Using Waste Plastic Oil with Exhaust Gas Recirculation,” Fuel 89:1826-1832, 2010.
- Mani, M. and Nagarajan, G., “Influence of Injection Timing on Performance Emission and Combustion Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Running on Waste Plastic Oil,” Energy 34:1617-1623, 2009.
- Anantha, K.S., Jayabal, S., and Thirumal, P., “Investigation on Performance Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Variable Compression Engine Fuelled with Diesel Waste Plastic Oil Blends,” J Braz Soc Mech Eng 39(1):19-28, 2017.
- Prasada, R.K., Apparao, B. V., “Parametric Optimization for Performance and Emissions of an IDI Engine with Mahua Biodiesel,” Egyptian Journal of Petroleum, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.ejpe.2016.10.003.
- Jagannath, B., H. and Atul, S.P., “Performance Optimization of CI Engine Fuelled with Waste Fried Oil Methyl Ester Diesel Blend Using Response Surface Methodology,” Fuel 119:266-273, 2014.
- Saravanan, S., Rajesh, K.B., Varadharajan, A., Balaji, S. et al., “Optimization of DI Diesel Engine Parameters Fueled with iso Butanol Diesel Blends Response Surface Methodology Approach,” Fuel 203:658-670, 2017.
- Probir, K., B., Madhujt, D., Rahul, B., and Arindam, M., “Multi Objective Optimization of Performance Parameters of a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Running with Hydrogen Using a Taguchi Fuzzy Based Approach,” Energy 63:375-386, 2013.
- Bhaskar, B.J. and Ujjwal, S.K., “Optimization of Injection Timing and Compression Ratio of a Raw Biogas Powered Dual Fuel Diesel Engine,” Appl Therm Eng 92:111-121, 2016.
- Bridjesh, P. et al., “MEA and DEE as Additives on Diesel Engine Using Waste Plastic Oil Diesel Blends,” Sustain Environ Res, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.serj.2018.01.001.
- Dinesh, S. and Venkatarao, R., “A Hybrid Multiple Attribute Decision Making Method for Solving Problems of Industrial Environment,” International Journal of Industrial Engineering Computations 2:631-644, 2011.
- Venkatarao, R., Decision Making in the Manufacturing Environment Using Graph Theory and Fuzzy Multiple Attribute Decision Making Methods. Vol. 2 (New York: Springer, 2012).
- Saaty, T., L., The Analytic Hierarchy Process (New York: McGraw Hill, 1980).
- Venkatarao, R., “Decision Making in the Manufacturing Environment Using Graph Theory and Fuzzy Multiple Attribute Decision Making Methods,” Vol. 1, New York, Springer, 2007.
- Venkatarao, R., “Environmental Impact Assessment of Manufacturing Process Using a Combinatorial Mathematics Based Decision Making Method,” International Journal of Sustainable Engineering 1(1):42-50, 2008.
- Venkatarao, R. and Manukid, P., “Flexible Manufacturing System Selection Using a Combinatorial Mathematics Based Decision Making Method,” International Journal of Production Research 47(24):6981-6998, 2009.
- Wang, Y., M. and Chin, K.S., “A New Approach for the Selection of Advanced Manufacturing Technologies DEA with Double Frontiers,” Int J Prod Res 47(23):6663-6679, 2009.