This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sources of Variability in Structural Bending Response of Pediatric and Adult Human Ribs in Dynamic Frontal Impacts
Published November 12, 2018 by The Stapp Association in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Despite safety advances, thoracic injuries in motor vehicle crashes remain a significant source of morbidity and mortality, and rib fractures are the most prevalent of thoracic injuries. The objective of this study was to explore sources of variation in rib structural properties in order to identify sources of differential risk of rib fracture between vehicle occupants. A hierarchical model was employed to quantify the effects of demographic differences and rib geometry on structural properties including stiffness, force, displacement, and energy at failure and yield. Three-hundred forty-seven mid-level ribs from 182 individual anatomical donors were dynamically (~2 m/s) tested to failure in a simplified bending scenario mimicking a frontal thoracic impact. Individuals ranged in age from 4 - 108 years (mean 53 ± 23 years) and included 59 females and 123 males of diverse body sizes. Age, sex, body size, aBMD, whole rib geometry and cross-sectional geometry were explored as predictors of rib structural properties. Measures of cross-sectional rib size (Tt.Ar), bone quantity (Ct.Ar), and bone distribution (Z) generally explained more variation than any other predictors, and were further improved when normalized by rib length (e.g., robustness and WBSI). Cortical thickness (Ct.Th) was not found to be a useful predictor. Rib level predictors performed better than individual level predictors. These findings moderately explain differential risk for rib fracture and with additional exploration of the rib’s role in thoracic response, may be able contribute to ATD and HBM development and alterations in addition to improvements to thoracic injury criteria and scaling methods.
- Amanda M. Agnew - Yun-Seok Kang Injury Biomechanics Research Center, The Ohio
- Michelle M. Murach - Yun-Seok Kang Injury Biomechanics Research Center, The Ohio
- Victoria M. Dominguez - Yun-Seok Kang Injury Biomechanics Research Center, The Ohio
- Akshara Sreedhar - Yun-Seok Kang Injury Biomechanics Research Center, The Ohio
- Elina Misicka - Yun-Seok Kang Injury Biomechanics Research Center, The Ohio
- Angela Harden - Yun-Seok Kang Injury Biomechanics Research Center, The Ohio
- John H. Bolte - Yun-Seok Kang Injury Biomechanics Research Center, The Ohio
- Jason Stammen - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Vehicle Rese
- Kevin Moorhouse - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Vehicle Rese
CitationAgnew, A., Murach, M., Dominguez, V., Sreedhar, A. et al., "Sources of Variability in Structural Bending Response of Pediatric and Adult Human Ribs in Dynamic Frontal Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 2018-22-0004, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-22-0004.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 13]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 14]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 15]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 16]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 17]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 18]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 19]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 20]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 21]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 22]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 23]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 24]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 25]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 26]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 27]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 28]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 29]|
- Agnew, A., Dominguez, V., Sciulli, P., and Stout, S. (2017a) Variability of in vivo linear microcrack accumulation in the cortex of elderly human ribs. Bone Reports 6:60-63.
- Agnew, A., Moorhouse, K., Kang, Y-S., Donnelly, B., Pfefferle, K., Manning, A., Litsky, A., Herriott, R., Abdel-Rasoul, M., and Bolte IV, J.H. (2013) The response of pediatric ribs to quasi-static loading: Mechanical properties and microstructure. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 41:2501-2514.
- Agnew, A., Murach, M., Misicka, E., Moorhouse, K., Bolte IV, J.H., and Kang Y-S. (2017b) The effect of body size on adult human rib structural properties. International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury. Antwerp, Belgium. 728-736.
- Agnew, A., Schafman, M., Moorhouse, K., White, S., and Kang, Y-S. (2015). The effect of age on the structural properties of human ribs. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 41:302-314.
- Agnew, A., and Stout, S. (2012) Reevaluating osteoporosis in human ribs: The role of intracortical porosity. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 148:462-466.
- Albert, D., Kang, Y-S., Agnew, A, and Kemper, A. (2017) A comparison of rib structural and material properties from matched whole rib bending and tension coupon tests. International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury. Antwerp, Belgium. 567-576.
- Albert, D., Kang, Y-S., Agnew, A., and Kemper, A. (2018) The effect of injurious whole rib loading on rib cortical bone material properties. International Council on Biomechanics of Injury. Athens, Greece. 680-687.
- Antonacci, M., Hanson, D., and Heggeness, M.. (1996) Pitfalls in the measurement of bone mineral density by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry. Spine 21:87-91.
- Arbogast, K.B., Maltese, M., Nadkarni, V., Steen, P., and Nysaether, J. (2006) Anterior-posterior thoracic force-deflection characteristics measured during cardiopulmonary resuscitation: Comparison to post-mortem human subject data. Stapp Car Crash Journal 50:131-145.
- ASTM. (2016) E8/E8M-16a. Standard test methods for tension testing of metallic materials. West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM International.
- Bachrach, L. (2006) Measuring bone mass in children: can we really do it? Hormone Research 65:11-16.
- Baudrit, P., Petitjean, A., Potier, P., Trosseille, X., and Vallencien, G. (2014) Comparison of the thorax dynamic responses of small female and midsize male post mortem human subjects in side and forward oblique impact tests. Stapp Car Crash Journal 58:103-121.
- Benjamin, D., Berger, J., Johannesson, M., Nosek, B., Wagenmakers, E., Berk, R., Bollen, K., and et al. (2018) Redefine statistical significance. Nature Human Behavior 2:6-10.
- Binkley, T.L., Berry, R., and Specker, B.L. (2008) Methods for measurement of pediatric bone. Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders 9:95-106.
- Bliss, D., and Silen, M. (2002) Pediatric thoracic trauma. Critical Care in Medicine 30:S409-S415.
- Bolotin, H.H. (2007) DXA in vivo BMD methodology: An erroneous and misleading research and clinical gauge of bone mineral status, bone fragility, and bone remodeling. Bone 41:138-154.
- Borchers, R., Gibson, L., Burchardt, H., and Hayes W. (1995) Effects of selected thermal variables on the mechanical properties of trabecular bone. Biomaterials 16:545-551.
- Brumbelow, M., and Zuby, D. (2009) Impact and injury patterns in frontal crashes of vehicles with good ratings for frontal crash protection. Enhanced Safety of Vehicles. Stuttgart, Germany. Paper 09-0257.
- Burr, D.B. (2016) Bone biomechanics and bone quaility: Effects of pharmaceutical agents used to treat osteoporosis. Clinical Review in Bone and Mineral Metabolism 14:197-217.
- Carter, D., Bouxsein, M., and Marcus, R. (1992) New approaches for interpreting projected bone densitometry data. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 7:137-145.
- Charpail, E., Trosseille, X., Petit, P., Laporte, S., Lavaste, F., and Vallencien, G. (2005) Characterization of PMHS ribs: A new test methodology. Stapp Car Crash Journal 49:183-198.
- Cohen, A., Dempster, D.W., Recker, R., Lappe, J., Zhou, H., Zwahlen, A., Muller, R., Zhao, B., Guo, X., Lang, T. et al. (2013) Abdominal fat is associated with lower bone formation and inferior bone quality in health premenopausal women: A transiliac bone biopsy study. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 98:2562-2572.
- Cooper, A., Barlow, B., Discala, C., and String, D. (1994) Mortality and truncal injury: The pediatric perspective. Journal of Pediatric Surgery 29:33-38.
- Cormier, J.M., Stitzel, J.D., Duma, S.M., and Matsuoka, F. (2005) Regional variation in the structural response and geometrical properties of human ribs. Annals of Advances in Automotive Medicine 49:153-170.
- Crandall, J., Bass, C., Pikey, W., Miller, H., Sikorsky, J., and Wilkins, M. (1996) Thoracic response and injury with belt, driver side airbag, and force limited belt restraint systems. International Journal of Crashworthiness 2:119-132.
- Crandall, J., Kent, R., Patrie, J., Fertile, J., and Martin, P. (2000) Rib fracture patterns and radiological detection: A restraint-cased comparison. Annals of Advances in Automotive Medicine 44:235-259.
- Crowder, C., and Rosella, L.(2007) Assessment of intra-and intercostal variation in rib histomorphometry: Its impact on evidentiary examination. Journal of Forensic Sciences 52:271-276.
- Cvijetic, S., and Korsic, M. (2004) Apparent bone mineral density estimated from DXA in healthy men and women. Osteoporosis International 15:295-300.
- Daegling, D.J., Warren, M.W., Hotzman, J.L., and Self, C.J. (2008) Structural analysis of human rib fracture and implications for forensic interpretation. Journal of Forensic Sciences 53:1301-1307.
- De Laet, C., Kanis, J.A., Oden, A., Johanson, H., Johnell, O., Delmas, P., Eisman, J., Kroger, H., Fujiwara, S., Garnero, P. et al. (2005) Body mass index as a predictor of fracture risk: A metaanalysis. Osteoporosis International 16:1330-1338.
- Dominguez, V., and Agnew, A. (2014) Patterns in resorptive spaces in elderly rib cortices. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 153:107.
- Dominguez V., and Agnew, A. (2016) Examination of factors potentially influencing osteon size in the human rib. Anatomical Record 299:313-324.
- Dominguez V., Kang, Y-S., Murach, M., Crowe, N., and Agnew, A. (2016) Bone area vs cortical area: Considering intracortical porosity when predicting rib structural properties. International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury. Malaga, Spain. 933-934.
- Eleazer, C., and Jankauskas, R. (2016). Mechanical and metabolic interactions in cortical bone development. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 160:317-333.
- Eppinger, R., Marcus, J., and Morgan, R. (1984) Development of dummy and injury index for NHTSA's thoracic side impact protection research program. SAE International.
- Felsenberg, D., and Boonen, S. (2005) The bone quality framework: determinants of bone strength and their interrelationships, and implications for osteoporosis management. Clinical Therapeutics 27:1-11.
- Franklyn, M., Peiris, S., Huber, C., and Yang, K.H. (2007) Pediatric material properties: A review of human child and animal surrogates. Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering 35:197-342.
- Frost, H.M. (1969) Tetracycline-based histological analysis of bone remodeling. Calcified Tissue Research 3:211-237.
- Gafni, R.I., and Baron, J. (2004) Overdiagnosis of osteoporosis in children due to misinterpretation of Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA). Journal of Pediatrics 144:253-257.
- Genant, H.K., and Jiang, J.Y. (2006) Imaging assessment of bone quality in osteoporosis. Clinical Reviews in Bone and Mineral Metabolism 4:213-224.
- Hair, J., Black, W., Babin, B., and Anderson, R. (2018) Multivariate data analysis: Cengage Learning EMEA.
- Hanna, R., and Hershman, L. (2009) Evaluation of thoracic injuries among older vehicle occupants. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. DOT HS 811 101.
- Hill, J., and Boyle, L. (2006) Assessing the relative risk of severe injury in automotive crasehs for older female occupants. Accident Analysis and Prevention 38:148-154.
- Hinkle, D., Wiersma, W., and Jurs, S. (2003) Applied statistics for the behavioral sciences Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Holcomb, J.B., McMullin, N.R., Kozar, R.A., Lygas, M.H., and Moore, F.A. (2003) Morbidity from rib fractures increases after age 45. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 196:549-555.
- Holcombe, S., Hwang, E., Derstine, B., and Wang, S. (2018) Measuring rib cortical bone thickness and cross-section from CT. Medical Image Analysis 49:27-34.
- Holcombe, S., Wang, S., and Grotberg, J. (2016a) The effect of rib shape on stiffness. Stapp Car Crash Journal 60:11-24.
- Holcombe, S., Wang, S., and Grotberg, J. (2016b) Modeling female and male rib geometry with logarithmic spirals. Journal of Biomechanics 49:2995-3003.
- Hu, J., Zhang, K., Fanta, A., Jones, M., Reed, M., Neal, M., Wang, J., Lin, C., and Cao, L. (2017) Stature and body shape effects on driver injury risks in frontal crashes: A parametric human modelling study. International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury. Antwerp, Belgium. 656-667.
- Kalra, A., Saif, T., Shen, M., Jin, X., Zhu, F., Begeman, P., and Yang, K.H. (2015) Characterization of human rib biomechanical response due to three-point bending. Stapp Car Crash Journal 59:113-130.
- Kanis, J.A., Melton, L., Christiansen, C., Johnston, C, and et al. (1994) The diagnosis of osteoporosis. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 9:1137-1141.
- Kemper, A., McNally, C., Pullins, C., Freeman, L., Duma, S.M., and Rouhana, S. (2007) The biomechanics of human ribs: Material and structural properties from dynamic tension and bending tests. Stapp Car Crash Journal 51:1-39.
- Kent, R., Henary, B., and Matsuoka, F. (2005) On the fatal crash experience of older drivers. Annals of Advances in Automotive Medicine 49.
- Kent, R., and Patrie, J. (2005) Chest deflection tolerance to blunt anterior loading is sensitive to age but not load distribution. Forensic Science International 149:121-128.
- Kent, R., Woods, W., and Bostrom, O. (2008) Fatality risk and the presence of rib fractures. Annals of Advances in Automotive Medicine 52:73-84.
- Kerr, M., and Maconochie, I. (2008) Paediatric chest trauma (part 1)- Initial lethal injuries. Trauma 10:183-194.
- Kindig, M.W., Lau, A.G., Forman, J., and Kent, R. (2010) Structural response of cadaveric ribcages under localized loading: stiffness and kinematic trends. Stapp Car Crash Journal 54:337-380.
- Kindig, M.W., Lau, A.G., and Kent, R.W. (2011) Biomechanical response of ribs under quasistatic frontal loading. Traffic Injury Prevention 12:377-387.
- Lee, E., Craig, M., and Scarboro, M. (2015) Real-world rib fracture patterns in frontal crashes in different restraint conditions. Traffic Injury Prevention 16:S115-S123.
- Lee, J., Begeman, P., Yang, K., and King, A. (2003) Biomechanical properties of the male and female chest. International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury. 235-247.
- Li, Z., Kindig, M.W., Subit, D., and Kent, R. (2010a) Influence of mesh density, cortical thickness and material properties on human rib fracture prediction. Medical Engineering and Physics 32:998-1008.
- Li, Z., Subit, D., Kindig, M.W., and Kent, R. (2010b) Development of a finite element ribcage model of the 50th percentile male with variable rib cortical thickness. Proceedings of the Thirty-Eighth International NHTSA Workshop. AZ.
- Lien, Y., Chen, C., and Lin, H. (2009) Risk factors for 24-hour mortality after traumatic rib fractures owing to motor vehicle accidents: A nationwide population-based study. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 88:1124-1130.
- Lin, M., Lucas, H., and Shmueli, G. (2013) Too big to fail: Large samples and the p-value problem. Information Systems Research 24:883-1167.
- Linde, F., and Sorensen, H. (1993) The effect of different storage methods on the mechanical properties of trabecular bone. Journal of Bioemechanics 26:1249-1252.
- Maltese, M., Castner, T., Niles, D., Nishisaki, A., Balasubramanian, S., Nysaether, J., Sutton, R., Nadkarni, V., and Arbogast, K.B. (2008) Methods for determining pediatric thoracic force-deflection characteristics from cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Stapp Car Crash Journal 52:83-105.
- Mertz, H. (1984) A procedure for normalizing impact response data. SAE International.
- Mohr, M., Abrams, E., Engel, C., Long, W.B., and Bottlang, M. (2007) Geometry of human ribs pertinent to orthopedic chest-wall reconstruction. Journal of Biomechanics 40:1310-1317.
- Moorhouse, K. (2013) An improved normalization methodology for developing mean human response curves. International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV). Seoul, South Korea.
- Morgan, R., Eppinger, R., Haffner, M., Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F., Sances Jr., A., Crandall, J., Pilkey, W., Klopp, G., Kallieris, D. et al. (1994). Thoracic trauma assessment formulations for restrained drivers in simulated frontal impacts. Stapp Car Crash Journal 38:15-34.
- Murach, M., Bazyk, A., Misicka, E., Kang, Y-S., Moorhouse, K., and Agnew, A. (2016) Utilization of a novel method for measuring cortical thickness to investiage variation with age in male human ribs. International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury. Malaga, Spain. 935-936.
- Murach, M., Kang, Y-S., Bolte IV, J., Moorhouse, K., Stammen, J., Stark, D., Ramachandra, R., and Agnew, A. (in press) Quantification of skeletal and soft tissue contributions to thoracic response in a dynamic frontal loading scenario. Stapp Car Crash Journal 62.
- Murach, M., Kang, Y-S., Goldman, S., Schafman, M., Schlecht, S., Moorhouse, K., Bolte IV, J., and Agnew, A. (2017) Rib geometry explains variation in dynamic structural response: Potential implications for frontal impact fracture risk. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 45:2159-2173.
- Novakov, I., Timonov, P., Stefanov, C., and Petkov, G. (2014) Rib fractures in blunt chest trauma - morbidity and mortality: self-experience study. Trakia Journal of Sciences 3:275-279.
- Parent, D., Crandall, J., Bolton, J., Bass, C., Ouyang, J., and Lau, S. (2010) Comparison of Hybrid III child test dummies to pediatric PMHS in blunt thoracic impact response. Traffic Injury Prevention 11:399-410.
- Pattimore, D., Thomas, P., and Dave, S. (1992) Torso injury patterns and mechanisms in car crashes: An additional diagnostic tool. Injury 23:123-126.
- Pelker, R., Friedlaender, G., Markham, T., Panjabi, M., and Moen, C. (1984) Effects of freezing and freeze-drying on the biomechanical properties of rat bone. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 1:405-411.
- Perz, R., Toczyski, J., and Subi, t D. (2015) Variation in human ribs geometrical properties and mechanical response based on X-ray computed tomography images resolution. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 41:292-301.
- Pors Nielsen, S. (2000) The fallacy of BMD: A critical review of the diagnostic use of dual x-ray absorptiometry. Clinical Rheumatology 19:174-183.
- Premaor, M., Compston, J., Aviles, F., Pages-Castella, A., Nogues, X., Diez-Perez, A., and Prieto-Alhambra, D. (2013) The association between fracture site and obesity in men: A population-based cohort study. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 28:1771-1777.
- Prieto-Alhambra, D., O Premaor, M., Aviles, F., Hermosilla, E., Martinez-Laguna, D., Carbonell-Abella, C., Nogues, X., Compston, J., and Diez-Perez, A. (2012) The association between fracture and obesity is site-dependent: A population-based study in postmenopausal women. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 27:294-300.
- Reid, I. (2010) Fat and bone. Archives of Biochemestry Biophysics 503(1):20-27.
- Riggs, B., Wahner, H., Dunn, W., Mazess, R., Offord, K., and Melton III, L. (198). Differential changes in bone mineral density of the appendicular and axial skeleton with aging. Journal of Clinical Investigation 67:328-335.
- Roberts, S.B., and Chen, P. (1972) Global geometric characteristics of typical human ribs. Journal of Biomechanics 5:191-201.
- Ruff, C. (no date) MomentMacroJ program. [internet]: Available at: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/fae/mmacro.htm.
- Sacreste, J., Patel, A., Got, C., Tarriere, C., Fayon, A., and Brun-Cassan, F. (1982) Proposal for a thorax tolerance level in side impacts based on 62 tests performed with cadavers having known bone condition. Stapp Car Crash Journal:155-157.
- SAE. (2007) Instrumentation for impact test-part 1- electronic instrumentation, J211/1. Warrendale, PA.
- Schafman, M., Kang, Y-S., Moorhouse, K., White, S., Bolte IV, J., and Agnew, A. (2016) Age and sex alone are insufficient to predict human rib structural response to dynamic A-P loading, Journal of Biomechanics 49:3516-3522.
- Scheuer, L., and Black, S. (2000) Developmental juvenile osteology London: Academic Press.
- Schoell, S., Weaver, A., Vavalle, N., and Stitzel, J. (2015) Age- and sex-specific thorax finite element model development and simulation. Traffic Injury Prevention 16:S57-S65.
- Sedlin, E., and Hirsch, C. (1966) Factors affecting the determination of the physical properties of femoral cortical bone. Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica 37:29-48.
- Seeman, E. (2007) Is a change in bone mineral density a sensitive and specific surrogate of antifracture efficacy? Bone 41:308-317.
- Shi, X., Cao, L., Reed, M., Rupp, J.D., Hoff, C.N., and Hu, J. (2014) A statistical human rib cage geometry model accounting for variations by age, sex, stature and body mass index. Journal of Biomechanics 47:2277-2285.
- Shurtz, B., Agnew, A., Kang, Y-S., and Bolte IV, J. (2017) Effect of chestbands on the global and local response of the human thorax to frontal impact. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 45:2663-2672.
- Sigurdsson, G., Aspelund, T., Chang, M., Jonsdottir, B., Sigurdsson, S., Eiriksdottir, G., Gudmundsson, A., Harris, T., Gudnason, V., and Lang, T. (2006) Increasing sex difference in bone strength in old age: The Age, Gene/Environment Susceptibility-Reykjavik study (AGES-REYKJAVIK). Bone 39:644-651.
- Sirmali, M., Türüt, H., Topçu, S., Gülhan, E., Yazici, Ü., Kaya, S., and Taştepe, I. (2003). A comprehensive analysis of traumatic rib fractures: morbidity, mortality and management. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery 24:133-138.
- Stein, I.D., and Granik, G. (1976) Rib structure and bending strength: An autopsy study. Calcified Tissue Research 20:61-73.
- Stitzel, J., Kilgo, P., Weaver, A., Martin, R., Loftis, K., and Meredith, J. (2010) Age thresholds for increased mortality of predominant crash induced thoracic injuries. Annals of the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 54:41-50.
- Subit, D., Sandoz, B., Choisne, J., Amabile, C., Vergari, C., Wafa, S., and Laporte, S. (2015) Rib length variation with age and sex- Measurements from high-resolution low-radiation X-ray images of volunteer subjects. Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV). Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Tommerup, L.J., Raab, D., Crenshaw, T., and Smith, E. (1993) Does weight-bearing exercise affect nonweight bearing bone? Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 8:1053-1058.
- Treece, G,, Poole, K., and Gee, A. (2012) Imaging the femoral cortex: thickness, density and mass from clinical CT. Medical Image Analysis 16:952-965.
- Tsitlik, J., Weisfeldt, M., Chandra, N., Effron, M., Halperin, H., and Levin, H. (1983) Elastic properties of the human chest during cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Critical Care in Medicine 11:685-692.
- Unger, S., Blauth, M., and Schmoelz, W. (2010) Effects of three different preservation methods on the mechanical properties of human and bovine cortical bone. Bone 47:1048-1053.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. (2004) Bone health and osteoporosis: A report of the surgeon general. Rockville, MD.
- Viano, DC. (1989) Biomechanical responses and injuries in blunt lateral impact. Stapp Car Crash Journal 33:113-142.
- Weaver, A., Schoell, S., and Stitzel, J. (2014) Morphometric analysis of variation in the ribs with age and sex. Journal of Anatomy 225:246-261.
- WHO. (2006) Global database on body mass index. http://apps.who.int/bmi/index.jsp. p URL.
- Yeni, Y., Brown, C., Gruen, T., and Norman, T. (2013) The relationships between femoral cortex geometry and tissue mechanical properties. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 21:9-16.
- Yoganandan, N., and Pintar, F. (1998) Biomechanics of human thoracic ribs. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 120:100-104.
- Zebaze, R., Ghasem-Zadeh, A., Bohte, A., Iuliano-Burns, S., Mackie, E., and Seeman, E. (2009) Age-related bone loss: The effect of neglecting intracortical porosity. Bone 44:S117-S118.
- Zhang, K., Cao, L., Fanta, A., Reed, M., Neal, M., Wang, J., Lin, C., and Hu, J. (2017) An automated method to morph finite element whole-body human models with a wide range of stature and body shape for both men and women. Journal of Biomechanics 60:253-260.