This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Passenger Car Handling Characteristics Associated with Space-Saver Spare Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 12, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Space-saver spare tires have become near-standard equipment in passenger cars, replacing full-size spares. The properties of space-saver spare tires (cornering stiffness, self-aligning torque, etc.) exhibit some differences when compared to standard size tires. We examine potential handling changes when a space-saver tire is installed on the vehicle by examining steady-state behavior, initial step steering response, and vehicle understeer gradient as functions of the mounting location of the space-saver tire (front or rear axle). Results show that space-saver spare tires perform well and are quite capable in low-ay, linear handling maneuvers.
|Technical Paper||Emergency Braking Test of the Ice and Snow Tires on Iced Drum Tester|
|Technical Paper||Increased Quality through Static Wheel Alignment and Automatic Toe Setting|
CitationMetz, L., "Passenger Car Handling Characteristics Associated with Space-Saver Spare Tires," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-5027, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-5027.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Metz , L.D. Force and Moment Characteristics of Two Space-Saver Tires SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1559 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1559
- HVE User’s Manual
- Milliken , W.F. and Milliken , D.L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics R-146 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers 1995 225 1-56091-526-9
- Bundorf , R.T. The Effect of Vehicle Design Parameters on Characteristic Speed and Understeer SAE Technical Paper 670078 1967 10.4271/670078
- Bundorf , R.T and Leffert , R.L.
- Jacquot , J. Car and Driver Magazine 22 2017
- Milliken , W.F. and Milliken , D.L. 172 173