This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Steering Feedback Perception of Average Drivers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 15, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Electromechanical steering systems (EPS) provide assisting steering force through an electric motor, often paired with a screw drive. The combination of an electric motor and a screw drive lead to high inertia and thus to a reduced feedback of tire force behavior at the steering wheel. This force behavior contains information about driving conditions and road surface. However, the electric motor can be used to actively enhance and manipulate steering feedback. This article describes the driver perception of modified steering feedback. The presented data is collected carrying out a driving simulator study with average drivers as test subjects. In this study the driver experiences a modified steering feedback at a change of road friction coefficient. Based on the test subjects ratings the perception, acceptance and controllability of the presented steering feedback modifications are assessed. Aim of this article is to present the objectivization of subjective ratings and to describe the applicability of modified steering feedback.
|Technical Paper||Study on Effects of Transient Steering Efforts Characteristics on Driver's Steering Behavior|
|Technical Paper||Dual-Mode Truck: Automated and Manual Operation|
CitationGrau, J., Sterthoff, J., Boßdorf-Zimmer, B., Henze, R. et al., "Steering Feedback Perception of Average Drivers," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-5015, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-5015.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Harrer , M. Objektivierung des Lenkverhaltens 17. Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug- und Motorentechnik Aachen 2008
- Brunn , P. and Harrer , M. 2004
- Grau , J. , Nippold , C. , Bossdorf-Zimmer , B. , Henze , R. et al. Objective Evaluation of Steering Rack Force Behaviour and Identification of Feedback Information SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9 3 1297 1304 2016 10.4271/2016-01-9112
- Schmidt , G. 2009
- Bartenheier , T. 2004
- Neukum , A. , Paulig , J. , Froemmig , L. , and Henze , R. Untersuchung zur Wahrnehmung von Lenkmomenten bei PKW Frankfurt FAT 2009
- Schumann , J. On the Use of Discrete Proprioceptive-Tactile Warning Signals during Manual Control Münster Waxmann 1994
- Buschardt , B. Synthetische Lenkmomente Düsseldorf VDI-Verl 2003