Study on Brake Disc Dynamics under Asymmetric Thermal Loads
Published October 5, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
In order to explore the generation mechanism of hot-spots on the automotive brake disc, disc tests under non-frictional thermal loads are carried out on the brake dynamometer test bench. In the tests, the oxy-acetylene flame is used as the heat source, and the distribution characteristics of the disc temperature and displacement are measured and analyzed. To confirm the mechanism of the disc deformation, a disc thermal buckling model using finite element method is established, and the key factors for the disc thermal buckling under thermal loads are further analyzed. It is found that the temperature circumferential gradient is small but the temperature radial gradient is large. The disc presents waviness deformation mode with 5th order in circumferential direction, which is the first thermal buckling mode of the disc. A method using spatial frequency spectrum has been proposed to find the critical time and load of thermal buckling. The heat source power and the rotational speed have no significant influence on the temperature and displacement circumferential and radial distribution of the disc. The temperature radial gradient is the main reason for the disc thermal buckling. The larger the temperature radial gradient is, the more easily the disc thermal buckling occurs.
CitationMeng, D., Liu, J., Zhang, J., and Zhang, L., "Study on Brake Disc Dynamics under Asymmetric Thermal Loads," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1901, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1901.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Meng, D. and Zhang, L. , “Review of the Hot-Spots Caused by Friction,” Journal of Tongji University: Natural Science Edition 42(8):1203-1210, 2014.
- Lee, K. , “Hot Spotting and Judder Phenomena in Aluminum Drum Brakes,” Journal of Tribology 125(1):44-51, 2003.
- Bryant, D., Fieldhouse, J., Crampton, A., Talbot, C. et al. , “Thermal Brake Judder Investigations Using a High Speed Dynamometer,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0818 , 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0818.
- Kasem, H. , “Thermal Levels and Subsurface Damage Induced by the Occurrence of Hot Spots during High-Energy Braking,” Wear 270(5):355-364, 2013.
- Sardá, A., Haag, M., Winner, H., Semsch, M. et al. , “Experimental Investigation of Hot Spots and Thermal Judder,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2544 , 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2544.
- Lee, K. , “Frictionally Excited Thermoelastic Instability in Automotive Drum Brakes,” Journal of Tribology 122(4):607-614, 1993.
- Cho, H., Cho, C., and Kim, C. , “Thermal and Mechanical Performance Analysis in Accordance with Disk Stiffness Changes in Automotive Disk Brake,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3661 , 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-3661.
- Ruan, C. and Zhang, L. , “A Study on the Bench Test of Friction-Induced Hot Spots in Disc Brake,” SAE Int. Commer. Veh. 8(2):310-315, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2694.
- Okamura, T. , “Interactive Effects of Thermal Deformation and Wear on Lateral Runout and Thickness Variation of Brake Disc Rotors,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9(3):1214-1226, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1939.
- Okamura, T. , “Effect of Material and Dimensional Homogeneity on Thermo-mechanical Deformation of Brake Discs during High-speed Braking,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 8(2):293-301, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2673.
- Kao, T.K., Richmond, J.W., and Douarre, A. , “Brake Disc Hot Spotting and Thermal Judder: An Experimental and Finite Element Study,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 23(3):276-296, 2000.
- Ma, C. , Thermal Buckling of Automotive Brake Disc (The University of Michigan, 2004).
- Fieldhouse, J., Bryant, D., and Talbot, C. , “Hot Judder - An Investigation of the Thermo-Elastic and Thermo-Plastic Effects during Braking,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(2):1086-1101, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1575.
- Panier, S., Dufrenoy, P., Brunel, J.F., Weichert, D. et al. , “Progressive Waviness Distortion: A New Approach of Hot Spotting in Disc Brakes,” Journal of Thermal Stresses 28(1):47-62, 2005.
- Dufrénoy, P. and Brunel, J. , “Thermal Localizations in Friction Brakes,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2568 , 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2568.
- Suryatama, D., Stewart, D., Meyland, S., Hou, L. et al. , “Contact Mechanics Simulation for Hot Spots Investigation,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0035 , 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0035.
- Meng, D. and Zhang, L. , “Theoretical Modeling and Analysis of the Thermal Mechanical Coupling of Ventilating Disc Brake,” Journal of Tongji University: Natural Science Edition 38(6):890-897, 2010.
- Meng, D. and Zhang, L. , “Effect of Initial Surface Runout on the Thermal Mechanical Coupling Characteristics of Brakes,” Journal of Tongji University: Natural Science Edition 40(2):272-280, 2012.
- Saidi, A. and Baferani, A. , “Thermal Buckling Analysis of Moderately Thick Functionally Graded Annular Sector Plates,” Composite Structures 92(7):1744-1752, 2010.