This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlation of Objective and Subjective Evaluation in Automotive Brake Pedal Feel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 5, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In order to establish the correlation between objective and subjective evaluation of brake pedal feel for passenger cars, road tests of brake pedal feel were carried out and an evaluation method was proposed. In the road tests, subjective scores and objective measurements were obtained under the conditions of uniform and emergency braking. The objective measurements include pedal preload, low deceleration pedal force and travel, moderate deceleration pedal force and travel, brake response time and brake linearity. Using the theory of analytic hierarchy process (AHP), the design process of the evaluation method was established. Key setups including the hierarchical structure model, the judgement matrix and the score calculation method of objective measurements were described in detail. Then, the correlation between subjective and objective scores was analyzed. It can be concluded that the evaluation method is effective and it can be applied to brake pedal feel assessment and adjustment.
CitationZhang, J., Meng, D., and Liu, J., "Correlation of Objective and Subjective Evaluation in Automotive Brake Pedal Feel," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1889, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1889.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Ebert, D. and Kaatz, R., “Objective Characterization of Vehicle Brake Feel,” SAE Technical Paper 940331, 1994, doi:10.4271/940331.
- Lee, S. and Kim, S., “Characterization and Development of the Ideal Pedal Force, Pedal Travel, and Response Time in the Brake System for the Translation of the Voice of the Customer to Engineering Specifications,” Proc IMechE Part D: J Automobile Engineering 224(11):1433-1450, 2010.
- Bryant, D., Fieldhouse, J., Crampton, A., Talbot, C. et al., “Thermal Brake Judder Investigations Using a High Speed Dynamometer,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0818, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0818.
- Hua, Q. and Chen, S., “Vehicle Brake Feel Evaluation and Brake Feel Index,” ShangHai Auto 2008. 214(06): 35-37, 46, 2008.
- Shi, Y., Yuan, X., and Cai, X., “Comprehensive Evaluation of Braking Pedal Feel of Passenger Car,” ShangHai Auto 2011 249(05):46-49, 2011.
- Dairou, V., Priez, A., Sieffermann, J., Danzart, M. et al., “An Original Method to Predict Brake Feel: A Combination of Design of Experiments and Sensory Science,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0598, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0598.
- De Arruda Pereira, J., “New Fiesta: Brake Pedal Feeling Development to Improve Customer Satisfaction,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3598, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-3598.
- AT, R., Badal, B., and Pol, S., “Co-Relating Subjective and Objective Brake Performance: A Case Study,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3204, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3204.
- Meng, D., Zhang, L., and Yu, Z, “A Dynamic Model for Brake Pedal Feel Analysis in Passenger Cars,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering August 18, 2015, doi:10.1177/0954407015598030.
- Kowalski, M. and Ebert, D., “Establishing Brake Design Parameters for Customer Satisfaction,” SAE Technical Paper 930799, 1993, doi:10.4271/930799.
- Pascali, L., Ricci, C., Caviasso, G., Petruccelli, L. et al., “Customer Orientation: A Further Target in Brake System Design,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0599, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0599.
- SAE International Vehicles and Equipment, “Subjective Rating Scale for Vehicle Handling,” SAE Standard J1441, Rev. Apr. 2007.
- Xu, S., Practical Decision Method: The Principle of Analytic Hierarchy Process (Tianjin: Tianjin University Press, 1988). ISBN:9787561800188.
- Zhao, H., Xu, S., and He, J., Analytic Hierarchy Process: A New Simple Decision Method (Beijing: Science Press, 1986). ISBN:97815031741.