This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Determination of the Heat Transfer Coefficient in Piston Cooling Galleries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Piston cooling galleries are critical for the pistons’ capability to handle increasing power density while maintaining the same level of durability. However, piston cooling also accounts for a considerable amount of heat rejection and parasitic losses. Knowing the distribution of the heat transfer coefficient (HTC) inside the cooling gallery could enable new designs which ensure effective cooling of areas decisive for durability while minimizing parasitic losses and overall heat rejection. In this study, an inverse heat transfer method is presented to determine the spatial HTC distribution inside the cooling gallery based on surface temperature measurements with an infrared (IR) camera. The method utilizes a piston specially machined so it only has a thin sheet of material of a known thickness left between the cooling gallery and the piston bowl. The piston - initially at room temperature - is heated up with warm oil injected into the cooling gallery. The transient of the piston’s outer surface temperature is captured with an IR camera from the top. Combining the temperature transient of each pixel, the HTC is later obtained through an inverse heat transfer solver based on one-dimensional heat conduction inside the piston material. To the authors’ knowledge, the current study presents the first application of an inverse heat transfer method for spatially resolved and experimentally determined heat transfer coefficients inside a piston cooling gallery. Preliminary measurements at standstill to demonstrate the method display an area of increased heat transfer where the entering oil jet impinges onto the wall of the cooling gallery.
CitationBinder, C., E, V., Norling, D., and Cronhjort, A., "Experimental Determination of the Heat Transfer Coefficient in Piston Cooling Galleries," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1776, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1776.
- Mahle GmbH Pistons and Engine Testing Springer Vieweg 2012 978-3-8348-1590-3
- Thiel , N. , Weimar , H.-J. , Kamp , H. , and Windisch , H. Advanced Piston Cooling Efficiency: A Comparison of Different New Gallery Cooling Concepts SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1441 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1441
- Jia , M. , Gingrich , E. , Wang , H. , Li , Y. et al. Effect of Combustion Regime on In-Cylinder Heat Transfer in Internal Combustion Engines Int. J Engine Res. 17 3 331 346 2016 10.1177/1468087415575647
- French , C.C.J. Piston Cooling SAE Technical Paper 720024 1972 10.4271/720024
- Torregrosa , A.J. , Broatch , A. , Olmeda , P. , and Martín , J. A Contribution to Film Coefficient Estimation in Piston Cooling Galleries Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 34 2 142 151 2010 10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2009.10.003
- Kajiwara , H. , Fujioka , Y. , and Negishi , H. Prediction of Temperatures on Pistons with Cooling Gallery in Diesel Engines using CFD Tool SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0986 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0986
- Yi , Y. , Reddy , M. , Jarret , M. , Shyu , P. et al. CFD Modeling of the Multiphase Flow and Heat Transfer for Piston Gallery Cooling System SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4128 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4128
- Pan , J. , Nigro , R. , and Matsuo , E. 3-D Modeling of Heat Transfer in Diesel Engine Piston Cooling Galleries SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1644 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1644
- Wang , P. , Liang , R. , Yu , Y. , Zhang , J. et al. The Flow and Heat Transfer Characteristics of Engine Oil inside the Piston Cooling Gallery Appl. Therm. Eng. 115 620 629 2017 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.01.014
- Kinell , M. , Utriainen , E. , and Jaksch , P. An Alternative Experimental Method for Establishing Detailed Internal Heat Transfer Coefficient Distributions of Complex Cooling Geometries Using IR Thermography ASME Turbo Expo 2014: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition Düsseldorf, Germany 2014
- Heidrich , P. , Wolfersdorf , J.V. , and Schnieder , M. Experimental Study of Heat Transfer in Gas Turbine Blades Using a Transient Inverse Technique Heat Transf. Eng. 30 13 1077 1086 2009 10.1080/01457630902922236
- Egger , C. , von Wolfersdorf , J. , and Schnieder , M. Combined Experimental/Numerical Method Using Infrared Thermography and Finite Element Analysis for Estimation of Local Heat Transfer Distribution in an Internal Cooling System J. Turbomach. 136 6 061005 2013 10.1115/1.4025731
- Carlomagno , G.M. and Cardone , G. Infrared Thermography for Convective Heat Transfer Measurements 2010 10.1007/s00348-010-0912-2
- von Böckh , P. and Wetzel , T. Heat Transfer Springer-Verlag 2012 9783642191824
- Vollmer , M. and Möllmann , K.-P. Infrared Thermal Imaging Wiley-VCH 2010 9783527407170
- Baehr , H.D. and Stephan , K. Wärme- und Stoffübertragung Sixth Springer 2008 9783540876885